Fantasyland "Sword in the Stone" show...

Fellow MiceChatters, maybe you can provide some light to this situation...

It's been a few years now that Merlin and the Sword in the Stone show has closed. Will it ever come back? And why did it close in the first place?

I always thought it was a charming little show; one of those gems like Belle reading stories to children (which closed to make room for Rapunzel, now that I think about it!).

I would love to see it return. Now that the New Fantasyland is being built, would it be possible to bring Merlin back? If so, where do you think he should host the show?

Thanks for all your input!

May you be surrounded by your pals this holiday season!

• Shubisha

Re: Fantasyland "Sword in the Stone" show...

not likely. maybe if they're hurting for people. but they'll be up to the ears in extra personnel costs for the new fantasyland which for wdw budgeters is like asking for their 1st born.

as it is know they've started just having it randomly go up for kids trying to pull on it as a "magical moment." sometimes the kid even gets a sticker for it :P

• Minion

ORDDU: This topic keeps coming up a lot, lately. From what we have been told, The Sword in the Stone ceremony was cut because of the extra need for crowd control in that section of Fantasyland. More stroller parking was needed outside of Mickey's Philharmagic and this created a bottleneck of traffic in itself. It began to seem impossible to continue with The Sword in the Stone ceremony because of this.

ORWEN: Well, that's what they said. But I think they could have held on to the ceremony anyway, if they'd really wanted to. I think all that extra stroller parking all over the park has become a curse! Why were guests able to do without it back in the 70's 80' and early 90's???

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Well, that's what they said. But I think they could have held on to the ceremony anyway, if they'd really wanted to. I think all that extra stroller parking all over the park has become a curse! Why were guests able to do without it back in the 70's 80' and early 90's???
    In general people seem to be carrying more stuff everywhere they go, but I think in the parks people are trying to save on buying the outrageously priced food and merchandise. Then you get the "everything but the kitchen sink" mentality.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

ORDDU: This topic keeps coming up a lot, lately. From what we have been told, The Sword in the Stone ceremony was cut because of the extra need for crowd control in that section of Fantasyland. More stroller parking was needed outside of Mickey's Philharmagic and this created a bottleneck of traffic in itself. It began to seem impossible to continue with The Sword in the Stone ceremony because of this.

This is really quite different to how it was in Disneyland. There wasn't any crowd control! Merlin roped off the area around the sword/stone, and then started the show and people would line up around the planter, but never so many that crowd control was needed.

Just how popular was it in MK?? Weird...

• Lemony Goodness

I miss it, too. I always wanted to pull the sword and would try to bat my eyes at Merlin (I was 6 and knew the moves : ) ) But I dont ever think they picked girls. /pouts.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by LilTeacup View Post
    I miss it, too. I always wanted to pull the sword and would try to bat my eyes at Merlin (I was 6 and knew the moves : ) ) But I dont ever think they picked girls. /pouts.
    Lol I used to love that show Sword and the Stone is one of my all time fave Disney movies! I got picked once when I was 8, I gotta see if I got that pic it truely made the trip for me!!

It's sad that they don't do it anymore, as it was one of those little gems that made some kids trip for all those years!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Minion

I think all that extra stroller parking all over the park has become a curse! Why were guests able to do without it back in the 70's 80' and early 90's???
    CURMUDGEON ALERT

There's been a fundamental shift in parenting philosophy since then. When I was five or six years old, I would have been mortified to ride in a stroller like a baby. Now, the guidebooks say that a stroller for any kid under 10 is a must.

Of course, back then kids were taught differently. A lot of parents confine their kids to strollers now because it's easier than teaching them not to wander off without their parents.

It may have something to do with rising prices, as well. As parents are paying more and more for the vacation, they're less willing to carve out blocks of time to let their kids rest from all the walking. They can ride more rides per dollar if they can speed up the process of traveling between them.

• Minion

My son got picked to pull the sword @ Disneyland. And out of the three guest, he was the one who pulled it. He got a cool medal and a certificate that proclaimed him the king of fantasyland for the day. Of course this was the one day we didn't have the camera with us, but I framed the medal and cert for him. I was surprised that they wernt doing this in Fantasyland @ WDW when I was there in January.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I never actually ever saw the Sword and the Stone Ceremony. However, it is one of those many things that has disappeared. The Sword of the Sword in the Stone, is something that I always take a photo of when I am vacationing at Disneyland. I am sure an entire thread can be done, and has been done, about things that used to be that added fun and magic to a guests day. Things taken away, and not necessarily replaced by something just as fun and magical.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    CURMUDGEON ALERT
    There's been a fundamental shift in parenting philosophy since then. When I was five or six years old, I would have been mortified to ride in a stroller like a baby. Now, the guidebooks say that a stroller for any kid under 10 is a must.
    What guidebooks say a stroller for a kid under 10 is a must?

Here are two pics from the ceremony in HKDL. It was a bit disconcerting since it was in either in Mandarin or Cantonese, I couldn't tell the difference. The only word that sounded familiar was "elleh keh sim," which was apparently "alakazam." I was quite taken aback.

But it's still nice, and in this kid's case still slightly awkward, charming ceremony in whatever language.