Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Talking 2010 Theme Park Attendance Released

Here is a link to the full report http://www.themeit.com/etea/2010Report.pdf

The TOP 13 are:

1. Magic Kingdom FL: 16,972,000 (-1.5%)
    2. Disneyland CA: 15,980,000 (+0.5%)
    3. EPCOT FL: 10,825,000 (-1.5%)
    4. Disney's ANimal Kingdom FL: 9,686,000 (+1.0%)
    5. Disney's Hollywood Studios FL: 9,603,000 (-1.0%)
    6. Disney California Adventure CA: 6,278,000 (+3.0%)
    7. Islands of Adventure FL: 5,949,000 (+30.2%)
    8. Universal Studios FL: 5,925,000 (+6.1%)
    9. SeaWorld FL: 5,100,000 (-12.1%)
    10. Universal Studios Hollywood CA: 5,040,000 (+26.0%)
    11. Busch Gardens FL: 4,200,000 (+2.4%)
    12. SeaWorld CA: 3,800,000 (-9.5%)
    13. Knotts Berry Farm CA: 3,600,000 (+8.0%)

So the big stories here... Magic Kingdom below 17 million visitors! DAK finally beat DHS in attendance, Epcot is down, and Islands of Adventure 30% GROWTH! And within striking distance of beating DCA for attendance! Also kudos for Universal Studios Hollywood for their 26% growth!

Pretty exciting!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: 2010 Theme Park Attendance Released

Two things about this list strike me - Universal IoA had to grow 30% and they're still only 1/3 of the attendance at Magic Kingdom (and half the attendance at the other Disney parks in Florida)

...And - Busch Gardens in Williamsburg consistently shows up at the top of the "beautiful parks" list but did not even make this list. If everybody keeps finding this park the most beautiful park to visit, where are they? ..and who's voting in that survey? I love Busch Gardens in Williamsburg (to look at, that is, I'm not a thrill ride person so for me, it's a rather expensive place to walk around, shop and have lunch) but I don't find it nearly as beautiful as, Animal Kingdom, for example.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is only open half the year. A park doesn't have to be full of elaborate facades to be beautiful.

I'm quite happy to see Universal Hollywood up so much! I've always enjoyed that theme park, and 26% is a huge increase!

Of course it's also good to see Disney parks doing well, including California Adventure which is getting higher attendance, and I imagine will have a huge jump when the 2011 numbers come in next year.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Buh View Post
    I'm quite happy to see Universal Hollywood up so much! I've always enjoyed that theme park, and 26% is a huge increase!
    Just think, a little hairy ape did all that. Transformers: The Ride will change all that next year =)

• Shubisha

Are Disneyland and Magic Kingdom always so close? Seems a lot closer than usual even though the percentage changes from last time are small.

Also, do they do any sort of guesswork on how much of the WDW park attendances are overlapped and how many are unique? (And I guess for Disneyland/DCA, Universal Florida/IoA, etc.. too). Just curious about overall resort visitors.

• former CM

Thank you for dropping the leader board down to include my beloved Knott's.

2012 will be interesting. Will Carsland, which doesn't open till half-way through 2012 (+ the World of Color, Soarin, the Aladdin show, etc.) boost DCA close to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida?

It was really worth clicking on that link!

So I'm interested in which of you fellow Micechatters have been to the most parks on the lists:
    I've been to 15 out of the top 25 in the world and also 15 out of the top 20 in the US.

(God, please let me retire rich before I get old. There are some theme parks I'd like to visit.
    Thanks for the ones I've seen. Amen.
    )
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-19-2011 at 08:10 PM.

I've been to 12 of the 13, with the exception of Busch Gardens in Tampa. Also, I got to visit all the top 10 last year. (oh, the joys of living in CA, but having been stationed near Jacksonville, FL with the Navy back in the 90s! Although, oddly enough, on my FL trip last year, I made my first and only visit so far to Sea World Orlando).

Most interesting to me was the that for the first time, DAK beat out DHS. Should be interesting to see what DCA does in the next couple of years. I was actually a little surprised that the bump was only +3 percent for DCA. None the less, IOA and DCA are very close to each other now.

Speaking off, it was interesting to see IOA beat its mother park, USF. At one time I remember reading that Universal really thought that once its 2nd FL park opened, that USF would play second fiddle to IOA. That seems to have happened this year, but has IOA peaked? How long will it remain the bigger draw of the two parks for Universal in Orlando?

It will be interesting to watch the gap between DCA and IOA, and IOA and USF. I look forward to seeing the Carlands effect.

• Not here to help

I really canīt understand what it is that brings that much people to Magic Kingdom.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I really canīt understand what it is that brings that much people to Magic Kingdom.
    I know right!! But I think its the power of being IN the Disney World.

Because it is Walt Disney World. IMO..... and just IMO.... when it comes to Disneyland vs The Magic Kingdom, well Disneyland is superior theme park. But when it come to the Disneyland Resort vs the Walt Disney World resort, well, WDW become superior.

Certainly not because of the Magic Kingdom, but throw in everything else and it does add up. It is a cornucopia of vacation possibilities. Even spending a week here, you don't have a chance at doing everything there is to do at WDW. It is the incredible variety, on such a large scale, that keeps it as the number one vacation destination in the world. The Magic Kingdom reaps the benefit of that traffic flow and manages to stay barely ahead of its superior west coast counter part.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

What I want to know about Disney's attendance is how much of that is paying guests vs. complimentary entry.

When I talk about complimentary entry I mean: Employees, and industry members.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• jonyyeh

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Most interesting to me was the that for the first time, DAK beat out DHS. Should be interesting to see what DCA does in the next couple of years. I was actually a little surprised that the bump was only +3 percent for DCA. None the less, IOA and DCA are very close to each other now.

Speaking off, it was interesting to see IOA beat its mother park, USF. At one time I remember reading that Universal really thought that once its 2nd FL park opened, that USF would play second fiddle to IOA. That seems to have happened this year, but has IOA peaked? How long will it remain the bigger draw of the two parks for Universal in Orlando?

It will be interesting to watch the gap between DCA and IOA, and IOA and USF. I look forward to seeing the Carlands effect.
    I guess I am a little surprised that DAK beat DHS (since I didn't visit DAK that much as DHS when I was a AP last year) given that DHS has more thrill rides which tend to attract more people, and DHS has Fantasmic. However, during the days that Fantasmic wasn't showing (4 of 7 days), DHS had significantly smaller crowds. I think the reason why DAK manage to beat DHS is that certainly its remains unique and its certainly beautiful (I doubt we will ever see Disney build anything like it on another continent).

I am not surprised that IOA beat USF. USF's most busiest ride was just Rockit (45 minutes on average). Every other attraction has fairly short waits. And most people who primarily wanted to see Harry Potter probably wouldn't visit USF anyway (why would they go to USF anyway? To see Shrek, Jaws, and the Simpsons?). Universal Orlando's Power Annual Pass now has more blockout dates particularly for IOA.

I do think IOA will continue to gain attendance and remain on top of USF (unless USF opens something on the level of Harry Potter), but I don't see it topping DCA in the near future. The success of World of Color and with The Little Mermaid open and CarsLand opening in 2012, its definitely going to get more DL visitors to visit DCA. Also, IOA really doesn't have anything to keep people staying at night other than Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    What I want to know about Disney's attendance is how much of that is paying guests vs. complimentary entry.

When I talk about complimentary entry I mean: Employees, and industry members.
    Its a good question. My guess would be, no, those do not count. Theme parks in general do not release attendance numbers. So these figures ARE very much guess work. The guessing must be coming from somewhere and my guess would be from revenues that are by law, public record. Get an inside scoop here or a tid bit there, divide the revenue by the cost of a ticket, and you can come up with a rough guess. Disney typically will not confirm nor deny the accuracy of the report. Busch Entertainment had on occasion, disputed the report as inaccurate in regard to the attendance numbers reported for Busch parks. But point being, since it really is NOT clicks at the turn styles, then I am guessing that NO, it does not include comp entrys.

• Minion

I'm glad to see DAK overtake DHS since I consider the former to be the better park...but with the new Star Tours opening, things should be back to the status quo next year.

Hope Wizarding World teaches Disney a thing or two about what it takes to achieve significant increases in attendance. Hopefully Universal too understands what they have to keep doing if they want to eventually achieve Disneyesque attendance numbers.

Unfortunately the biggest change for 2011 may be big drops for the two Japanese Disney parks.
    Down with the Hat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast