Dine With a imagineer

When im going to WDW the end of this year i have a question.
    What is it like Dining with a imagineer? Who was it? What happened?
    Me and my sister really want to do this on our trip so we really excited for this
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Dine With a imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoy View Post
    When im going to WDW the end of this year i have a question.
    What is it like Dining with a imagineer? Who was it? What happened?
    Me and my sister really want to do this on our trip so we really excited for this
    I have done it twice now, and DEFINITELY recommend it! It's basically a lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby (a private room which only accomodates less than 20 people.) You have your lunch and the Imagineer will tell you stories about his job, what it entails, etc. He (or she) will also answer any questions about the program, what it takes to be an Imagineer, etc. The only thing they do not answer is any questions about future developments (I was there when Mansion was being refurbed with Spaceship Earth, but he wouldn't budge. His Nextel did go off asking about the portraits though. )

I don't remember who I had the lunch with off the top of my head and my info is at home, but I do remember it was 2 different Imagineers and both were great to talk to. I will say sometimes the people you're with aren't the best bunch; my group had an 8-10 year old spouting armchair Imagineering ideas out nonstop which made questions more difficult, but I did try it again and am glad I did.

You also get a personalized menu and a nametag, as well as a commemorative plate.

They also have offered a dinner at Artist Point and now they offer dinner at the Flying Fish Cafe. The food at the Brown Derby is well worth it (absolutely wonderful!), but I am ready to try the dinner for a new experience.

You will NOT be disappointed. It's one of the great things about WDW - a really unique and fantastic experience!

Here's the link from Allears: Dine with a Disney Imagineer
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Hukuna Matata!

I have never heard of this. I would love to try it.

• The Pumpkin King

Sounds really cool, id love to do that

Thank you Flamingo
    Im really sure about this and cant wait to do at the end of the year!

I wouldnt ask questions like Build a mary poppins ride idea XD
    I would say about how long a new effect would take to perfect if making one.
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

I did this for my birthday trip to WDW in February. Getting to hear his take on different little things and understanding how much he loved his job really added even more appreciation of how much details they put into attractions for me. The food and service were incredible as well, the whole experience was...and I don't think she was supposed to, but when I gave the server my room key to charge it to my room she ended up just debiting my dining plan the two points a regular lunch at the Brown Derby would have been (so I tipped her really well instead).

Ours was a set dresser, it is his and his team's responsibility to add the props to an attraction. For example, he spoke about finding a vase for the WDW Haunted Mansion and how long he pursued it and the budget increases to get it. It's just so amazing how much they put into things and how much they don't settle once they have their story in mind.

Very much worth it, I will do it again on my next birthday trip without a doubt.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

A friend and I did this on a trip in January '09. I recommend it with reservation. Dining at the Brown Derby in a private room was remarkable. The food excellent, the service exquisite.

The lunch conversation? Uncomfortable at best. Part of it was the Imagineer assigned for that meal. I won't reveal his name but he did tell us at the start that he's generally not very sociable but he'd do his best to answer any questions. He made a side comment, in his nervousness, about doing it for the free lunch.

The other part were the guests. One pair was a married couple who didn't know what they'd signed up for in their wedding package and had nothing to contribute, the other guests a pair of fanboys with pads and pens who kept pumping our Imagineer for information he simply, and gracefully, could not give.

The rest of us carried along polite conversation with each other and the Imagineer, the topics generally veering to how good the food was. (I'll never forget that Cobb Salad!)

Our Imagineer did his best to talk about his aspect of working at the World which was interesting, but when asked anything beyond a job description he couldn't tell us much. Although he did become animated when telling us about a project that was in the works at the time at gave us some clues as to what to look for so we could notice his contribution.

In short, it was an awkward lunch. However, somehow it was a quite remarkable experience, yet one that I felt was left lacking. With a more game Imagineer I'm sure it's wonderful. Overall we had an enjoyable, elegant, and leisurely meal and I'm glad that we went.

• Purple Crates ♥

I did this a couple years ago for my birthday, and I had a great experience. I had the lady (forget her name now) that designed the decor for the dream suite as well as stuff in AK Lodge.

I dined with an Imagineer aboard the Disney Magic back in 2005. There had been an Imagineering presentation on board and afterwards, I hung around to chat with him. After standing outside of the Buena Vista Theatre chatting for about 10 minutes, he asked me if I'd like to grab lunch at Lumiere's. Sadly, I don't even remember his name, but over lunch we talked about the Magic and Wonder, along with lots of WDW stuff (no future plans though). It was a dream lunch and I kept my inner Disney Nerd to myself. Instead of pressing for insider info, I went where ever the conversation went, letting him guide the way. I also got some cool Imagineering "office supplies" from the trivia portion of the earlier presentation, and also a WDI pin at lunch. All in all, it was an awesome experience.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• Ravenclaw

I dined with Imagineer Joe Warren and it was really fun! The food was super! The best I've had on property! Also, the imagineer, though not what I had quite hoped for, was great. He designed the billboards in DHS, well some/most of them, and was working on the Art of Animation hotel room artwork too. There was another lady who's name I forget, maybe Kathy something but I don't think so. She worked in a finance area of Imagineering and was how I learned that Kodak had indeed left the Imagineering Pavilion, well learned as a true answer. I was shy which I'm disappointed I was, and didn't talk as much as I could have and let my Disney nerdom reign out into Beastly Kingdom. Other then that he talked to the people at our table a lot and talked of stories.

I definitely recommend this experience.

Add me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000478611833
    Or Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/disneysroyal411
    Add me on skype! I'm michael.good411
    Add me on Xbox Live- royalfool101
    Add me on PSN- royalfool101

• Minion

you can find my review here. I would highly recommend it. Link is below.

Anyone done the dine with a imagineer?