Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'm confused... (re: Space Mountain)

Why does everyone on here say Space Mountain is rough? All 7 times that I went on it in January (my first time to WDW, btw), it was perfectly smooth. I went on both sides, too. Believe me- I know rough roller coasters and this ain't one of them.

P.S. I also prefer MK's Space to DL's now, too. Way more fun, with all of the drops and tight turns and MASSIVE airtime in the front seat!!
    I just wish they had discernable music ON the ride, instead of the completely unnoticeable soundtrack they currently have. That is my only complaint about it.

Blog Entries

Re: I'm confused... (re: Space Mountain)

Its not as rough as some old woodie coaster, but for a steel frame coaster it can be rough, especially for the limited speeds it gets to. Its not as rough as the awful rip rockit coaster at Universal, but its rough compared to DL's Space.

• Senior Minion

Different people, different opinions. I agree with you though.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Rough isn't the right term. Just herky-jerky. Really sudden and sharp turns with no real ease into them. Same with the drops whereas other coasters have a smoother transition into drops and curves the difference being that you're going a little faster.

• Minion

I grew up going to Disneyland and I have to say I loved the MK version of this ride (My first visit was in January as well). I loved that my knees did not get knocked around too much.

I'm one of those people who is sensitive to bumpy/rough rollercoasters. MK's Space Mountain is fun and I never miss it, but I do wish it was smoother. I prefer DL's version infinitely.

• Imagination is the Start

Space isn't rough, i feel it's more the fact that the twists and turns are more intesified because you can barely see them and the fact that ur right next to the hard wall of the car. In DL it isnt single rider thus adding paddig for when you go into the twists and turns. What scares me the most about Space is how low the overlaying track is, its the only coaster i wont put my hands up on.

Imagination is just the start

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

That's funny because I think these cars are way more comfortable than DL's. I *guess* I see what y'all are saying about it being jerky, but isn't that the point of having a roller coaster in the dark- to surprise you with quick movements like those? I think it's way more fun than DL's. Don't get me wrong- I love DL's dearly, but MK's beats that socks off of it, IMO. What I love about it is all of the unexpected drops and intense turns. And it's especially smooth, in comparison with the Mattethorn. Now THAT'S a jerky ride (but again, I love it )!

I was just expecting the ride to shake me to bits, going off of everything I read. But I wasn't and it turns out that it is one of my favorite things in all of WDW! Also never having to wait more than 10 minutes to get on it didn't hurt, either.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Different people, different opinions. I agree with you though.
    Ditto and Ditto. I like it way better than California's. But I can't say it isn't rough...

• Metro-Retro Historian

With its tight turns and sudden drops I'd call it more whippy than rough. I know it's semantics, but when I think of rough I think of the old wodden coasters that shake you so hard you practically get a concussion or bruises on your hips from being slammed into the sides of the seat.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeNameMLS View Post
    Space isn't rough, i feel it's more the fact that the twists and turns are more intesified because you can barely see them and the fact that ur right next to the hard wall of the car. In DL it isnt single rider thus adding paddig for when you go into the twists and turns. What scares me the most about Space is how low the overlaying track is, its the only coaster i wont put my hands up on.
    Hmm, can't agree with this assessment, I do think WDW space has a "bumpy-vibraty" feel to it, apart from the drops and turns, that I just don't care for. Bad as Matterhorn? No, but still, it bumps. Disneyland's Space glides, it's smooth. Just my opinion of course, but I enjoy the speed and turns a lot more when I don't feel like I'm being vibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    That's funny because I think these cars are way more comfortable than DL's. I *guess* I see what y'all are saying about it being jerky, but isn't that the point of having a roller coaster in the dark- to surprise you with quick movements like those? I think it's way more fun than DL's. Don't get me wrong- I love DL's dearly, but MK's beats that socks off of it, IMO. What I love about it is all of the unexpected drops and intense turns. And it's especially smooth, in comparison with the Mattethorn. Now THAT'S a jerky ride (but again, I love it )!

I was just expecting the ride to shake me to bits, going off of everything I read. But I wasn't and it turns out that it is one of my favorite things in all of WDW! Also never having to wait more than 10 minutes to get on it didn't hurt, either.
    Funny, I think just the opposite, that DL's version is the hands-down better ride. Just goes to show how subjective the theme-park experience is! I am truly delighted you prefer "our" ride...

Do you think perhaps the "unexpected drops and intense turns" seem more unexpected and intense to you because you're not familiar with the ride? I've been on it so many times, nothing "unexpected" about it for me (small drop, big drop, left turn, left turn, left turn, right turn). DL is always refreshing for me because I can't remember exactly what to expect.

I was surprised at how much I liked DCA Tower of Terror, because I heard it wasn't as good, and strictly speaking, it's not. But it was different, the drop happened before I expected it, and that just made it more fun for me, at least that first time
    Last edited by lily23; 04-29-2011 at 07:42 AM.

• Minion

Another vote for rough. I'm really having to decide if I want to ride SM on this next WDW trip, as the last one just about beat me senseless. As others have said, DL's is now very smooth, while WDW's is just flat out ROUGH!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It is the only roller coaster I felt like I was going to fly out of. Horrible ride. Definitely jerky.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I always thought Disneyland's was smoother and WDW's Beat the pulp out of you. I prefer WDW's though. I think the fact that you have to sit in a position that your not used to (Legs not bent) makes it much more fun. I love it rough
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

The only thing that I find rough about the ride is the sudden up down motions of the ride that make me feel like I'm going to slam my head into the track above me...

That track just appears just low enough to make me keep my hands down...but I wouldn't call the ride rough..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast