Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Vroom, vroom!

Haunted Mansion Interactive Queue, The Argument between a purist and a mom.

SO
    Here I am for the first time writing in something for Disney World instead of Disneyland.
    Specifically My opinion on the new HM interactive Queue,
    I just do not like it, the interactive queue, For many reasons, The main reason is that there is no subtlety and it lets the cat out of the bag about how the ghosts are inside, Yes with a Name like Haunted Mansion one would assume that there are ghosts in there, but who knows what the tone of them would be, with the new interactive grave yard, well... yeah It comes off as kid friendly and kooky.
    Now, I was looking at a video of the Queue, and I actually found a lot of parents felt that the interactive queue was wonderful, and that its a godsend for parents of very little kids, because it makes them actually want to ride the ride.
    and I got into a very, short argument with one fellow commenter, Here are the actual quotes From THIS VIDEO
    follow along and tell me, what is your opinion on the new queue.

First spoken by, FloridaHeartMomma
    its not supposed to be scary! it's disney! it's supposed to be "kooky" and fun for children. the scariest disney has ever gone is "The Nightmare Before Christmas". C'mon, it's for kids people.

Scary Scott Responded
    To FloridaHeartMomma

O.K. To say that because it is Disney does not mean that its automatically for kids.
    Also The new queue erases all the sense of mystery to the haunted mansion making it seem fully kid friendly, really if you think about it, the ride isn't until after the attic scene. the first half from the moment you enter the stretching room, till you leave the attic is atmospheric and genuinely scary and creepy and has been at disneyland since 69 and Disneyworld since 71.

FloridaHeartMomma Came back with....
    I'm really tired of ppl assuming that because it's a haunted mansion, it's supposed to be scary, and/or because other disney parks have decided to make their haunted mansion scarier, then WDW's HM must be scary too. On a level of 1 to 10 is like a 4 in scariness. WDW has decided not to make their mansion all that scary and has opted for a more "kooky" feel and parents of the park are overall appreciating that. It's well liked. So get over it everybody.
    Ok, So with all said and done, tell me what side are you on? Post comments here and lets have a civilized and educated approach be made here.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Re: Haunted Mansion Interactive Queue, The Argument between a purist and a mom.

Well, as a purist and a mom, my feelings about it are a bit ambivalent. I certainly prefer it the old way. I'm a mother of four, all of whom have been riding HM since infancy, and have (almost) never been scared of it. Only one of my kids was scared of it, around age two or so, and I should have skipped it then. There is PLENTY for small kids to do. They don't have to ride HM and it could have been left more creepy for the older crowd, older meaning age 7 or 8 on up to adulthood.

However, having experienced the attraction with it's new changes a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, I personally don't find the changes to be as detrimental to the original feel and concept of the ride as many people are saying. Just my opinion, I agree with the general idea that it's somewhat less spooky, but it's not so drastic as some would have you believe. I also feel quite strongly that you can't experience it properly by watching a video at home. I saw the video first, and it all looked a lot worse on video than it did in person.

I do hope they do not make the same changes at Disneyland. For some reason my "purist" feelings run a little deeper concerning that particular park, probably because it is the park of my childhood, and because it is the original; whereas WDW is the park of my children's childhood.

By the way, my fourteen-year-old son did NOT like the changes, said the hitchiking ghosts seemed more "fake" (same kid who was scared on the ride that one time when he was two)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I think the word ambivalent works. I wish I was passionate one way or another, but the old effect didn't make the ride, and the new effect isn't so spectacular that I am raving about it.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Nutty about Disney parks

She sounds like one of those ignorant moms who uses Disney movies as babysitters and thinks it's all just for kids.

What they did with the Haunted Mansion queue is pure overkill. I'm sure an interactive queue could've been done that would still be appealing to all ages without being so cluttered and so tacky.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    She sounds like one of those ignorant moms who uses Disney movies as babysitters and thinks it's all just for kids.

What they did with the Haunted Mansion queue is pure overkill. I'm sure an interactive queue could've been done that would still be appealing to all ages without being so cluttered and so tacky.
    In the same respect, I've read an awful lot of ignorant opinions on here given by people who are clearly so involved in their undying adoration for the storyline of a theme park attraction that they are entirely disconnected from the concept of pleasing and entertaining 99% of visitors to the Magic Kingdom.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

I saw it in person last week, and my opinion remains that while the concept wasn't wholly without merit, the execution, from blueprint through construction, was so poor that the final result is a minus rather than a plus. Even on the most crowded day I was there, there was no gaggle of happy kids and moms whooping it up in the queue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

People were touching it, and having fun, but there are so many hands on the stuff, that it is hard to complete any of the puzzles that are there.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Closed Account

well a stupid soccer mom is NOT going to knwo ANYTHINHG about theme park design/aethetics/or sense of purpose. They ONLY look at EVERYTHING through thier chile and if thier child loves say.... Stitch's Great Escape.. then by god Stitch is the greatest attraction since Indy to the parent. I love how one of them the scariest thing Disney's done is NBC?? Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... SEE? Obviosuly this ignorant woman has never seen a witch tryiing to kill her stepdaughter, the Russian devil on Walpugers night, Dumbo's mother "losing it", boys turning to donkeys and being whipped and the creme de la Disney scary creme....THE BLACK CAULDRON And Return to Oz. I wanna see her kids watch those two. Gimme a break....

• Closed Account

i always said if WDW mothers took thier kids to DL and DLPs Fantasyland they wouldn't last 5min in there.

I must say that when I first heard about this interactive queue coming, I was extremely excited about it. HM, for me, has one of the longest and most uninteresting waits in the park. Usually, you can watch the ride in progress and see the people's faces on them while you're waiting or, if you're inside, you have stuff to look at related to the ride. I always compare HM to ToT because they seem similar in concept (and if you want to make the arguement that not everything in a Disney park is for little kids, that's a great example right there!). With ToT, you can't really see the ride in progress but there is so much around you that helps set the tone of the ride. I was really hoping for some of that in HM. A stroll through the grounds, gardens, family graveyard, etc, things that would have set the mood and maybe given us a little history of how the mansion came to be haunted. If they wanted to go with the Black Widow story (which I never picked up on as a kid) they could have incorporated all of her dead husband's tombstones into the queue with witty epitaphs. Granted I haven't seen it in person, just the video, so I'm trying not to comment on the actual individual items they put into the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    well a stupid soccer mom is NOT going to knwo ANYTHINHG about theme park design/aethetics/or sense of purpose. They ONLY look at EVERYTHING through thier chile and if thier child loves say.... Stitch's Great Escape.. then by god Stitch is the greatest attraction since Indy to the parent. I love how one of them the scariest thing Disney's done is NBC?? Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... SEE? Obviosuly this ignorant woman has never seen a witch tryiing to kill her stepdaughter, the Russian devil on Walpugers night, Dumbo's mother "losing it", boys turning to donkeys and being whipped and the creme de la Disney scary creme....THE BLACK CAULDRON And Return to Oz. I wanna see her kids watch those two. Gimme a break....

wow. Apparently having children makes you instantly stupid.
    I've never thought haunted mansion is scary, or was meant to be scary. Its spooky. Disney didn't design the parks for only angst ridden teens who buy park tickets with their allowance, but for families, for everyone young to old to enjoy. In my opinion the ride reaches all ages, it has the spooky, but its done in quirky way. Its a perfect combination. That said, when I heard about the queue changes I was actually quite unhappy with the idea, but seeing it in person changed my opinion. I found it did add to ride experience. Sure we didn't have time to do all the puzzles, but for the time we did spend in line it was entertaining, which I suppose that's a good thing. The ending I'm still on the fence, I liked it.. My four year old loved the changes and talked about the ghost switching our heads for the rest of our trip, and being a stupid soccer mom, I like it when my child enjoys something. However I do miss the classic feel.

Blog Entries

I checked out the new interactive queue this weekend and its fun. It certainly doesn't ruin the attraction in the least. I don't think it makes it better, but it does keep people entertained during a longer wait. If you want to complain about something ruining the mansion, then look at operations insistence to push everybody in past the lobby and directly into the stretching room. You completely miss the pre-show in the lobby with the photo changing and head straight into the stretching room. To me that ruins the mansion far more than a simple queue upgrade.

The problem is I don't see much justification or evidence that it wasn't pleasing those young children to begin with. As a child and mere casual visitor I was so enamored by the queue that it became an equal to the ride itself. It was great quality family time, something that in it of itself was a mixture of dark humor and slow building horror. I obviously couldn't analyze it so well at the time, or determine that it was the tone, execution, seclusion, and scenery that made it so enjoyable, but the fact is it was all those things.

The point? They managed to appeal to me at a young age with something that can appeal to anyone at any age. Its this concept that creates the need to return. Where as the alternative, which is focusing solely on 5 year olds is a problem because when they inevitably turn 6, they won't have that same desire to return. On one hand you have visitors for life, on the other hand you're limiting your appeal.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I'm going to have to wait and see it in person before I give my final judgement call...

as it stands right now from the pictures I've see it could be something fun and interesting for the young ones, but to me it looks very cluttered just from looking at the photos...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    I'm going to have to wait and see it in person before I give my final judgement call...

as it stands right now from the pictures I've see it could be something fun and interesting for the young ones, but to me it looks very cluttered just from looking at the photos...
    "Cluttered" is a very good word for it. When I went through it, there wasn't room to stand back far enough to get a good look at anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast