Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Broken Yeti on Expedition Everest - Mystery Solved?

Multiple sources have confirmed that Disney's Imagineers have a VERY serious problem on their hands regarding the infamous "Disco Yeti". Expedition Everest enthusiasts have known for some time that the complex animatronic has been parked in B-Mode and Disney does not appear to be in any hurry to return the figure into its fully functional state. The concrete and steel foundation supporting the Yeti may be cracked and the repairs required will result a prolonged closure of the attraction.

If waiting until a scheduled refurbishment to repair the Yeti's foundation were the only obstacle facing Disney, then Expedition Everest fans' impatience would be tempered with the knowledge that the Yeti will eventually be fixed. But the real obstacle may be insurmountable.

You see, the Imagineers designed Expedition Everest as three separate and independent structures. First, the mountain itself. Second, the roller coaster track and track supports. Third, the foundation, support beams, and animatronic skeleton of the Yeti itself. Construction of all three structures was so complex that Disney had to rely upon a 4D software modeling program known as ConstructSim (a product of Bentley Systems, Inc) to help them coordinate the complex construction timeframe and coordination schedules.

There are rumors that a serious mistake in the application of ConstructSim resulted in improper staging of the Yeti foundation and support structure construction. The error in sequencing prevented adequate curing of a portion of the Yeti's foundation prior to the overlapping fabrication of mountain elements and roller coaster track. The premature construction produced additional stresses on the animatronic figure's foundation and produced excessive stress points. The mountain and roller coaster track construction, in turn, prevented the foundation from being visible to construction inspectors.

Expedition Everest was too complex in its design to allow construction without a 4D software like ConstructSim. Conversely, repair work on the Yeti's base will require selective removal of parts of the mountain structure and ride track structure. This refurbishment will also require extensive software previsualization. Disney's Imagineers must figure out what went wrong in the original construction previsualization before they can trust any future refurbishment previsualization.

A construction defect this critical in a project this complex can be a very daunting task for any organization to overcome -- even a group as talented as the Disney Imagineers. The question is -- will the Disney Corporate Bean Counters allow the Imagineers to fix the problem, or will they decide that "Disco Yeti" is "good enough"?

Re: Broken Yeti on Expedition Everest - Mystery Solved?

I could have sworn the reason has been known this whole time. I remember my coordinators telling me about it during my CM days while I was at WDW. They said that when the ride goes down for a major rehab, that's when Disco Yeti may be fixed.

Wow. That IS a problem.

Why is he called "disco yeti"?

The use of strobe lights instead of movement, gives the yeti an appearance of being at a Disco. So he is dubbed "Disco Yeti"
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I hope they fix it one day =( I never got to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post

You see, the Imagineers designed Expedition Everest as three separate and independent structures. First, the mountain itself. Second, the roller coaster track and track supports. Third, the foundation, support beams, and animatronic skeleton of the Yeti itself.

Expedition Everest was too complex in its design to allow construction without a 4D software like ConstructSim. Conversely, repair work on the Yeti's base will require selective removal of parts of the mountain structure and ride track structure. This refurbishment will also require extensive software previsualization. Disney's Imagineers must figure out what went wrong in the original construction previsualization before they can trust any future refurbishment previsualization.

A construction defect this critical in a project this complex can be a very daunting task for any organization to overcome -- even a group as talented as the Disney Imagineers. The question is -- will the Disney Corporate Bean Counters allow the Imagineers to fix the problem, or will they decide that "Disco Yeti" is "good enough"?
    I watched Joe Rhode, who engineered/designed the ride, explain the complexity of the construction once - he described the three separate systems, basically as you described them but with one difference - the yeti is the third system - the foundation and support structures are part of the mountain (first system). He said that they all had to be constructed at the same time and if one little piece goes in at the wrong time, the whole structure would have to be dismantled and started all over again. If the Yeti problem is as difficult as this information suggests that it is, the fix for this may not be as simple as removal of parts of the mountain - I think we're talking the worse possible scenario here - which isn't daunting, it's impossible. As much as I would love to see the Yeti work properly again, I'm behind the "bean counters" on this one if they decide to leave it alone. I don't want to see the ride dismantled so they can get the big audio-animatronic working again - it's a complete waste of time and money to rebuild the whole ride in an effort to fix something that you only see for a few seconds - It would take years to do it and that's not worth it to me. I'll still ride it a half dozen times the next time I go - I can't do that if it is dismantled.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Please fix, please fix...

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Shubisha

If it's impossible to fix without reconstructing the entire mountain, can't they maybe just rework some new foundation and relocate the AA outside the last tunnel entrance where there's some open space to work with and just make something up like he tries to grab you before you escape into the tunnel and you hear him screaming and chasing after you?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

if the Yeti figure was built up with the mountain and coaster, how was it protected from the weather before the mountain was sealed? Makes more sense that the figure was later attached to the structural system, when it could be protected from weather and construction mishaps.

•   
    • Minion

Would be nice if they fixed it I have never seen it fully. I have a video of the yeti and I watch it frame by frame so i can see him!!!! lol like a bigfoot video

• Minion

I'm no engineer, let alone Imagineer, but I wonder why they couldn't just build him a new arm. Sure, it wouldn't be the original effect as intended, and his movement would be limited to just the arm, but if I was in charge I'd consider it better than an entirely static figure (or no figure).

Re-doing the arm wont slove the problem, the foundation supporting the entire thing is cracked apparently. So the arm and body can not move or it will make the issue worse.

The only way to solve this (in the way you suggest) would be to remove the arm entirely from the AA and have an arm attached to another structure and make it look like its all one creature.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    if the Yeti figure was built up with the mountain and coaster, how was it protected from the weather before the mountain was sealed?
    The same way they protect anything else while construction is going on I suppose - tents, tarps, temporary structures, etc....

I believe the interview was in the Modern Marvels episode they did on Walt Disney World - There was a really good section on Animal Kingdom. I recently saw an updated version of the original one. I know that the discussion about the complexity of Everest is in the original. What was even more interesting, BTW, was how they built the Tree of Life - I didn't realize what they used for the structure of the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Would be nice if they fixed it I have never seen it fully. I have a video of the yeti and I watch it frame by frame so i can see him!!!! lol like a bigfoot video
    I have to say it was really amazing to see that huge thing reach down to try to scoop you up as you fly under him but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's literally only a couple of seconds at the most that you see him. I was just there in February - I rode Everest 2 or 3 times in a row - I miss the original, if I'm honest. I'd like to see him back to his old self but I looove Everest - I wouldn't want them to shut it down for that.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

DoctorQ9, your explanation jibes with everything I've heard and read about the problems of doing this fix. Just wondering, what is your source for info?

I've really hated to see fans posting statements like "those idiot Imagineers can't do anything", and "It's such an easy fix - why don't they get on with it? They're so cheap!", etc. These people have absolutely no understanding of what the problem is or what it would take to fix it. It's like that famous bullet hole in the glass at the Haunted Mansion (DL or MK?). They basically lowered this huge pane of glass down through the roof of the mansion, and it would be way too expensive and disruptive to take it out and replace it. So they drew on a spider over the hole, and now it's a special effect instead of a problem!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast