Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Sad Disney planning to sell of the Parks & Resorts division

So the rumor mill has been all a buzz since July 1st. The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors was in Orlando with some High Profile guests.

Rumor on the street is that Disney is trying to find a buyer for the entire Parks & Resorts division, so that they can have a deal like the one they have with the OLC to operate WDW, DLR, DLPR, HKDL.

Has anyone else heard more rumors? I have heard from a few friends down here in Orlando about it, back in 2007 this was being discussed, then it went off the radar. Kevin Yee even wrote about it I believe too.

But it seems that WDC Board of Directors is seriously shopping around for a buyer. But is anyone interested in dropping 30 billion dollars for such a massive undertaking?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: Disney planning to sell of the Parks & Resorts division

Lee from WDWmagic mentioned that he too heard rumors of a potential selling of the park division. He made it clear that it was a rumor, but he has some insider sources to the company and has posted accurate news before it became public. His rumor source was that some Chinese company was looking into the purchase.

Of course, these rumors are also denied by the admins and staff at the same site along with many others. Eddie Sotto is an imagineer that posts over at the site as well and has said that it would make very little long term financial sense to sell the parks.

I have no idea either way, but something is stirring inside the company at least.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

@Merlin I know this was hard for me to wrap my head around. But you look at how Imagineering has changed from an R&D department to a project management department, and how the WDC has become more about managing and acquiring IP and less about actual content creation.

This just seems to get inline with the companies current values.. 0 risk, consistent returns.

---------- Post added 07-10-2011 at 11:03 AM ----------

now I am going to follow up and say that I believe this is unlikely to happen, not because of the Companies desire to sell it, but instead of the lack of anyone willing to buy.

• Minion

If it could work as well as it has in Japan then I don't see an issue here!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Has anyone else heard more rumors? I have heard from a few friends down here in Orlando about it, back in 2007 this was being discussed, then it went off the radar. Kevin Yee even wrote about it I believe too.
    Yup. Check out this post and this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinTheGoat View Post
    Eddie Sotto is an imagineer that posts over at the site as well and has said that it would make very little long term financial sense to sell the parks.
    An update on Eddie:
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Eddie has repeatedly stated that he is not an insider and his tenure with Walt Disney Imagineering ended over a decade ago. He has just as much knowledge on current business dealings as many of us posting, as he gets his information from your supposed insiders.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Yeah, i know Eddie isn't an inside source for the politics. He does raise some points though, as do other people. If TWDC sells off the majority of their parks in the US, they'd be doing so as a short term burst in profits. The parks are still pretty profitable from what i've heard. Doesn't seem like a wise business move by making such a short sighted business move. But then again, i heavily question the recent motives of those in charge (like the butt headed promotion of Meg).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Dang looks like WDW1974 beat me to it... but I had to verify in person to make sure this wasn't just bs.

• Nutty about Disney parks

If Disney does plan on selling their resorts it should be the ones outside of the U.S.

Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong could be sold off to companies in their respective countries that can work the parks to cater more to their locals. I think this is why TDR is the only successful foreign Disney resort so far.

TWDC should maintain ownership of its American parks, resorts, and cruiselines. But when it comes to managing parks and resorts overseas, often using the same concepts as what is done in the U.S. doesn't work as well as Paris has proven. Bring on people who know the people and what they want in a Disney park and maybe we'll see improvements.

As far as OLC goes, I don't think they will be interested in buying anymore Disney parks outside of Japan as I hear they want to focus on other non-theme parks projects in their company. I'm sure they'll still want to maintain TDR though.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I believe China is going to own majority of shanghai... just throwing that in there.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I believe China is going to own majority of shanghai... just throwing that in there.
    That is already known that they own 53% with the WDC owning 47%

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    If it could work as well as it has in Japan then I don't see an issue here!
    An outside company running the park doesn't necessarily mean anything good.. i don't think many people are all that concerned with current management at DLR.

The bottom line for WDW is that they get away with putting a poor product out there because of how infrequent its visitors come to the resort and whenever the questionnaires go around asking what people think, the offerings get top scores. Whatever company is in charge, that isn't going to change, and poor offerings can continue freely.

• Imagineering God

Look at Tokyo. Comparing WDW with that, I would almost be begging a third party to at least take some control (the only thing though, we would have no idea who would do it and how well of a job it would be).

Didn't they just assign new people to head the parks division? There's no way their selling the parks anytime soon; and if they did, they would probably just sell the Paris resort to gain a tighter grip on quality control over here in the American parks.

For now, this is just rumor to me. First, I don't really think this is a rumor on the street as this is the first I am hearing of this. I googled it, Binged it, Yahooed it and all I find is this thread and another micechat thread from back in 2006. The internet really is not abuzz with this. And if it was a real consideration that Disney was entertaining, I think it would be big enough news to warrant Media attention. The largest theme park operator in the world looking to sell of its mostly famous assets would be HUGE news. Second the decision to sell park and resorts would not be made or discussed in Orlando. Bob Igar and company would do that in Burbank. I was unaware the board of directors was in WDW on July 1st. Even so that would not be a sign of selling.

IMO, if there are shopping a buyer, they would not be investing into the parks as much as they are. ( *please note, I personally think they need to invest WAY more then they are. They NEED to do DCA type of investments in ALL parks at WDW. )

Thats said, the currently level of investments that Disney is spending would seem inconsistent with the goal of finding a buyer. But that is just my opinion and someone will say that they are fixing up the product for sale. I say maybe a homeowner does do that with a home they want to sell. A corporation.... not so much. InBev streamlined operations, limited asset investments and pinched very penny there was to pinch in Busch Entertainment while it attempted to find a buyer. I think you'd see Disney doing something similar, especially with how budget minded Disney is today.

But just my immediate thoughts. Well see if anything more develops. For now I will chalk it up to... eh, Probably not this time.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by CostaFreak View Post
    Look at Tokyo. Comparing WDW with that, I would almost be begging a third party to at least take some control (the only thing though, we would have no idea who would do it and how well of a job it would be).

Didn't they just assign new people to head the parks division? There's no way their selling the parks anytime soon; and if they did, they would probably just sell the Paris resort to gain a tighter grip on quality control over here in the American parks.
    The other thing about OLC is that they came to Disney asking for a Disneyland to be built in their nation and to be involved in the management of it. So you know they were devoted to their project from day one. The other resorts required TWDC to look for interest partners within the countries themselves. Considering how much trouble they have finding quality partners to build the Paris and Hong Kong resorts, it might be just as hard to find interested buyers to take the pressure off of Disney in their current states.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION on my part:

WHAT IF... IF.... Blackstone sold their 50% equity share in UO in order to position themselves to buy the P&R division of WDW. They currently hold over 138 billion in assests, they own Hilton Worldwide, and Merlin Entertainment... just thinking...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast