Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Not here to help

One big waste of money

I may be naive but I always thought that if one wants to do something it always pays off to do it good.

A few weeks ago was the first time I went on Space Mountain after the ride was refurbed. It was really not as bad as I remembered it. I did not notice that it felt smoth or new in any way though. Infact... the ride looks just as old as I remembered it. I know there are some new games and a few new effects... but... this is the very same thing as ever.
    Why on earth did Disney waste money on a ride with out changing it? Atleast they could have renewed the floor in the waiting line area. It looked like it was the floor of an ancient pyramid and not a themepark ride in a place that is supposed to be the future. The music on the ride was... impossible for me to hear. I rode it many times but could not make out any music. There was some noice... perhaps that was the music. I like the ride more today than I did before. But to me this is one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever heard of.

There is ALOT that needs attenttion in WDW. Having seen Space Mountain I have to say that they made a terrible job. If this was the best Disney could do then any hopes on improvement on other rides is lost. Look at rides like Expedition Everest with a non moving almost invisible Yeti or the Big Thunder Mountain with a huge hole on the left side in the non working
    falling rocks. The Yeti was EXPENSIVE. It still just stands there in the darkness with a cheap strobe light partially making it visible for half a second. One thing that also made me wonder what is going on over at Walt´s World is why did EVERY single ride we went on stop or have some kind of problems, big or small, at one point or another? Most guests do probably not notice the details... but still I heard people mentioning things and how it "used to" work.

What are they taking their guests for? Blind idiots?
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 06-18-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: One big waste of money

This could be merged with any of the current WDW bashing threads in the forum right now.

There's also a blog devoted to the "disco yeti" issue and other maintenance issues at WDW called the Disco Yeti Blog. I suggest checking that out. It's pretty funny and true to the point.

• Minion

ORWEN: Hi, Timmy! Us Cauldron girls feel your pain. We just swooped down into the Magic kingdom ourselves, today, and just got back home to Morva a few minutes ago. We agree that the refurb for Space Mountain wasn't anything to crow about.

ORDDU: But on the plus side, we saw that the jumping Br'er Rabbit inside Splash Mountain was working--for today at least.

ORWEN: But there were other effects that were not working inside Splash Mountain--such as the running shadows over the hill next to the tree house where the little bunny is sweeping his front porch.

ORDDU: Perhaps you might consider a trip to Morva some day soon? The special effects I'm working on NEVER fail!!!

ORGOCH: Got Life Insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    But there were other effects that were not working inside Splash Mountain--such as the running shadows over the hill next to the tree house where the little bunny is sweeping his front porch.
    Dang, is that out again? It didn't work for years and then I was delighted to see it working again on my last couple of visits. But it's not working now??? That one is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

(And yes original poster, the Space Mountain refurb is a big disappointment)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Most of the money on the space mountain referb went to safety upgrades that are not visible to guests.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

ORWEN: Yes, lily23, duckling--the cute little running shadow effect was down today--June 18th, 2011. It seems to come and go. When we were there a month ago it was working but the jumping Br'er Rabbit wasn't. Now it's the other way around.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Most of the money on the space mountain referb went to safety upgrades that are not visible to guests.
    There is alot more than safety to a Disney ride. It truly felt like the oldest Space Mountain... in the universe.

I did not intend to bash WDW. I was just disapointed over and over for ten days. It was a great stay... but my memories will be stained by the bad parts. The yeti deserves to be mentioned over and over until they fix it.

I give the resort 4-6 years to get better and I will make a new judgement then.

Perhaps I´ll check out Morva the next time insted.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    There is alot more than safety to a Disney ride. It truly felt like the oldest Space Mountain... in the universe.

I did not intend to bash WDW. I was just disapointed over and over for ten days. It was a great stay... but my memories will be stained by the bad parts. The yeti deserves to be mentioned over and over until they fix it.

I give the resort 4-6 years to get better and I will make a new judgement then.

Perhaps I´ll check out Morva the next time insted.
    But you do it so well on many of your previous posts! I don't know why they spend the money the way they do - There is a list (on another site) that has all of the things on which maintenance is currently being done. I get the feeling that these projects get scheduled waaaay in advance - so the funds are committed and then other things come up. As for the Yeti - you can keep complaining until you're blue in the face - the process to fix this (as we've been discussing on another thread) may very well involve taking certain parts of the ride apart and rebuilding - I don't want the ride shut down when I there - what about everybody else? Most of us would rather ride it with the non-functioning Yeti that is only seen for a few seconds than give up the ride for over a year.

