Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Toontown or Toon Studios at DHS?

It seems that a long time ago a possible Toontown was considered for Disney Hollywood Studios (back when it was called Disney-MGM studios) which would've included the Roger Rabbit ride currently at Disneyland. Due to the financial flopping of DLPR, these plans were canceled.

With the Toontown Fair at MK now gone, do you think it's possible to get a land similar to Toontown or a Mickey themed land of Hollywood nature in DHS? Perhaps a studio land consisting of nothing but Mickey and Friends with meet n greet trailers you can visit and all of that. I think it would be a great way to expand that park to have a lavish meet n greet area for Mickey and Friends that fits the park's Hollywood theme. Where should this land go btw? Well it could go anywhere in the park I suppose. The important thing is to get more rides and the addition of Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin would be a good start. We have tributes to feature animation and Pixar in this park but not so much the old school Mickey and Friends which is going to be more prominent in DCA's current expansion project. What do you think?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Bangarang!

Re: Toontown or Toon Studios at DHS?

Toon Studios as a theme would work perfectly fine for DHS and could be home to some very exciting attractions (different to the ones that currently occupy the WDS Toon Studio).

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• I'm a Lutheran

Too bad Disney can't get the theme park rights to Warner Bros. cartoon characters to they could put together the Toontown from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It would be incredible seeing all of those characters alongside one another in one restricted area of the park.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

ORGOCH: I'd say this idea already came an' went. Was a good idea, too. But after the fight Eisner had with Speilberg over the legal rights ta Roger Rabbit, well, it looks like the rabbit got shot.

• Not here to help

There is nothing lavish about anything in WDS, and most definetely not Toon Studios. Make the characters walk around some more insted. I hope nothing from WDS will ever be cloned in any park ever again.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Mostly Harmless.

Given that there is a Muppet area (which is awesome) and a Pixar Studios area I agree that there should be an area dedicated to the original Disney characters. A Maroon cartoons type backlot area could be a whole lot of fun. Obviously the Rodger Rabbit characters wouldn't be able to be in it due to licensing (an issue with Gary K Wolf, the author of the original book Who Censored Roger Rabbit), but I am sure that someone in TDO with half a brain could come up with a workable idea minus roger rabbit. I always enjoyed the wackiness in DLs ToonTown and think something similar (but not the same) in Orlando would be pretty hot.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• 1st visit 1975

The replacing the buildings between the Animation Courtyard and the Pixar Place gateway would make a great Toontown location. This location is now almost in the middle of the park and is under utilized. One Man's Dream could be moved to Epcot Innoventions or Odyssy and feature the EPCOT model from the PeopleMover. The Toontown could have two entrances, one through the wall of the Gag Warehouse and the other through a vehicle tunnel and curtain like in Roger Rabbit.Name:  DHS%252520Prime%252520Expansion%252520Site.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  90.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    The replacing the buildings between the Animation Courtyard and the Pixar Place gateway would make a great Toontown location. This location is now almost in the middle of the park and is under utilized. One Man's Dream could be moved to Epcot Innoventions or Odyssy and feature the EPCOT model from the PeopleMover. The Toontown could have two entrances, one through the wall of the Gag Warehouse and the other through a vehicle tunnel and curtain like in Roger Rabbit.Name:  DHS%252520Prime%252520Expansion%252520Site.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  90.0 KB
    That's actually the spot I was thinking about too.

Okay no Roger Rabbit but rather just a Mickey Studios land or something like that mixing both historic and contemporary. Use of the animation building in the mix could add extra charm to the land as well.

a clone of Toontown really would do wonders for the lineup at DHS but yeah I guess there are issues and we're all tired of clones as well.

Its too bad Disney doesn't like origional ideas anymore or obscure characters. I'd otherwise say they could take the cartoon spin ride system and even ride layout and retheme it using Bonkers characters/villians and make an equally cute little ride for guests to experience with perhaps a different queue and storyline

more RIDES would certainly pull alot of burdens off of Midway Mania/Tower/RnRC. Even a system as simple as Roger Rabit's spinning vehicles would go over great in DHS.

It'd be hillarious if they had a darkride like Roger Rabbit next to perhaps a longer version of Crush coaster? It'd be like two spinning rides side by side (of course I'd guess Crush is too low capacity for a WDW like park.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• 1st visit 1975

Maybe a different "Toontown" like Duckberg, with Scrooge McDuck's money bin etc. What I really want is a Mickey, Donald & Goofy wild dark ride, this would be a first, unique and "why didn't they do this sooner" obvious ride. Maybe some Roger Rabbit touches but a unique "studio" town.
    Name:  MM Mickey Donald Goofy spotlight.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  146.2 KB

Maybe a different "Toontown" like Duckberg, with Scrooge McDuck's money bin etc.
    Name:  MM Mickey Donald Goofy spotlight.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  146.2 KB
    Yes! This right here! Id love to see this built anywhere actually.

• Dreamer

A Maroon Studios back lot would fit better. This would give them opportunity to create a whole new imagineering experience where guests can "experiment" with toon objects.

• 1st visit 1975

I'm kind of thinking the "Working Studio" theme has been beaten to death by DHS, DSP & DCA. It has come to mean half finished sets and no immersive theming = Eisner years, cheap cheap cheap. Maybe it could be none right but my first thoughts went straight to what has been done before ... poorly.

Maybe a different "Toontown" like Duckberg, with Scrooge McDuck's money bin etc. What I really want is a Mickey, Donald & Goofy wild dark ride, this would be a first, unique and "why didn't they do this sooner" obvious ride. Maybe some Roger Rabbit touches but a unique "studio" town.
    I'm kind of thinking the "Working Studio" theme has been beaten to death by DHS, DSP & DCA. It has come to mean half finished sets and no immersive theming = Eisner years, cheap cheap cheap. Maybe it could be none right but my first thoughts went straight to what has been done before ... poorly.
    I like the idea of a new creative take on a Toontown. I do agree that the working studio concept has been done to death (and it doesn't work unless it actually is a working studio). If it was just one land in a park with various Hollywood and movie themes, possibly. But the idea of a park entirely themed to studio backlots does not stretch far creatively. I'm glad they're changing the concept of Hollywoodland in DCA to what it should've been in the beginning.

• In a Disney World Daze...

DHS was labled the working studies, and it once was. Unfortunately with the general design it is still in that mode. I think some of it should retain that but it should be about Hollywood and not really the studios theme.

However....I LOVE the toon part of the park. I really dont think it should be Toon Town. Since the removal of Mikeys house in MK I think Mickeys house should stay at DL along with toon town. I think DL should be were Mickey lives, but at WDW/DHS is where Mickey works.

With that said I do, even with the studios overkill, love the idea of a toon backlot in DHS. Love the idea of the toons making a movie and the area, or square because I dont think an entire land is the answer. Having the trailers like the stars on movie sets would be a great meet and greet photo place. It could also be part of the "preshow" of a new attraction based on Mickey. Quite possibly even an Eticket based on Epic Mickey. The exterior and the queue could be about Mickey filming his next adventure and then the ride itself IS that movie....something like Epic Mickey. Although it may be a bit on the dark side with the premise, but moments in the pre and post show could show him working together with the scarier elements showing that it is just a movie and nothing to be afraid of. Would be funny to have monitors showing mickey and a blot in a directors chair having some cup of coffee (or hot cocoa as would be more appropirate for Mickey) and having a casual conversation etc....

I think it would be a great addition to the studios. It would also be a great replacement for Toon Town Fair that was removed in MK (even though I never went there after my first visit to starland) and give Mickey a home at WDW, or at least as place to work.
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast