• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Electric Cart Question

Hey all,

I'm heading to Orlando pretty soon. We're doing DHS, EPCOT, and MK, in that order, from 6/12 through 6/14. Recently, however, my step mom suffered a fall and had to be placed in a walking boot with crutches due to injuries to her foot/ankle. She's used a wheelchair at times as well.

Given the size of the parks and the heat of Florida, we were considering renting an electric cart for her to use because it would be pretty difficult for her to crutch around the parks and it would be difficult for a simple wheelchair as well due to her height.

I was wondering if there were any policies/information that I should be aware of. If the official Disney site has any information about this inquiry, if you all could let me know, that would be great.

Thanks, guys. You're all awesome.

Re: Electric Cart Question

If you have the money, they have the scooter. No requirements.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

How much do they cost?

I believe it's $50/day plus $20 deposit.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

My dad has mobility issues and we use walkermobility.com When you check in at the hotel it will be there waiting for you and it is yours for as long as you are on property. Both the buses and the monorail will allow you on with it. Basically my dad gets up in the morning and has the scooter to get from the hotel to the parks and back. Have a great trip.

• Minion

I broke my foot on the first day of my stay last week, and ended up renting a scooter from Walker Mobility, on the recommendation of my sister, who'd used them before. I don;t have my bill with me, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 for four days. Here's a link to their site:

Scooter Rentals Orlando, Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World visitors

They delivered to my Disney resort very quickly, and picked it up there when I was done.

There are no regulations, but I learned a few things you might find useful:

BRING YOUR CHARGER WITH YOU TO THE PARK! I was very glad I had, because one charge didn't last me the whole day. A CM can help you find an electric outlet for an emergency charge.

Many rides - Pirate of the Caribbean, for example - won't let you bring the scooter very close. I ended up crutching at least 200 steps to get from the scooter parking area to the ride. So be prepared to do *some* crutching.

The Disney bus drivers are very helpful. Be sure you're right out there at the front of the bus stop so they can load the scooter on first.

I saw lots of people letting little kids ride on the front or back of the scooter, and I saw more than one fall off, or get bumped when people ran into the scooter. Official policy is no extra riders, but it's not enforced.

A backpack is better than a purse when you do have to crutch.

There are a lot more hills and ramps in the park than I thought! You have to turn the power up to 100% to get up a lot of them.

I know that one of the Big restaurants has many free wall outlets through their dining rooms so that you can charge just about anything. Cast members usually don't care if you use the wall outlets or not. Afterall, if they didn't want you using them, they would've put a locked cap over it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003