Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    209

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by winder*wonder View Post
    Any special dining experiences?
    If you like the Blue Bayou, the San Angel Inn restaurant at the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot has a very similar, romantic, permanently nighttime feel. It is also next to the Grand Fiesta Tour boat ride, just like Blue Bayou is next to Pirates.

    Don't miss the School Bread in the Kringla Bakeri at Epcot's Norway pavilion. It is a fantastic sweet treat that I have not found anywhere else.

    Although I have not been there yet, the new Werner's caramel shop in the Germany pavilion looks like fun too.

    Two other Epcot table-service dining locations that offer views of the IllumiNations fireworks if you are able to get a waterside table are the Rose & Crown in the England pavilion and La Hacienda de San Angel in the Mexico pavilion.

    If you like animals, go for lunch or early evening dinner at Sanaa restaurant at the Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village and ask for a window table. You will literally see giraffes and zebras grazing on the other side of the glass!
    Which shows should we see?
    I really enjoyed the Lights, Camera, Action car stunt show at Hollywood Studios and the Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom. I didn't get to the Finding Nemo musical or the Beauty and the Beast show, but I've heard really good things about them as well.
    Any hidden treasures??
    Please don't let anyone tell you that Animal Kingdom is a half day park. Both the Pangani Forest Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek are wonderful for animal viewing. The latter also has great theming.

    Have a fabulous time!

  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    384

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    My number one advice: Rent a car, if it's financially feasible (I think parking is about $15 a day). The buses/shuttles aren't great, and can be pretty time-consuming.

    Let us know if you have anymore questions!
    If you are staying on the grounds (and you should - it's great) you won't pay anything to park - anywhere on the grounds.

    Also - I see that nobody has mentioned the Kilimanjaro Safaris - if you're going to do an Extra Magic Hours morning anywhere - I'd hit the Safari first. And get an early fast pass for Everest. Those are two of the things that really fill up fast in Animal Kingdom.

    Also - World Showcase has a lot of indoor attractions that will cool you down in the afternoon - O Canada (360 degree theater), Impressions of France, The American Adventure, Reflections of China, the Maelstrom (Norway), and Grand Fiesta Tour in Mexico. Also, I don't think anybody mentioned Spaceship Earth - like the rest of this list, it is a relaxing and entertaining way to cool off without having to fight too many crowds. Soarin is amazing but you'll probably need an early fast pass for that one.

    I'd get a hopper option added to your pass because while you may not want to spend the day in the park that is featuring the extra magic hours, spending the evening there is great - my favorite time to be in Magic Kingdom is during the extra magic hours evening. With the hopper, you can do one park during the day and something else in the evening. Also, it allows you to do a change of plan - if you walk into a park and it's mobbed, you can turn around and go somewhere else. During really busy times, it allows you to get the most of out of your pass.

    One other thing - this resort is huge - I mean HUGE. Bring a couple pair of comfortable shoes - and this is not the time to break in that new pair of sneakers - I did that once - oh my goodness was I miserable.

  3. #18

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,849

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Just do EVERYTHING!

    Get to the parks EARLY. You'll avoid the most wait times that way.

    Bring your patience. It will be crowded.

    Have a blast and take pictures, and post them HERE!

  4. #19

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    One point about Disney Hollywood Studios...the newest, hottest ride will be Star Tours 2, so you will have to show up before rope drop to ride it. I would say grab a fast pass for ST 2, then head over to Toy Story Mania to get in line for that while the wait times are still reasonable.

  5. #20

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    WOW!!!

    I didnt realize how much I dont about WDW! Thank you everyone!

    I am a bit wary of certain attractions like Tiki Room, F! and Potc, I love the originals in DL and I don't want to get ticked off with their Orlando equivalents.

  6. #21

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    10 minutes from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Oo if needed skip Toy story mania and star tours sinc they are bascically the same at disneyland!

  7. #22

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    700

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by winder*wonder View Post
    WOW!!!

    I didnt realize how much I dont about WDW! Thank you everyone!

    I am a bit wary of certain attractions like Tiki Room, F! and Potc, I love the originals in DL and I don't want to get ticked off with their Orlando equivalents.
    Funny you list the very three attractions that are downright shameful compared to Disneyland. Regarding pirates, perhaps if you are prepared to be disappointed it won't be so bad. It's much shorter, missing several scenes, no blue bayou, less detailed. A lot of people say the queue is better but I say "meh". It's one of the few attractions that is not worth comparing to DL, as opposed to say, Splash Mountain, where there are differences and similarities that make for a more fair debate of which one is "better".

    Regarding Tiki Room: Whatever you do, for Pete's sakes, don't do WDW Tiki Room (unless you really love the sound of Gilbert Gottfried's voice) You would be....Horrified!!!

    Regarding F!: I already told you it's vastly inferior, and another poster told you not to go at all costs. I didn't think I agreed with that until I see now that F! is near and dear to your heart... I don't know... If you have nothing else to do, and your choices are "go back to the hotel and twittle our thumbs" or seeing Fantasmic, then perhaps go see it, just so you can appreciate what you have back home even more!

    We do have plenty at WDW that DL does not have: Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress (even though it's terribly dated, it's really a wonderful attraction) Expedition Everest etc. There are a few attractions that some consider to be "better" at WDW (Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh...) but decide for yourself!

    Beside those three you list, are there any more that you are scared of being ticked at?

    You definitely should see "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" in Hollywood Studios. I think you'll really appreciate it! I'd say it falls in the category of "hidden treasure" since it is an attraction that is often overlooked.

  8. #23

    • I'll Break your Thumbs!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hollow Bastion
    Posts
    820

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    How are the crowds in late June? If kids are still in school, they should be pretty light
    the weather? HOT!!!

    Any special dining experiences? I always tell people that the best restaurant in all of Disney is Ohana' at the Polynesian resort. Best food on property.

    Any other parks should we see? (non Disney) Universal Islands of Adventure is amazing, and their new Harry Potter world is amazing.

    Which shows should we see? Is the fantasmic there better than DL? I never really see shows, so I can not answer this one for you. sorry


    Any hidden treasures?? Not that I can think of....

    How should we handle the crowds? Depends... I mean certain parks will obviously be more crowded at certain points in the day. MK is usually crowded during the day, because the kiddies are all ready to go nuts, while Epcot might be pretty tame at the same time period. If you have an iPhone or Android, get the free app that lists the wait time for rides (they arent 100% accurate, but give a good idea of wait times) so you can guage what parks to hit.

  9. #24

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,009

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    There is no way you can see the bad Tiki room show. It will either still be closed when you're down there because of that fire, or it will have reopened with the old show. I know Under New Management has given a lot of us some pretty bad post traumatic stress, but it's gone now. Have a good cry or whatever you need to do, but realize that Iago and Zazu can't hurt you anymore.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  10. #25

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    700

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by winder*wonder View Post
    WOW!!!

    I didnt realize how much I dont about WDW! Thank you everyone!

    I am a bit wary of certain attractions like Tiki Room, F! and Potc, I love the originals in DL and I don't want to get ticked off with their Orlando equivalents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    There is no way you can see the bad Tiki room show. It will either still be closed when you're down there because of that fire, or it will have reopened with the old show. I know Under New Management has given a lot of us some pretty bad post traumatic stress, but it's gone now. Have a good cry or whatever you need to do, but realize that Iago and Zazu can't hurt you anymore.
    Forgot about the fire, but the old show is coming back? Is that for sure?????

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    384

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Funny you list the very three attractions that are downright shameful compared to Disneyland. Regarding pirates, perhaps if you are prepared to be disappointed it won't be so bad. It's much shorter, missing several scenes, no blue bayou, less detailed. A lot of people say the queue is better but I say "meh". It's one of the few attractions that is not worth comparing to DL, as opposed to say, Splash Mountain, where there are differences and similarities that make for a more fair debate of which one is "better".

    We do have plenty at WDW that DL does not have: Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress (even though it's terribly dated, it's really a wonderful attraction) Expedition Everest etc. There are a few attractions that some consider to be "better" at WDW (Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh...)
    Why does one of them need to be proclaimed better? They're different - Pirates at WDW has to be different than the one in DL - it's not placed in New Orleans Square in Florida - that area doesn't exist - therefore eliminating the need for a Blue Bayou, however, it has a great queue. (which you'll also appreciate on a hot day BTW) There are trade-offs in either direction.

    If you go with the attitude that you're going to be, as you say, "ticked off" you'll miss doing too much. Give up trying to compare the parks - just do everything you have time for - it's a theme park (actually, it's FOUR theme parks, two water parks, 24 hotels, several golf courses, a sports complex, shopping district, and a race track)- it's supposed to be fun - not an exercise in critiquing. You'll enjoy whatever you choose to do because the place was created that way. Comparing WDW to DL is a waste of time anyway - the number of parks and the size of the WDW resort make that pretty much impossible.

    The Walt Disney World Resort is an amazing place - have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.

  12. #27

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,009

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    Why does one of them need to be proclaimed better? They're different - Pirates at WDW has to be different than the one in DL - it's not placed in New Orleans Square in Florida - that area doesn't exist - therefore eliminating the need for a Blue Bayou, however, it has a great queue. (which you'll also appreciate on a hot day BTW) There are trade-offs in either direction.

    If you go with the attitude that you're going to be, as you say, "ticked off" you'll miss doing too much. Give up trying to compare the parks - just do everything you have time for - it's a theme park (actually, it's FOUR theme parks, two water parks, 24 hotels, several golf courses, a sports complex, shopping district, and a race track)- it's supposed to be fun - not an exercise in critiquing. You'll enjoy whatever you choose to do because the place was created that way. Comparing WDW to DL is a waste of time anyway - the number of parks and the size of the WDW resort make that pretty much impossible.

    The Walt Disney World Resort is an amazing place - have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.
    I totally agree with this. As an east-coaster who has only been able to go to Disneyland 3 times, I try not to compare the two. On those rare occasions that I find myself in Disneyland, I like going on the other versions of rides that exist in Florida not to compare them, but to celebrate their differences. It's the closest a person can get to riding a favorite attraction again for the first time.

    Pirates has a totally different setup in Florida because it doesn't need to do the whole time travel business to get you from turn of the century New Orleans to the colonial era in the Caribbean. It has the Caribbean Plaza. As soon as you enter the building the siege has begun. Listen very carefully.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    700

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    Why does one of them need to be proclaimed better? They're different - Pirates at WDW has to be different than the one in DL - it's not placed in New Orleans Square in Florida - that area doesn't exist - therefore eliminating the need for a Blue Bayou, however, it has a great queue. (which you'll also appreciate on a hot day BTW) There are trade-offs in either direction.

    If you go with the attitude that you're going to be, as you say, "ticked off" you'll miss doing too much. Give up trying to compare the parks - just do everything you have time for - it's a theme park (actually, it's FOUR theme parks, two water parks, 24 hotels, several golf courses, a sports complex, shopping district, and a race track)- it's supposed to be fun - not an exercise in critiquing. You'll enjoy whatever you choose to do because the place was created that way. Comparing WDW to DL is a waste of time anyway - the number of parks and the size of the WDW resort make that pretty much impossible.

    The Walt Disney World Resort is an amazing place - have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I totally agree with this. As an east-coaster who has only been able to go to Disneyland 3 times, I try not to compare the two. On those rare occasions that I find myself in Disneyland, I like going on the other versions of rides that exist in Florida not to compare them, but to celebrate their differences. It's the closest a person can get to riding a favorite attraction again for the first time.

    Pirates has a totally different setup in Florida because it doesn't need to do the whole time travel business to get you from turn of the century New Orleans to the colonial era in the Caribbean. It has the Caribbean Plaza. As soon as you enter the building the siege has begun. Listen very carefully.
    Sorry guys, but no argument in the world is going to change my view of WDW Pirates. But I don't really want to debate you, I respect your opinions here, (really ) I just have a different feeling about it. I tailored my comments to address the original poster, who expressed concerns about how she would feel about a different version of some beloved attractions. I know I'm not alone in my feelings about Pirates, so I stand by my response. Some of us just can't help comparing, it's just in our nature! I think it's great you guys can just check out the differences without comparing. I compare in either park. I was lucky enough to go to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't help but notice that Tower of Terror didn't feel as immersive to me, or that the wallpaper in the stretching room of HM looked to be in bad shape, compared to Orlando. But hey, I still had a great great time, and will happily go on those attractions again next time I'm there
    Last edited by lily23; 04-15-2011 at 02:04 PM.

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    384

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Sorry guys, but no argument in the world is going to change my view of WDW Pirates. But I don't really want to debate you, I respect your opinions here, (really ) I just have a different feeling about it. I tailored my comments to address the original poster, who expressed concerns about how she would feel about a different version of some beloved attractions. I know I'm not alone in my feelings about Pirates, so I stand by my response.
    But this was sort of the point of my post - I have no desire to change your opinion or debate you. I'm simply suggesting that for the original poster to automatically pass on the WDW version simply because other people advise that DL's version is better would have her missing out on one of the most popular attractions in the park - and that's a shame because Pirates is a great ride in either park. If you enjoy spending your time in the parks making those comparisons, go for it-enjoy (I'm not sure how you make those comparisons once you step outside of MK but that's up to you) but for someone who hasn't been there (or can't remember it from childhood I think she mentioned), she'll probably enjoy a lot of things that those of us who go regularly might overlook - like Stitch's Great Escape (just kidding!).

  15. #30

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    613

    Re: Disneyland lover in a whole new world...with a couple questions

    The Best Crowd, Touring Plans (reduce time in lines) data is here:Disney World Vacation Planning | Disneyland Travel Planning

    The Book they produce (The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World) is highly recommended. (The Website is great to as it allows you to print off plans, and get the most up-to-date crowd data.).

    Boma at the Animal Lodge is awesome! highly recommend going there. The Food and atmosphere is great (and it's a little more laid back).

    It's more spread out that Disneyland, so the crowds IMHO aren't as compact, but the wait times (without a plan) can get up more.

    Most of the parks can be done in a Day (Animal Kingdom, Studios) plan several days at Epcot... And there is enough differences at Magic Kingdom that any Disneyland regular can still spend a couple of days there. When I was there last we kept joking how we always ended back at Epcot at the end of the day. =-).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •