Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why is the Main Street Electrical Parade still around?

I thought Magic Kingdom was using the MSEP just for the summer of 2010, and then it got extended into the Fall. And now I see it's back. Anyone know anything about when SpectroMagic will return? Or why MK is recycling this tired parade from CA again?

• Everything's satisfactual

Re: Why is the Main Street Electrical Parade still around?

I don't know exactly why it is still around, but I have one guess...money. Disneyland just made some major updates to the Electrical Parade, and they were very marketable as part of "Summer Nightastic" in 2009. WDW is very, very frugal at this point and probably wanted to bring in a cheap but popular summer offering, and of course, the choice would be the Main Street Electrical Parade. Also, Disney California Adventure could not hold the Electrical Parade due to the construction on the parade route, so there was no other choice.

They spent the bare minimum on it, not even replacing the lights that said "Disney's Electrical Parade/Presented by Sylvania" (the Presented by Sylvania portion does not light up). Supposedly there are updates being made to SpectroMagic for a "triumphant return" later this year/next year, but I wouldn't count on any updates.
    Walt Disney World May 1998
    Walt Disney World May 2002
    Walt Disney World March 2003
    Walt Disney World March 2004
    Walt Disney World September 2005
    Walt Disney World March 2007
    Disneyland August 2010

Check out my YouTube channel with Disney theme park music!
    Music of the Mastro Master

Visit my Disney entertainment blog!
    Disney Entertainment History

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    I thought Magic Kingdom was using the MSEP just for the summer of 2010, and then it got extended into the Fall. And now I see it's back. Anyone know anything about when SpectroMagic will return? Or why MK is recycling this tired parade from CA again?
    Cause it's awesome and it's a classic...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Shubisha

$$.

Disneyland was planning on getting rid of it anyways and only bringing it back soon after if World of Color bombed so it's no loss to them for now.

WDW did bring it to try and cash in on something similar to what Disneyland did with Summer Nighttastic, only without doing anything actually new.. since they've already become well established as not wanting anything to do with something like paying for a new parade :P But they get enough of a positive guest response that they have no problem just continuing it. It's probably the only chance they'll get to do the minor changes to Spectromagic that they'll play off as a big deal before running it for another 20 years.

Cool Re: Why is the Main Street Electrical Parade still around?

i can see how it might be tired to some, but i do love it so. the music makes me so happy!
    and always let your conscience be your guide

I think it's because of the constuction going on at Disney's California Adventure (where the parade normally runs). Once the parade route fully opens up there, it will most likely return to DCA and MK will get SpectroMagic back. *fingers crossed*
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Banned User

According to my DLR guru (otherwise known as Crazee4mm), the parade is at WDW because of the massive amount of construction at DCA. It will return to Disneyland for the 60th anniversary in 2015. It might return to DCA before then, but not before 2013 at the earliest (after CarsLand opens).

• Progressive Disneylander

Because MSEP is much, much better than SpectraMagic.

Much better.

• Imagination is the Start

Idk I like it. I love the music. Especially the beginning and the end with the Electronica type Fade in fade Out

Imagination is just the start

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    $$.

Disneyland was planning on getting rid of it anyways and only bringing it back soon after if World of Color bombed so it's no loss to them for now.
    When did they ever say they were going to get rid of it? Especially after the new updates, I'd imagine they'd want it to go pull in more people for Summer Craptastic Nightastic.

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemayhem View Post
    i can see how it might be tired to some, but i do love it so. the music makes me so happy!
    Yes to this. I prefer it hands-down over spectral magic, but I can understand that spectral magic-lovers are ready to have their parade back.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    If this is the way most WDWer's feel about MSEP, us people on the west coast will gladly take it back from you.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I like MSEP, but I would like to see a brand new parade. Not gonna happen, but it would be nice
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Mkcoastie

Red Face Re: Why is the Main Street Electrical Parade still around?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If this is the way most WDWer's feel about MSEP, us people on the west coast will gladly take it back from you.
    Don't be too harsh on us east coasters.....you have to understand that when we once again open our park maps to find a parade/atraction/ect. that was bused in from California.....we find ourselves talking with a bit of frustration. I would imagine that a lot of us love the MSEP (myself included), BUT.............to some of us it serves as a reminder that the powers that be in Orlando seem unwilling to give us the Investment that our beloved world deserves. While on the west coast you stand amidst walls of progress, we here on the east coast seem to be in a perpetual state of recycling what you are finished with. It's not that MSEP isnt a great parade, We just long for the day when we can have investment in something new and innovative not trucked in when someone else donsnt need it anymore....simply because it saves money.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    $$.

WDW did bring it to try and cash in on something similar to what Disneyland did with Summer Nighttastic, only without doing anything actually new.. since they've already become well established as not wanting anything to do with something like paying for a new parade :P But they get enough of a positive guest response that they have no problem just continuing it. It's probably the only chance they'll get to do the minor changes to Spectromagic that they'll play off as a big deal before running it for another 20 years.
    Hmmm... from what I've heard, Disneyland was actually really, really reluctant to let go of the parade after they spent all that money to refurbish it for Summer Nightastic (apparently WDW is infamous for not taking care of its parade floats - strange, considering how much longer they hold on to them than Disneyland does...). But WDW was desperate to imitate some of Disneyland's Nightastic success, but without doing any of the work involved like building new parades, upgrading to state-of-the-art Fantasmic dragons, or wasting money on such pointless things as enhancements to nighttime atmosphere. I think I heard that Burbank was even involved, in ordering Disneyland to hand the parade over, but I might be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    Don't be too harsh on us east coasters.....you have to understand that when we once again open our park maps to find a parade/atraction/ect. that was bused in from California.....we find ourselves talking with a bit of frustration. I would imagine that a lot of us love the MSEP (myself included), BUT.............to some of us it serves as a reminder that the powers that be in Orlando seem unwilling to give us the Investment that our beloved world deserves. While on the west coast you stand amidst walls of progress, we here on the east coast seem to be in a perpetual state of recycling what you are finished with. It's not that MSEP isnt a great parade, We just long for the day when we can have investment in something new and innovative not trucked in when someone else donsnt need it anymore....simply because it saves money.
    Quoted for truth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast