Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Original EPCOT Center

Hello there everyone. I don't usually go on this area of Micechat, but I thought I would post a thread on my favorite theme park ever. The original EPCOT Center. To me the original park was insanely better than what is there now. The original though provoking, informative and imaginative rides were replaced with mindless thrill rides. What do you think about this issue? Do you think we will ever go back to the original vision for EPCOT Center as a theme park?

• Minion

Re: Original EPCOT Center

I think we need a little more information as to what your specifically referring too.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I'm pretty sure I understand what the OP means. My first trip to EPCOT Center was with my parents in 1985. The park was only 3 years old at the time. I had been going to Disneyland for years and a kid, and just fell in love with EPCOT the moment I entered the park and after that first day experiencing Future World.

Even as a young guy I loved that it was educational, and entertaining. That first trip I took home loads of souveniers with anything that had EPCOT Center on them. I still have several of those first keychains and license plates, among other things. I remember purchasing the original LP album and listening to all the official music of the park over and over when I got home. I still love the original Illuminations, to anything that came afterwards as well as the original Universe of Energy.

While I welcomed the addition of Soarin' (the attraction, not so much the CA film) to The Land pavillion, they really ruined the atmosphere that used to be there by putting the queue inside. I wished they had designed it so you entered Soarin' from the outside and then exited into the main pavillion.

I would have been happier to see them add attractions rather than replace them. I'd love to see some new countries. I don't think the park will ever be what it was in the beginning, but we can only hope that it improves and things like the vacated Wonders of Life reopens with something that will be close to what was there before.

• Dreamer

EPCOT Center used to be more educational and scientifically advanced, but that was back in the 80s and early 90s. In the past 15 years they ran out of speculative fiction as most of it won't ever find itself in the real world and replaced many attractions with interactive nonsense that appeals more to kids than people of all ages.

I haven't been for ages, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My first visit to Epcot was in 1985. I was four and I remember alot about that trip which still surprises me. I too miss the old Epcot.

I miss the old Figment ride as I used to call it when I was little. It just isn't the same without Dreamfinder and figment together or hearing the full Imagination song. I remember the old ride that Nemo took over in the Living Seas. My 8th grade class took our class trip to WDW. We got to go behind the scenes in Epcot and take backstage tours of the Living Seas and The Land to see how they made all the food in Epcot that they used to grow and how they studied with NASA on improving how we can grow food in different ways.

I liked the old Universe of Energy before Ellen took over. It seemed to have more dinosaurs in it as I recalled and looked more lifelike than they are now.

I miss Kitchen Caberet. I don't know why but I always liked the broccoli that played the drums and wore sunglasses. I also liked Food Rocks which replaced it. That was around when my brother was little and had his first trip to WDW in 94. So many memories.

Oh and one last thing. I remember a panther or something close to it that would growl in the Mexican pavillion. It had something to do with the boat ride but as we ate inside it was cool to hear.

• Imagination is the Start

I wish they kept Dream finder on Figment, cuz older people that know the ride from the past know that Nigel Channing did NOT create figment. Dreamfinder is the one and only for that ride, I love what they did with the ride to be honest, but the loss of Dreamfinder was dumb.

IMO Soarin' Sucks. Its a good ride in Cali, but it belongs there, they literally took the ride from Cali and pasted it here. NO effort IMO. Using the same exact clips and all that jazz. I really don;t understand why people love the ride so much, but again that lessens traffic at the other rides. One RIP was Food Rocks, my family used to LOVE that show. It was one of my favorite attractions at the park.

Test Track is a great ride. I was to young to remember World of Motion that well but I am happy with test track, its more education then the next attraction.

Mission: Space - One of my favorite attractions for it gives you a thrill like no other, but in all honesty it doesn't belong. Horizons shouldn't have left, they should have updated it, made it better instead they put in a unneeded thrill right that people mostly just get sick on. I love the ride, but rarely go on cuz my friend that I go with doesn't really like the ride, gets her sick.

Spaceship Earth, Needed the refurb and the ending is IMO a lot better now that its interactive.

Innoventions is practically the learning center. except for the Segway section, namely cuz when they were introduced they WERE the way of the future but not so much anymore and the fact that its extra on top of the ticket, thats just plan wrong. But i think it teachs kids a good amount about saftey and how certain things work. Plus there's the cool sum of all thrills ride, its kinda short but its fun lol.

I wish I remembered more from the older EPCOT, It started changing over at that time in my life thats not easy to remember from like 5 to 14

I miss HIStA, Captain EO is ok but like it's hard to see multiple times unlike HIStA. again all IMO lol

Imagination is just the start

I loved World of Motion and miss it. I hate test track. I also miss Horizons. Body Wars I think it was called was similar to the Star Wars ride. It was pretty cool too.

Innoventions used to have so much interactive stuff and video games to play. lol!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    While I welcomed the addition of Soarin' (the attraction, not so much the CA film) to The Land pavillion, they really ruined the atmosphere that used to be there by putting the queue inside. I wished they had designed it so you entered Soarin' from the outside and then exited into the main pavillion.

I would have been happier to see them add attractions rather than replace them. I'd love to see some new countries. I don't think the park will ever be what it was in the beginning, but we can only hope that it improves and things like the vacated Wonders of Life reopens with something that will be close to what was there before.
    I actually wholeheartedly agree with these points. If Soarin' was somehow accessible from outdoors the atmosphere would have been a bit nicer as it once was at the land pavilion and not a mad house as it can be today IMO. there might have even been enough room to do a miniature, updated version of food rocks in the saved space, which would be a great addition .

I think that personally they were right to tear down world of motion for test track, however they should have kept horizons or even moved it when they built mission space. The main reason I believe Horizons met its demise and wasn't kept when Mission Space entered, is because it requires constant upgrading. the world is constantly changing as new tech comes out everyday and to be relevant Horizons would have to have an overhaul every 5 years to catch up with whats out there. Disney simply wasn't willing to keep the pace and knew they didn't want another Carousel of Progress type ride in future world so it joined the Disney attraction grave yard.

To conclude, I think your statement is correct in the sense that things should be CLOSE to before but not the same. I don't just want to ride the same attraction with figment and dream finder from the 70's, there should be progress in Epcot. A whole new wonders of life pavilion, or heck anything in that space that serves as an educational theme as long as its got some great rides a nice QS and some good shopping. A complete overhaul of the Imagination pavilion new show, an interesting 4D ride with figment, and reopening the all new 2nd floor. New countries in showcase, a revamp of universe of energy, test track, and inoventions, and thats the park I envision as the perfect, realistic, bright, beautiful, hopefully tommrow, for epcot

• Dreamer

My fondest memory of Epcot Center is Figment. I even had a stuffed animal version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    Body Wars I think it was called was similar to the Star Wars ride.
    O man i completely forgot bout the once great "Wonders of Life"...I miss it so, Only went in it once but I remember ever moment of it. It upsets me the fact that it's just vacant. They should just reopen Cranium command considering its still the only one thats full out still in the building. Just fix it up and have it open again...Like that would ever Happen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    Body Wars I think it was called was similar to the Star Wars ride.
    O man i completely forgot bout the once great "Wonders of Life"...I miss it so, Only went in it once but I remember ever moment of it. It upsets me the fact that it's just vacant. They should just reopen Cranium command considering its still the only one thats full out still in the building. Just fix it up and have it open again...Like that would ever Happen lol.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I'll try to avoid making this post into a book because this is something Icould likely ramble on about forever without running out of things to say.While World Showcase has remained almost perfectly faithful to its originalgoals, quite the opposite has happened on the other side of the lagoon at FutureWorld. It was the best of times; it was the blurst of times.

Future World faces the same problem as Tomorrowland, particularly theDisneyland version. The issue, which isn't really the cop out of technologyadvancing so fast, things would need expensive upgrades far too often. It isreally the fact that nobody at the company has the vision to look past currenttech trends into the real future of 20-30 years from now. If they do they'rescared of getting it wrong and looking foolish a couple decades down the line,like the VR headset in the final Carousel of Progress scene. If they shoot farenough, even if they miss, by the time they know for sure that they got itwrong it will be time for another update again... Like the Carousel ofProgress.

Fortunately at least for Disneyland's Tomorrowland, there are some very highlevel executives who have a real love and appreciation for what that park andthe concept behind it. Epcot doesn't seem to have anyone like that. There'snobody on the board of directors who has fond memories of visiting as a childor working there as a young adult. There is nobody there really gets EPCOTCenter and is willing to fight for its initial principles, and since it's not acastle park nobody can throw down the Walt card to justify anything thathappens there.

One of the positive signs I have noticed is, at least in the merchandisingdepartment classic EPCOT Center items have been making a comeback in recentyears. This could be because those of us who grew up when that park was firingon all cylinders are now all grown up and nostalgic and that nostalgia is apotentially lucrative demographic. Or perhaps the people who were kids in the80s, who really got what EPCOT Center was all about, are now old enough to holdpositions where they are making the decisions to put the park back on the righttrack. It may still be too early to tell, but I'm hopeful that they will turnthe corner.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• formerly very helpful

There's a long list of things that Epcot lost that are irreplacable:

Horizons tops the list.
    World of Motion was fantastic.
    Wonders of Life was wonderful. Attractions there like Cranium Command was funny and informative. The Making of Me brought a tear to the eye.
    Hydrolators in the Living Seas made such a difference.
    Journey Into Imagination. The REAL ride with Dreamfinder was a classic.

Oh well. At least I can go to You Tube.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    Do you think we will ever go back to the original vision for EPCOT Center as a theme park?
    The original vision for EPCOT was not a theme park at all. The Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow was the original concept; a real working city. It was also known as General Electric's "Medallion City" seen through the window of the last act of the 1964 World's Fair version of the Carousel of Progress, and later "Progress City" in the 1967 installation of the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland. It's the same model that was shown in a film of Walt describing EPCOT. A portion of the original model can still be seen on the PeopleMover. What we eventually got was a mash-up of two totally different and separate attractions, literally just pushed together.

• Minion

People just aren't as optimistic about mankind's future as they used to be anymore.

What they really need is an Imagineer with a city planning background to come in and re-theme Future World so all the buildings, artwork, signage, and landscaping are all harmonious. Maybe get NASA to consult on a space flight simulator in the syle of Mission to Mars/Flight to the Moon.

Maybe a Hall of Presidents-type show, but with scientists like Newton, Einstein, Tesla, Edison, Turing, Madame Curie, Lovelace and Babbage, etc. onstage talking about their inventions.

Heck, even bring Eli Whitney and his cotton-pickin' gin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast