43 74.14%
  • Keep it the same

6 10.34%
  • Tear it down and face the wrath of the Mickey

3 5.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poll: What should be done with Carousel of Progress

Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, the only original 1964 World's Fair attraction to grace Walt Disney World and I think needs to be changed. IMO every scene in this attraction is great, except of course for the final scene in the future when we listen to dad talk about carphones, laser disc players, and virtual reality while his wife works on an archaic laptop and his son plays a 16 bit video game. I just wondered how everyone else felt about it.

Re: Poll: What should be done with Carousel of Progress

The concept at the time worked. It's just one of those things that don't age well. And the problem is with updating it. If they simply update the last scene the time gap will simply grow larger and larger over time. It used to be 20 year gaps, now the last scene is like 40 years or more. I think they should keep the first scene, then redesign the last 3. The second scene would be from the 40s, then the next scene is from the 80s and then have the last scene be from the future. I think that would help spread the time out more evenly.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Too bad there's no second floor here, like there is in Disneyland. If there were one, I would say restore the last full scene to the 60's and then the actual last scene have a speedramp up to the second level which would have exhibits featuring the latest in technological enhancements in all aspects of life. However, to transition to this, I think there should be photomurals on the walls going up the speedramp that would show the advancements made between the 1960's scene and the exhibits above.

I think THAT would be the best choice.

If you don't want it anymore, could you please sent it back to Disneyland to replace our crappy Innoventions?

I say update it. Not the tone or style or presentation. By all means, keep the old timey feel. Just add some more scenes regarding the future.

I agree with the post above. I feel like they should keep this like their keeping Lincoln in California. Use it as a tribute to Walt.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

You forgot one very important choice for the poll:

Move it back to Disneyland (Walt's park) with a show more closely resembling the original.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

This drives me crazy--there's never the answer I want, so I had to go with the one that was closest. Tear it down, but, now here's the ticker...move it to EPCOT. Make it the new "Horizons!"

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post
    This drives me crazy--there's never the answer I want, so I had to go with the one that was closest. Tear it down, but, now here's the ticker...move it to EPCOT. Make it the new "Horizons!"

Peace,
    Roo
    I actually really like that idea, maybe a horizons meets carousel of progress new attraction in Epcot combining the best elements of both! I really like when Disney stays close to its past but this attraction is really becoming a relic and it takes up a large amount of very valuable and limited space the magic kingdom can still expand into. So move it to Epcot for a new concept and leave space open in tommorowland and the small backstage area for a nice big expansion, solves 2 WDW problems right there.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Uh.. I have to disagree. That is one of the most preposterous things I've ever heard! Magic Kingdom has so much room left to grow- outside the berm, if necessary!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Uh.. I have to disagree. That is one of the most preposterous things I've ever heard! Magic Kingdom has so much room left to grow- outside the berm, if necessary!
    Well if you believe there is then please advise on the particular locations in which the MK could expand into without majorly affecting backstage areas and or current attractions. perhaps if you took a look on google earth or wikimapia you might change your opinion.

• former CM

This is one of my all-time favorite attractions!

This, the Peoplemover, and the Hall of Presidents, and Philharmagic are reasons why I would like to take my daughter to WDW even though we live 35 minutes from Disneyland. (And, of course, to see Universal's Harry Potter area.)

I love both of the Sherman Brothers songs for this ride, so I wouldn't mind of they rotated them every few years.

If they do want to improve/update this attraction, I hope they only keep it closed for a month or less. I'd hate to go to WDW and have this closed when I visited.

Just yesterday I told my wife that our great old cat moved like the dog in the COP.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Well if you believe there is then please advise on the particular locations in which the MK could expand into without majorly affecting backstage areas and or current attractions. perhaps if you took a look on google earth or wikimapia you might change your opinion.
    There is a lot of space available to the north of Space Mountain. To make more room available closer to the center of the park, I suggest having the entrace to the speedway near the back of the current track, then have the cars ride on a track much further out. This would free up some prime, almost centrally-located real estate in the Magic Kingdom. And retheme the speedway to Pixar's Cars movies. Ka-ching! Maybe great rides with Pixar's cars can make up for the critically unacclaimed movies. Merchandise baby! Subsidize bigger dreams! Or better yet, pay Iger, J.R., and Staggs even more!

I Googled aerial photo of Magic Kingdom and got this:
    Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic

P.S. I have for, the first 47 year of my life (today is my birthday), been in favor of free speech. Then I saw that 2 out of 30 people voted to tear down the Carousel of Progress. That's just wrong. Don't explain objective truths vs. subjective opinions and preferences. The optimism of this attraction is an absolute, timeless truth. Uh, just update it now and then, please.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.

• Imagination is the Start

I think they should just update it, the show works what it was used for except for the last scene. They mix to many technologies from the last update ofr the last scene. they talk about high def TV's and then mention laserdiscs, the two don't mix very well.

Get a new sponsor just for the last scene, I hate to say it but Sony would be the best for just the last scene, they have everything needed. A DLP or Huge 3D LED Sony TV, mention Blu-rays and digital movies, and talk about stuff that is current and upcoming. Or being that's its Disney have the Sponsor show some sort of prototype off. Like I know it probably is a bad idea to get another sponsor but that way it could be paid for and when you update a classic like that, usually for the first year people go on it like crazy cuz SOMETHINGS new.

Imagination is just the start

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    There is a lot of space available to the north of Space Mountain. To make more room available closer to the center of the park, I suggest having the entrace to the speedway near the back of the current track, then have the cars ride on a track much further out. This would free up some prime, almost centrally-located real estate in the Magic Kingdom. And retheme the speedway to Pixar's Cars movies. Ka-ching! Maybe great rides with Pixar's cars can make up for the critically unacclaimed movies. Merchandise baby! Subsidize bigger dreams! Or better yet, pay Iger, J.R., and Staggs even more!
    yes I have seen the room your talking about but it kind of proved my point, there's no room really left for expansion without moving things around in a major way. I would do the same thing in moving the speedway back into that area but it also is fairly swampy land with a stream running through it so the ground would have to be dried and reinforced and bridges would have to be built which is a pretty big undertaking in its own right. the only reason i talked about CoP possibly going to Epcot is that if its gone from its current spot it opens up a TON of room, enough for a couple new attractions or even a whole mini land. but lol nice joke with the cars attraction, if that ever happened ide cry .

Since I think it's beyond a pipe dream that we could get it back to Disneyland, I'd love to see it updated at the MK. The building, first of all, isn't attractive like the original was. It needs a new skin with new colors, plus new interesting signage that matches the rest of Tomorrowland.

The first 3 scenes could stay the same (I'm workin' with a budget here) but it needs new animatronics along the lines of what went into Spaceship Earth as well as all-new speakers (can't hear a lot of the dialogue now).

The final scene can be updated easily - new audio track and new set decorations. The figures can even remain in their current locations.

I do love Stitch's idea of using the 80's as one scene! But - again, I'm trying to honor WDW's recent spending amounts on old attractions
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast