Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Death in Magic Kingdom 4/9

I witnessed a death at WDW today (presumably - it's not in the news yet).

It was in Town Square on a sidewalk, and appeared to be a collapse for medical reasons. I'm not a medical doctor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be caused by a sudden health problem (stroke, heart attack, aneurism, embolism, etc).

I watched much of it happen. The firefighter who administered the AED (onstage) was part of my party visiting that day, so we know there was no pulse and essentially no hope as they took the person backstage. While I haven't seen confirmation in the news of a death, it will shock my firefighter friend if this person was somehow revived (she was without a pulse for some minutes, including as they took her away).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Death in Magic Kingdom 4/9

Wow... so sad.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

At least they got to spend their last healthy moments at the happiest place on earth. Or at least the east coast version.

• Shubisha

So that's what it was. I saw flashing red ambulance lights and heard something was up.

• MiceAge Columnist

Update: the woman involved did indeed pass. I'll have more specifics in my miceage update this week. I tell the story not because it's "newsworthy" (people die at WDW all the time, actually, but if it's not on an attraction it's usually not reported)... but because of how much it affected me to see it.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have never actually witnessed a person dying. I must say, that I'm not quite sure how I would react. Sure I have seen death portrayed on television, and the movies. I have seen a deceased person, after the fact, at funerals, and in the hospital. However, actually being there at the moment where the life of a person's body leaves it, well again not sure what I myself would feel.

Life throws some difficult moments at us.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Wow Kevin, I am sorry that you witnessed that, and my heart goes out to the family involved. We will have to chat in person sometime. I had a similar experience at the BW.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I'm with the fighterfire Friend, I was Fire person for nine year and you see a lot time work on someome and do not make it and small do make it.
    All you can say you did your best, and time you wish you can do more.
    How days you have that AED around to use.

Yes sorry for the Family for the mother or wife.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Hello there

Blog Entries

That is sad news. My heart goes out to the family
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Witnessing someone dying is terrible. I've witnessed someone in my family pass away and it's the most horrible feeling you can get. Some events are even traumatic to a person witnessing it. My heart and prayers go out to the family.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have never actually witnessed a person dying. I must say, that I'm not quite sure how I would react. Sure I have seen death portrayed on television, and the movies. I have seen a deceased person, after the fact, at funerals, and in the hospital. However, actually being there at the moment where the life of a person's body leaves it, well again not sure what I myself would feel.

It's gut-wrenching, especially if it is someone you know, and even more so if it is someone you love.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• I'm a Lutheran

Prayers to the family and friends. And of course you and all others who witnessed it. I can't even begin to imagine how horrible it must be watching someone pass away. I got extremely nervous just looking at my great grandfather in his casket, I can't imagine how it would be like to see the person at the moment they move on.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

If it aids in comfort at all, remember that it is just the shell, (the sick body) that stays behind. I believe that the soul, or as I explain to my Children, the thinking and feeling part, goes on and a new body that never gets old is recieved.
    I know it is hard sometimes to understand now and God gave us a natural survival instinct, but in my opinion this is more than a faith, its fact about eternity. That must have been hard to see and I hope you get peace about it!
    Jewish American Disney Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

Having seen it up close & far away, with close relatives & people I've never met, and without going into details, the more emotional & physical distance the less affecting it is. And it's nothing like on TV & in the movies.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Having to witness someone dying is something that really burns into your memory...sorry that it is now part of your memories of WDW....I also feel bad for the family, that's so sad to happen at a place where your supposed to be enjoying yourselves as a family, and having something that traumatic happen..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast