Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Now with 5% more insanity

Re: Reduced Monorail Hours

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    For some reason this really cracked me up! I guess because this is how I do Disney too. I've never stayed at a monorail resort; the ONLY reason I ever would, would be for the monorail.

Say, here's an idea: How about STOP the EMH and use closed hours for maintenance in the PARKS as well as on the monorail.

Anyone with me?
    You have my vote right here. We never stay in any of the hotels owned by Disney anyway as we're perfectly content in staying in a motel that's only $50 a night. the EMH don't apply to us, and the increase in maintenance would be nice.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I don't see what is so bad about EMH. (I am talking just in general, not talking about its effect on the current transportation situation) I have never had a bad experience with EMH.
    I think the dissatisfaction comes from the fact that they don't really deliver on their promise. Evening EMH actually grew out of something called E-ticket nights, a hard-ticket Magic Kingdom-only event that ran from 1997-2004. It was only open to resort guests, cost less than $13/night (less than $11/night for kids), and was capped at 5000 people per night. Because the number of guests was capped and you also had to pay extra for it, it actually did deliver on very limited crowds. You could ride Space Mountain, get off, and then literally run through the queue back onto the attraction.

In the mid-2000s, Disney started to really implement the "Magical Captivity Program" by offering heavy incentives to stay on property, and eliminating the need for rental cars with Magical Express. As part of this, they discontinued E-ticket nights and started offering evening EMH, now free and open to all resort guests, no cap.

While EMH does extend the amount of hours that resorts guests can spend in a given park, it doesn't necessarily increase the amount of attractions that one can go on. This is because it often concentrates demand in that park. For instance, if MK is open til midnight and has EMH til 3am, it'll receive a flood of resort guests (pretty much all resort park hoppers w/o young children or w/ a baby-sitter) from other parks around 9-10 resulting in much longer lines. It can also be just about guaranteed that almost all resort guests without the ability to park hop will be in that park all day thus increasing the wait times even well before EMH starts (and thus also affecting locals or those staying off property who can't utilize EMH). This all has the effect that though the park is open later, the lines for E-tickets like Space Mountain will often be significantly longer at 2am on an EMH night than they will at 10pm on a normal night.

It also impacts the guest experience in slightly less obvious ways. If the MK is open til 3am, it can't fully close until the last guests leave by 4am or so. It then has to be fully ready for guests by 9am. How much maintenance do you think the already understaffed maintenance CMs are able to get done during that time? And while we're speaking of CMs, if an hourly MK CM has a closing shift on an EMH night, they may not leave the park til 5am-6am or so. If they're working the next day, how "magical" do you think they'll be able to be?

Essentially, most people have come to the conclusion that though EMH is a great "selling point" for Disney to offer to resort guests, the overall impact on the guest experience is probably negative. Thankfully, there's been rumors for a while that EMH may be phased out in favor of X-Pass (whatever that is) and the EMH transportation reductions could be the first sign of that. I'm a little wary of X-Pass myself, but will be very happy to see EMH go if it does indeed go. It doesn't benefit guests the way they're duped into believing it does, and it's at least partially to blame for WDW's poor-to-abysmal maintenance.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Marching along

I'm with the previous posters... EMH have had their day but that time has passed. E-Ticket nights were much better... but you know what was even better than that? When the MK stayed open late every night, circa 1996 or so.

Back then, you could actually stroll into the MK around 7pm or so and have a great time with managable crowds and wait times until the park closed around 11pm-midnight.

Lately it seems the only way to do the MK without the total mob scene is to plan ahead, avoid EMH days, get up WAY early, do the park from open-11:30 am or so, then call it quits.

• Program

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    While EMH does extend the amount of hours that resorts guests can spend in a given park, it doesn't necessarily increase the amount of attractions that one can go on.
    But the thing is... going on more rides =/= a better park experience. Yes, rides are important... however, it's not the sole reason for going to the parks. Once of my favourite parts of MK EMH was being able to do something so late at night... even if it was just wandering around. There was almost nothing available for us to do.

(Don't get me started at how crazy I think that "legal age" in Florida is 21 when it's 19 at home... I'm sure next time we'll have more options late at night and will probably feel a little different about EMH)

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    E-Ticket nights were much better... but you know what was even better than that? When the MK stayed open late every night, circa 1996 or so.

Back then, you could actually stroll into the MK around 7pm or so and have a great time with managable crowds and wait times until the park closed around 11pm-midnight.
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mess98 View Post
    But the thing is... going on more rides =/= a better park experience. Yes, rides are important... however, it's not the sole reason for going to the parks. Once of my favourite parts of MK EMH was being able to do something so late at night... even if it was just wandering around. There was almost nothing available for us to do.

(Don't get me started at how crazy I think that "legal age" in Florida is 21 when it's 19 at home... I'm sure next time we'll have more options late at night and will probably feel a little different about EMH)
    You know I absolutely agree with you that:
    (a) There's more to the parks than just going on attractions and it's great to be able to just wander around.
    (b) There needs to be more to do after hours.
    (c) The drinking age should be lowered. (But that's another issue entirely... Let's not open that can of worms.)

In fact I thought about a and b almost immediately after I wrote my post. But I still think that EMH isn't the answer due to its aforementioned effects of disproportionately distributing crowds throughout the day, limiting much-need maintenance time in the parks, and exhausting CMs. I would love to eliminate EMH, and just slightly extend all park hours with a similar schedule to what ti2gr proposed above. I think that'd ultimately be the best for park maintenance, CM health, and would offer the most benefit to all guests.

As far as what to do after-hours, this is where DTD really needs to be re-vitalized. I actually think that Hyperion Wharf is a great idea, if it's executed effectively (and of course now there's a question of whether it'll be executed at all), but I think DTD is where Disney needs to really offer some quality, Disney after-hours options both for those who are "of age" and those who aren't.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234