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't know about that celticdar, duckling. It's like asking if a witch would rather be married to a non functioning man just so she could make the honest claim of being married. But what's the use of being married if your man is non-functioning? It's the same with the Yeti. He needs to be functional, too, or guests are missing out on a lot.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    But you do it so well on many of your previous posts! I don't know why they spend the money the way they do - There is a list (on another site) that has all of the things on which maintenance is currently being done. I get the feeling that these projects get scheduled waaaay in advance - so the funds are committed and then other things come up. As for the Yeti - you can keep complaining until you're blue in the face - the process to fix this (as we've been discussing on another thread) may very well involve taking certain parts of the ride apart and rebuilding - I don't want the ride shut down when I there - what about everybody else? Most of us would rather ride it with the non-functioning Yeti that is only seen for a few seconds than give up the ride for over a year.
    ...and I think that is why Disney knows it can cheap out. Guests go no matter what. They do not care. The maintenance done to SM was huge... but one could never tell. It looks old and worn. It´s a shame really, but then agian I am a very picky hardcore Disneyfan.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    This could be merged with any of the current WDW bashing threads in the forum right now.
    It's curious, don't you think, how threads detailing the condition of what's broken or below-par in Disney Parks are so frequently labeled "bashing," "whining" and "complaining," while threads that gush hyperbolic praise of the Parks are not labeled at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    ...and I think that is why Disney knows it can cheap out. Guests go no matter what. They do not care. The maintenance done to SM was huge... but one could never tell. It looks old and worn. It´s a shame really, but then agian I am a very picky hardcore Disneyfan.
    Good thread, and good post. But there are those labels again. Are you really "picky," with the often negative connotation that word carries... or are you perceptive, because over the years you've come to appreciate the details that make the Disney experience superior, and passionate about it because you care?

Are you really "hardcore," with the sometimes negative connotation that word carries... or are you a longtime, loyal Disney customer?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I don't know about that celticdar, duckling. It's like asking if a witch would rather be married to a non functioning man just so she could make the honest claim of being married. But what's the use of being married if your man is non-functioning? It's the same with the Yeti. He needs to be functional, too, or guests are missing out on a lot.
    That comparison really doesn't wash (and don't call me duckling). Spending a lifetime with another human being hardly compares to ten seconds of looking at an audioanimatronic figure (right at the point, I might add, that most of us are more concerned with keeping our dinner down) on an otherwise excellent ride.

---------- Post added 06-20-2011 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's curious, don't you think, how threads detailing the condition of what's broken or below-par in Disney Parks are so frequently labeled "bashing," "whining" and "complaining," while threads that gush hyperbolic praise of the Parks are not labeled at all.

Good thread, and good post. But there are those labels again. Are you really "picky," with the often negative connotation that word carries... or are you perceptive, because over the years you've come to appreciate the details that make the Disney experience superior, and passionate about it because you care?

Are you really "hardcore," with the sometimes negative connotation that word carries... or are you a longtime, loyal Disney customer?
    Actually, I AM a hardcore Disney fan, some might say downright nerdy about it, and I don't think that requires me to be over-analytical about every single minute detail. I don't feel the need to send the corporate office a message with my attendance - that's because when I go I'm ON VACATION. I am so over the "I rag on Disney because I care" nonsense as well. Some people just like to complain and nitpick - which is their choice - but I believe it begs the question - If you think it's so bad, why do you go? Seriously, if you truly believe that these issues cause the parks to fail to live up to your expectations as a consumer, then what are you doing there? No one is going to enjoy everything about the parks all time (except maybe my nieces and nephews), and therefore, there's bound to be some criticism but the negativity on some of these threads borders on the ridiculous at times. (the non-functioning Yeti for example) If you listen to interviews of the people who designed the ride (not to mention, the dozen or so times we've had the discussion on this site), you'd realize that to fix that particular problem, they'll need to basically dismantle the ride and rebuild it. Maybe, it's on the list to be fixed in the future - Disney does tend to plan way in advance - we don't know what's on the list a year from now - we also don't know when the Space Mountain refurb got added to the list. Although, I have to say, if they're going to shut down Everest for a prolonged period of time, I don't want it on my vacation - just those of the people who complain ;-)

• Banned User

I really wish they would have not wasted the money on those queue games and instead added an onboard soundtrack

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    ...there's bound to be some criticism but the negativity on some of these threads borders on the ridiculous at times.
    In your opinion. Do you think that labeling the opinion of others "ridiculous," simply because they have a different opinion than yours, is constructive?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Yes it is getting a little ridiculous when people start attacking other peoples opinons.. Sometimes I cant believe at how much some people complain but yet still go to the parks... and to all you complainers, Ihr müsst immer euren Senf dazu geben, was?

Back to the subject, the last Time I was in Space Moutain was like 2005 and I was never dissapointed with the ride, The first time I ever went in, the effects in the line and the loading area absolutly stunned me as a kid. At that time in my life I was starting to grow a love for space and space exploration.. as well as being a huge fan of star wars ,walking into space moutain and hearing the music and getting in all "the sites" was great! As a "welcome back" gift to myself ill be at Disney in august and im looking forward to enjoying the ride and not picking apart every single little detail that isnt perfect(I think some people just need a new hobby.) On the other hand if something like the ride music is loud enough to hear, it will bother me and I might say something about it ,but I wont let a few things ruin the whole ride for.
    Last edited by deathcomesarippin; 06-21-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast