Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face How many times do you as a annual passholder go to disney?

So I really wanted to find out how many times do you as a annual passholder that lives not very much longer and not much shorter then 4 to 5 hours away attend Disney every month or every year? If you go alot where do you usally stay to be able to afford going so much since Gas and hotel and food is not very cheap these days going to disney on a monthly expense can be kinda hard to keep up with when your a AP. So what do you do to be able to keep up the pace of going so many times to these parks? Do you only go one day and come back? Whats your plan if you do that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: How many times do you as a annual passholder go to disney?

Well I just got my AP in June, and sadly I still spend most of my time at Universal and SeaWorld.

I live here in Orlando, so I can just jump in the parks.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I have been a seasonal passholder for the past 2 years. I live about 3 hours away in south florida. When we go up its just for a nice weekend getaway. Usually just drive up on saturday morning, parkhop, get bitten by some pixie dust til magic kingdom closes, stay overnight and come back sunday afternoon. Sometimes we will do a park or downtown disney for lunch on sunday and just drive back and still be home by 6 or 7. We try to go up atleast once a month. takes one tank of gas to go up there and one tank to come back plus about $20 in tolls. We used to stay inside disney for the whole "escape from reality" experience. But staying in disney is just not worth it to us anymore unless its a special trip or we got a really good deal.

Moderates are usually around $200 and values are usually around $100 for 1 night. Sure the values might not seem that bad for just 1 night. But there are 5 of us, which means 1 of us usually sneak in and have to sleep on an air bed. So we just started staying offsite in rooms that are usually cheaper than the values, accomodate 5 people comfortably, include wifi and free continental breakfast.

With a family of 5 , staying offsite at a hotel that offers free continental breakfast is usually the biggest plus for us, thats 1 meal we dont have to spend an extra $60 on. Staying at the allstars you can easily spend $60 or more on just breakfast for that sunday morning.

Seasonal passes have become the best deals for us. Mainly the only times your not allowed to use it is during summer break or easter and a couple of weeks during christmas. Times you really dont want to be in the park anyway.

Living in south florida, having the seasonal pass is the best. You can pretty much take a nice break from reality any weekend you want and just throw your self into disney's world. Its one of the greatest things about living in fl for us.

You will save the most amount of money if you decide to stay offsite. Staying in disney is nice, but really all you are getting is a room inside of disney, free transportation, and thats pretty much it. No more bang for your buck. Offsite hotels atleast offer free breakfast and wifi.

So if you are looking to make weekend trips possible, and save money doing them, I would highly recommend getting a seasonal pass, and staying offsite.

• US President

We live 60 miles away and, for 5 years, used to go once a month, day trippin on saturdays. I agree completely with chintopoop the hotels are absurdly priced so we only stayed when doing the epcot crawl.

We do not have passes this year though, but that is a whole other can of worms that none of us have time for.
    It's got Electrolytes, It's What Plant's Crave

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

My original post didn't post. Not sure why.

37 times since last mid September.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Hi, another South Floridian here. (Hi Chinitopoop)

I've been a passholder for ten years, maybe longer. I get the full AP because we go every Christmas. I also don't stay on Disney property, too expensive and rooms too small for my family of six. I used to though, when our family was
    smaller, and before we had AP's. Anyhoo, there's a jillion places to stay, we can always find somewhere cheap and clean enough. The trick is to stay fifteen to twenty minutes away from the park. A twenty minute drive in the morning beats a 3 hour drive! As far as the gas, yes that's getting pretty brutal. Money is tighter than ever.

This year, I've coped with it in a couple of ways. 1) I didn't renew my passes when they expired in January, I took six months off. 2) When I got passes again, I only got them for myself and my daughters, not my husband or son. They are not "into" Disney like me and my girls. I did some math, and realized that the four-day non-hopper which EXPIRES is the absolute cheapest way for my hubby and son to go at Christmas. So they are not going back until then. Me and my girls will go alone a few times. We will skip the Food and Wine festival this year (no fun without hubby, but something's gotta give)

The upside of this is my daughters now realize how lucky they've been to go all the time, and they really really appreciate it now!

• Another trip down I-4

When we had passes, we went about once a month. This March, however, we decided to let them expire, and pick up Sea World / Busch Gardens passes instead. We kept our Uni passes, also. We started to feel like Disney was for the schedulers rather than the explorers, and that just wasn't for us. We will probably pick up a FL Res 4 day ticket after Fantasyland re-opens, however, until then, I'm enjoying exploring the other parks.

• Imagination is the Start

Almost up to a Full year with both Universal and Disney passes.

Universal i've been to about 5 or 6 times since.

Disney I tend to go at the least once a week. I've probably been to the parks about a little under 100 times this year. I couldnt tell you the exact amount of times cause i dont have enough fingers. I mostly goto DHS and MK. I would roughly say Ive been to MK about 30ish times and DHS about 30-40ish times. This is also including days with park hopping. I live 30 mins away from the Disney Parks, and 15-20 from Universal, and i'm sad that is coming to a conclusion.

If I stay closer, me and my family tend to stay off property at Sheraton Vistana, but on prop we tend to stay at Dolphin or Swan.

If you plan on getting one, just know going by yourself gets old VERY fast.

Imagination is just the start

• Minion

Seeing as I haven't gotten an AP on my own before, do the APs last from date of issue or is it just single year...I looked on the website didn't really see that explained

edit: it says that it needs to be renewed from the renewal date BUT that was for the renewed pass???
    Last edited by ORD84; 07-19-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    When we had passes, we went about once a month. This March, however, we decided to let them expire, and pick up Sea World / Busch Gardens passes instead. We kept our Uni passes, also. We started to feel like Disney was for the schedulers rather than the explorers, and that just wasn't for us. We will probably pick up a FL Res 4 day ticket after Fantasyland re-opens, however, until then, I'm enjoying exploring the other parks.
    I couldn't agree more. When I pop into Universal/IOA or SeaWorld I want to explore, and see things, at Disney I just don't feel that, I feel rushed.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

When I had an AP I went almost every weekend for awhile (and I lived an hour away). After awhile though, I started getting burned out and went maybe once a month until my AP expired. I chose not to renew.

• Volleyball Dad

I am outside of your boundaries ( 1200 miles away) but we book at least 1 trip ( 7-8 nites minimum)- and if we can we book the next one 11months apart in order to use the AP twice. Sometimes it works- sometimes it doesn't- but I like the AP for being able to then buy the Tables in Wonderland card
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    We started to feel like Disney was for the schedulers rather than the explorers, and that just wasn't for us. We will probably pick up a FL Res 4 day ticket after Fantasyland re-opens, however, until then, I'm enjoying exploring the other parks.
    This. Totally. Since I've been a regular visitor to WDW since 1977, I just like to explore and take my time as I don't feel I need to go "commando" and try to see it all in "X" number of days. Sadly with the coming of FastPass and the dining plans, I can't do that as much as I like to anymore. I don't want to have to schedule my entire day at the parks. I like to be spontaneous and let things just happen. I like to have a meal when I'm hungry... not because I have to eat at 6:00 because I have reservations. This is why I stick to the counter service restaurants 99% of the time.

I feel more.... freedom at Busch Gardens. I don't have to schedule anything I want to do (outside of the kangaroo feedings because those are specific times ). There's days I don't even go on any rides and that's by choice. I just take my time, see the animals, maybe catch a show or two.

Now when I visit WDW I too usually just get the FL resident 4 Day Play pass and sometimes add the "no expiration" option and then break up my trips over the course of the year (every 3 or 4 months or so). I'll probably do that again once the Fantasyland expansion opens as I'm curious to check it all out.

I'm a bit outside the boundaries (1440 miles-in southern Maine) but thought I'd chip in anyway....I'll have 29 days under my belt by the time this pass expires. As a DVC member, we come during slower periods so we get more nites in with our points. We also take advantage of the Tables in Wonderland-love that program.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• Volleyball Dad

if you are buying first time over th phone/web link you get a 'voucher' -- the clock starts from the day you turn in the voucher @ guest services for an actual AP. It goes for 12 months. Renewals are based on a year from the initial activation data as well.

NOTE: Tables in wonderland cards that I get along with my AP_ the initial one goes to the end of the 13th months from when you first used it..
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast