Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,691

    possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Lately I've been reading up a little more on various transportation systems as Indianapolis is still in the survey process for a possible transit system (all we have is a bus system more fit for a smaller town than a growing metro city). One of the possible new transportation systems include Bus Rapid Transit. The idea is that the buses are given their own isolated lanes in roadways specifically designed for a new kind of bus which is speedier and carries a higher capacity of guests (if I'm not mistaken there's usually a greater capacity of guests who use the buses to travel from park to park than from park to hotel for most of the day). Isolated lanes also could decrease the number of road accidents a good number of the buses have within the resort.

    I know it's no monorail but I'm amazed that Disney doesn't invest in this system to at least make more efficient travel between the parks (specifically between park where there's no monorail access). No doubt it will be cheaper to build a few roadways strictly for bus rapid transit than it would be to build monorail tracks. This would require a bit of reorganization at the parks' bus stations. In the future should Disney want to invest in it, the Bus Rapit Transit roadway can be converted into light rail systems (a more advanced BRT similar to a streetcar). Or this could expanded to the hotels.

    So what's the opinion on this? Personally I think it would be better to just finish the monorail so it reaches all four parks but a BRT is more realistic I guess.

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    740

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Its actually the other way around. The issue is resort to Park transportation. Not part to park transportation. Park to park typically works just fine. All of the park to park routes avoid the often grid locked BV Drive.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    I actually haven't found congestion to be a real problem. The only places of congestion I can think of is Hotel Plaza Blvd., 535, and Buena Vista Drive. I don't even think Buena Vista Drive is all that bad either.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  4. #4

    • May the F=ma be with you
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hobroken
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Will the buses not have to stop at traffic signals?

    Will the buses have to share single or double lane roads with other traffic as they enter or exit each park/resort before they can reach their designated lane?

    Will designating one lane as bus only on a two or three lane road not increase congestion on the single or double common traffic lanes?


    I only remember two times where I was in traffic at WDW. Once was inbound on Hotel Plaza blvd. when one lane was closed for milling and repaving. The second time was New year's Eve morning 2009 when MK was already at phase 3 and the TTC lot was closed. Heading North on World Drive was a little troublesome and the EPCOT autoplaza was a nightmare with cars trying to cut across lanes, driving on the grass, etc trying to figure out where to go once they realized MK was closed.



    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

  5. #5

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    why build dedicated lanes when Disney doesn't have congestion issues?

    this method is used to ensure taxi or buses aren't held up in gridlock - and often they share lanes with light rail.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    I actually am amazed every time I'm at WDW with just how efficient their transport system is. As a driver, I have never had an issue with traffic except for the area right around DownTown Disney and even that is not bad at all. Now certainly, they can develop some systems to make it more efficient to move people around the resort and to lower weight times at bus stops, but I don't think the problem is due to the roads, I just think they need better technology to be able to notice when they need extra buses and not.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Yeah, I agree Hotel Plaza Blvd. can be pretty bad at times.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  8. #8

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,163
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    I do not like the idea because it would involve building even more roads and overpasses, using up more land and further cluttering the in between spaces of Walt Disney World.

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Will the buses not have to stop at traffic signals?

    Will the buses have to share single or double lane roads with other traffic as they enter or exit each park/resort before they can reach their designated lane?

    Will designating one lane as bus only on a two or three lane road not increase congestion on the single or double common traffic lanes?
    Typically Bus Rapid Transit involved building separate, dedicated lanes designed to accommodate the speeds; not making existing lanes Bus Only. They're essentially Bus Only Highways.

  9. #9

    • 1,200 Miles from da Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    923

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    I disagree the problem isn't buses causing congestion but rather just the pollution and the wait times, I think if they just need a better system for resorts to parks, but I'm not sure if the proper technology exists, as we have seen the cost over runs with monorails are too much for Disney to be willing to spend all that cash.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton


  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    24

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    I also agree that I have never been on a bus at WDW that had to sit in a long line a traffic. I don't see a need at this point to make any changes to the bus system. JMO

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    384

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    I disagree the problem isn't buses causing congestion but rather just the pollution and the wait times, I think if they just need a better system for resorts to parks, but I'm not sure if the proper technology exists, as we have seen the cost over runs with monorails are too much for Disney to be willing to spend all that cash.
    Where are all the accidents happening (or should I say, did they happen, we haven't heard of too many lately, knock wood)? That, for me, would be the only reason for a separate system. Like most of you, I have only been in thick traffic up near Downtown Disney. But I think the main problem there is what to do with tourists who have a hard time driving and concentrating on the road signs as well - I don't know that taking the buses out of the mix will help that - they'll just crash with each other. The fantasy set-up would be for some sort of train/monorail to take people out to the different resort areas - that would be great for the speed issue as well - but given the money they're spending on current projects, Fantasyland for example, I don't see how that could happen.

  12. #12

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    The accidents that were happening really didn't have anything that separation would have helped. Buses rear-ending something will just rear-end something else. The kid who fell into the bus could have just as easily fell into a van or truck driving down the same road.

    What I see in cities is the dedicated lanes actually cause more confusion for people at times. cars end up where they aren't supposed to... people get accustomed to no traffic in the lane so they walk in it.. etc.

    The buses represent the most flexible, on-demand system available. The issue is people think buses are only for poor people in the US.

    If they filled the buses with all the hot ladies like they do in norway.. I bet people would be a lot more interested in riding the bus
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  13. #13

    • 1,200 Miles from da Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    923

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    What I see in cities is the dedicated lanes actually cause more confusion for people at times. cars end up where they aren't supposed to... people get accustomed to no traffic in the lane so they walk in it.. etc.

    The buses represent the most flexible, on-demand system available. The issue is people think buses are only for poor people in the US.
    I've seen the same thing in Germany with tourists accidently ending up in Strassenbahn lanes and almost causing an accident that way..
    awesome explaination on the buses in the US, personally I don't mind taking the buses in WDW only once did I have an issue (the bus's AC didn't work) but in WDW the buses tend to be clean and appear with enough of a frequency where I don't see an issue. Even my buddies from Tennessee one of the least public transit states I've ever seen said that they thought the buses were the cat's meow so to speak...You have to wait alittle bit but for how safe and easy it was to get from point to point there was no real room for complaining..

    I think in the future though it would be MORE economical as well as eco-friendly to use a more hybrid system, Buses, Light Rail, Monorail...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton


  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    384

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The accidents that were happening really didn't have anything that separation would have helped. Buses rear-ending something will just rear-end something else. The kid who fell into the bus could have just as easily fell into a van or truck driving down the same road.

    What I see in cities is the dedicated lanes actually cause more confusion for people at times. cars end up where they aren't supposed to... people get accustomed to no traffic in the lane so they walk in it.. etc.

    The buses represent the most flexible, on-demand system available. The issue is people think buses are only for poor people in the US.
    You're right, of course (they do this at Metro stations here and it confuses the heck out of some people) but sometimes I wish they'd consider it in D.C. - trying to maneuver around the buses here is a giant, GIANT pain in the backside. =-/ I agree, I think the buses are here to stay.

  15. #15

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: possible solution to the Disney Bus issue

    Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    You're right, of course (they do this at Metro stations here and it confuses the heck out of some people) but sometimes I wish they'd consider it in D.C. - trying to maneuver around the buses here is a giant, GIANT pain in the backside. =-/ I agree, I think the buses are here to stay.
    Well in a downtown the issue is compounded by the too many cars here in the states vs other countries as well. DC has pretty large streets, but parking on the majority of them, and not really great seperation for bus stops, etc. Drivers don't like the lumbering slow accelerating buses in the traffic lanes. In the US - cars take priority. In this type of system, bus/rail takes priority. The US cities are backwards in this regard
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Possible Solution to the Annual Passholder/Overcrowding Problem at Disneyland
    By Quacky4Donald in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
  2. Taking Out The Disney Gallery: The Issue
    By Abominable Snowman in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 08:46 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 03:32 PM
  4. 06-27-06 Did Disneyland Just Throw the Disney Studio Under the Bus?
    By Chuck Oberleitner in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 11:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •