Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Perfect time for Disneyworld is now.

If you're wondering when is the perfect time to go to Disneyworld with the kids, that time is now. Park is open for extended hours and best of all you don't have to take them out of school. Loved the summer vacays when I was a kid, and we as Americans need to go back more to that. Hard to teach responsability when we're allowing the kids to shirk their responsability and go to an amusement park.

• Imagination is the Start

Re: Perfect time for Disneyworld is now.

To be honest this is the 2nd worst time to go, If you want an amazing time to goto WDW i would suggest the end of august for people that start in Sept. and Dec the week BEFORE christmas week, I went last year and it was practically empty, probably because most people are going for xmas week. You dont have to take them when they're in school, even then it mihgt be busy. Sept to mid october is awesome, so is january to early feb (it's freezing though). Thats if u wana take 'em outta school

Imagination is just the start

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah this is really the worst time to go. High crowds, extreme heat & humidity, plus we're in our rainy season (it'll rain/storm nearly every day... and rain HARD), and with the rain, the humidity is even WORSE.

For me the ideal time is early November, between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Better weather, kids are back in school.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

interesting first post Maverick
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    interesting first post Maverick
    Indeed. And since it's turning into the "my favorite time to go is" thread, I'll join in: I'm taking my kids this summer, but it's definitely not my favorite time to go. Too hot, and people are cranky. I never pull my kids from school for Disney, there are plenty of weekends and random days off. Without a doubt, my favorite time to go is Christmas, in spite of the crowds. There is just such a happy vibe, and I'll take bundling up for the cold over sweating buckets any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick423 View Post
    If you're wondering when is the perfect time to go to Disneyworld with the kids, that time is now. Park is open for extended hours and best of all you don't have to take them out of school. Loved the summer vacays when I was a kid, and we as Americans need to go back more to that. Hard to teach responsability when we're allowing the kids to shirk their responsability and go to an amusement park.
    If you want to go when it is Africa Hot where youll plot your course by where the next A/C area is lol, rains alll the time with little or no warning (and if you think it will cool down after the rain GUESS AGAIN as the humidity is even higher after the storm passes and the sky clears), experience the thrill of being in the Lightning capitol of the USA during those storms, having a chance that you will be able to experience a big hurricane, have an opportunity to meet a lot of new people since youll be in lines alot since the parks are really crowded usually... If you are wanting to be responsible then the correct thing to do is to teach your kids that leaving school in the winter (which is much nicer weather wise here in Florida) to go to WDW is a privelige and not a right... that the privelige is contigent upon certain conditions such as grades, behavior, etc...

In my humble opinion planning a trip to go to WDW during the summer solely to teach your kids a lesson is going to perhaps teach them a different lesson if they are wise enough to know it...and that is WHY the heck would Mom & Dad take us to WDW now when they could have taken us at a cooler and perhaps less crowded time?

Just my opinion...and as a Florida resident of nearly 30 years I will stick with this opinion lol...

The only time I would go in the summer is if I won a trip or something like that and the summer was the only time I was allowed to use the prize.(a free trip to the World should never be passed up - regardless of when it is given) My favorite time to go is early February - before President's Day week. My parents used to take us out of school to go to Disney all the time - they wouldn't take us when other people are there - they're not that wild about people, let alone great gobs of them, in the heat, and the humidity, with long lines, and having to wait for everything from transportation to food, no that definitely would not have worked. My mother would call the school and ask for work for us - we lived in Buffalo and drove down so there was plenty of down time in the car - and she'd check over our work at the end of the trip before we handed it in. I loved it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Life is short, family vacations should be taken when they can be taken. If work is light in the fall, then take your kids out of school.

Personally summer is fun in Orlando, but each season now is really special... from Summer Concerts, to the Fall festivities, to the Holiday Seasons, to wonderful Spring... Orlando is really great YEAR ROUND!

So it is always a good time to come and visit!

personally I like the first two weeks of Feb and the last two weeks of October are my favorite times to go....

Feb it's usually nice during the day and alittle chilly at night and you don't really have to worry too much on summer crowds or anything like that until presidents day weekend...

last two weeks of Oct are my other fave because whats better than spending your birthday in WDW???

Quote Originally Posted by puntagordabob View Post
    In my humble opinion planning a trip to go to WDW during the summer solely to teach your kids a lesson is going to perhaps teach them a different lesson if they are wise enough to know it...and that is WHY the heck would Mom & Dad take us to WDW now when they could have taken us at a cooler and perhaps less
    My parents used to take us in the spring in between breaks or first week of summer vaca and base the amount we got to spend on souvenirs on our report cards...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Like some, the only time my family can take a vacation is in the summer due to school and work schedules. Sometimes the heat doesn't bother us, especially with the summer we had a couple of years ago. It was the first time we experienced summer like weather that year and this was in mid-July.

I mean it is the perfect time to go because this is when the kids have been alloted the time off from school. We as parents have an obligation to hold their schedules just as importantly as we do our own. So what if it is hot, just a great reason to take a break and head to one of those great pools. You reward kids for good grades with opportunities to get even more education not to hum its a small world after all. Yes life is short and the educational window for the kids is even shorter take advantage of it and don't worry so much on what is better for you. I like most my age took family vacations in the hot summer and don't remember once thinking my parents as being tortuous. Rather I was greatful for the time spent with them and appreciative of the all the fun. Yes you sometimes get storms, although in Florida that is common year round and they usually are over very quickly. That's just Florida. Rewarding people by allowing them to shirk their commitments really isn't the best practice is it?

• WDW will always be home.

I mean it is the perfect time to go because this is when the kids have been alloted the time off from school. We as parents have an obligation to hold their schedules just as importantly as we do our own. So what if it is hot, just a great reason to take a break and head to one of those great pools. You reward kids for good grades with opportunities to get even more education not to hum its a small world after all. Yes life is short and the educational window for the kids is even shorter take advantage of it and don't worry so much on what is better for you. I like most my age took family vacations in the hot summer and don't remember once thinking my parents as being tortuous. Rather I was greatful for the time spent with them and appreciative of the all the fun. Yes you sometimes get storms, although in Florida that is common year round and they usually are over very quickly. That's just Florida. Rewarding people by allowing them to shirk their commitments really isn't the best practice is it?
    Just a guess... Are you a teacher?

Summer really is the worst time to go. The crowds and weather are abysmal. Fall and spring (as long as it's not Easter week) are much more pleasant. This is just as true for the kids as it is the parents. Next time you're there in the summer, take a look at all the whining, crying, exhausted children. Take a look at the frayed nerves and exasperated parents. You see this a lot less during other times of the year.

I routinely took trips to WDW (and other destinations) during the school year and I wasn't shirking my commitments. I always arranged with my teachers to have the work I missed done in advance (or sometimes shortly after I returned). Many of my teachers thought it was great that I traveled and would try to make the trip an even more educational experience by having me write or present a report about it. I had one teacher who told me that she thought it was wonderful that I was able to travel so much because you learn so much about history and other cultures through traveling.

Moreover, I think you're unfairly/inaccurately characterizing the WDW experience by reducing it to "hum[ming] its a small world after all." There are wide areas of the property - Liberty Square, World Showcase, the exhibits at Animal Kingdom - that are very educational (and that's a very short list). Speaking as someone who has had a good deal of academic success and always been a voracious reader, I know that a lot of my interest in American history and world cultures was sparked by my experiences in Walt Disney World as a child in the '80s.

So basically, if you prefer the summer, that's great for you - please feel free to take all the trips you want there during the summer. You'll find very few (if any) WDW veterans who honestly think that summer is the best time to go, especially with children.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

If you feel it is a good idea to use your vacation to teach a moral/work ethic lesson than more power to you - as a parent, it's up to you how you raise your children. But I don't think parents who choose to do it differently are teaching the wrong message of "shirking" responsibility, as you put it. There are lessons to be learned either way. I think one of the reasons my parents did it the way they did (besides hating crowds, heat and humidity with an absolute passion) was to demonstrate that you don't need to have your life dictated to you. As long as we were able to complete our work/assignments and get good grades, they were fine with that - whether the trip was in summer, October, February, and so on....Plus, my parents believed firmly that kids should be allowed to have a childhood and all that came with it - sometimes that means stepping outside the lines a little. For the record, we're all hard-working adults now with excellent work ethic so I'm not sure that it was too detrimental in the end. ;-)

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Umm...

First, if you take your kid out of school and travel, chances are that they'll learn more wherever they go than what they would have learned in school. No offense to any teachers, but actually going somewhere and traveling to it is far more valuable than reading about the place in a textbook.

Second, when I was young, teachers would simply give me a report to do on where I went if I was going somewhere. It wasn't a big deal.

Third, and most important, kids are kids. You're not going to teach them anything by going or not going on vacation during school or the summer. The idea that you can teach responsibility that early on with something as vague as when to take a family vacation is mis-guided. You're also sending the message to your children that their school schedule is more important than family time, and by extension, them, which is a pathetic message to give to your kids.

Fourth, Summer is crowded enough in WDW. As far as afternoon storms being common year round in Florida, seriously, have you ever been to Florida? Do you know anything about Florida's weather patterns? Florida has a RAINY SEASON. The rest of the year it's mostly dry. By most standards, if Florida didn't have a rainy season, it would be considered a desert.

Finally, the best time to go is right after school starts, the week after Labor Day. It's still hot and can rain, but there are no crowds. Crowds and long lines do things to people. It's best to avoid them on a family trip. I've seen Disney push families apart and push families together, and usually crowds and long lines are the cause of that happening or not.
    -Bill

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

You can teach your kids whatever lesson you want. I would much rather teach the lesson or opportunity reward, get them prepared to take time off my getting homework done, and assigned so they can go on the trip.

Everyone is allowed to parent how they see fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast