Mouse Extra Blog Archive The Best of Queues

What are yours and y?
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Top 5 Queues

hmmm well...

Ok, I have to include universal because the first few that came to mind when this question was asked were universal rides lol.

WDW
    1. Tower of Terror - love the setting of the scene
    2. Journey Into Your Imagination - I just love the setting up of the imagination institute.
    3. Muppets 4-D - I love all the gags
    4. Space Mountain - Helps you feel like you are truly on a space station
    5. Haunted Mansion - I do love the new garden with the interactive features

Universal
    1. The Forbidden Journey - No where on earth is there a queue like this... where 1 hour in line does not feel long enough.
    2. Men In Black - Literally feel like you are in the movie
    3. E.T. - The forest smell... it is magical.
    4. SpiderMan - You literally step right into a comic book
    5. Doctor Doom's Fear Fall - For a dumb ride, this queue is amazing, with intense set up.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

# 1 through 5: Tower of Terror (WDW's, not DCA's). Something intangibly special about this one. It's just so real... Everything else (Expedition Everest, Pirates, even Forbidden Journey) feel like Really Cool Queues in a theme park. The Tower of Terror queue feels like an Old Haunted Hollywood Hotel. I can't put my finger on why...

• Pilot EdForceOne

hrmm... let's draw some distinctions. We are talking the queue - not the preshow itself or necessarily the exterior of the building alone and are we talking WDW specifically?

I had a hard time with top 5.. so I'll list my top 10

With those criteria.. I would say...

#1 is Expedition Everest. Not only is it detailed, but it leads you through the story. It reaks of authenticity, even though it's telling you a fake story. It has the most progression of story setup I can think of in the parks.
    #2 - The Seas Nemo and Friends - Creatively I think this queue is just top notch. It has great details, it has neat gimmics, it has great story pieces and does a top job of setting up the ride. The only real negatives are the blue walls and the load area.
    #3 - ITTBAB - Just from the level of detail.. the immersion into the tree of life.. the comedy of the posters.. this one just kills time easiy and there is always something more to find.
    #4 POTC - The fort is awesome inside.. its simple yet thought out.. and really sets the tone of being in that spanish fort.
    #5 Mission Space - The look, the setting, the details.. all the way till you open the last set of doors.. this thing builds anticipation
    #6 Star Tours - The AAs (does any attraction have this many in the queue?), the effects, and come on.. it's star wars!!
    #7 TSMM - the only thing this one is missing is 'texture' in some way. It feels so sterile, yet the throwback references are so strong and emotionally striking for people.. it just needs something more then the rectangular room and flat tile floors I think
    #8 The American Adventure. This building is so detailed, and the exhibits are top notch. I know it doesn't reek 'theme park' but the details are there if you look. This place is severely underrated
    #9 Test Track - I don't know why I don't rate this one higher.. I think because of the big open room and boring nature of some of the sets. It feels like a great idea, that just kind of misses a bit... or maybe it feels like it could have been so much more.
    #10 Jungle Cruise

Honorable Mentions
    - If we included the pre-show.. I'd put Haunted Mansion up there along with the exterior.
    - MiLF and Philharmagic both get a mention for the writing - but the execution just isn't immersive enough
    - Kali River Rapids - so much effort and detail. It just lacks the story portions or they are too buried IMO.
    - Dinosaur - Visually it's very impressive and realistic. I think it just suffers from building up to being what is such a disappointing ride it suffers from that stink.
    - Muppets: If we included the pre-show... as it's better then the main movie! The props in the ceiling are cute, but not enough for me to win it all.

I think a good varient of this thread is.. 'Top 5 load stations'
    Such as
    #1 RNRC
    #2 ToT
    #3 Dinosaur
    #4 Great Movie Ride
    #5 UoE - come on man.. a movie theatre that converts to a moving attraction. I still love that

I love the Muppets Pre-show.. but if I take the movie out of it... it's kind of on the level of MiLF/Philharmagic to me.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Flynn a great list!

• Imagination is the Start

WDW
    1. TSM - I enjoy looking at the photos in the photo viewer things. Also just a fun que with singing potatohead
    2. Tie - Space & Soarin' - The interactivity is great and still isnt old after playing so many times
    3. Figment - Very Detailed and again funny in the big picture
    4. Everest - Very detailed and i love the story it tells, as well as finding something new all the time
    5. Star Tours 2 - Will always love the que, the minorish updates just made it even better

Universal
    1. The Forbidden Journey - BEST EVER! The lines so good that theres even a line to just take a tour of the place.
    2. Men In Black - This Que is Great, i tend to skip it, being a single rider a lot, but great que.
    3. Mummy - Great cue, only complaint is that its WAY to Dark, has interactivity and just a tomb lol
    4. SpiderMan - Walking through the Daily Bugle at roughly Lunch time, it just brings you in, as if people were there and your just taking a tour when everybody's at lunch
    5. Dudley do right - Though fairly crampped, this cue is very enjoyable, but not enough to get a higher spot on my list

Imagination is just the start

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

#5- Star Tours II
    I love the nods to the old ride (especially getting to see Rex every time I ride) and the dialogue, especially from Patrick Warburtonbot.

#4- Rock 'N' Rollercoaster
    The first half (before the preshow) is fairly light, but the whole area to the vehicles is so drenched in detail that I wish I could get closer to it (for example, take the single rider line and look at the billboard, also look for the cover of Led Zeppelin I)

#3- Pirates Of The Carribean
    It's this high because it has my all-time favorite gag in the entire Disney empire- the skeletons playing chess. The pieces are arranged in such a way that neither person could win. It's the ultimate in subtlety.

#2- Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror
    The library, lobby, and gift shop are probably the closest Disney has ever gotten to intentionally creating creepiness.

#1- Muppetvision
    So well done, the only queue that I notice something new every time I ride, and the lightheartedness of the whole ride is portrayed best by this amazing queue (can't forget the video- makes me laugh every time!)
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

My favorites are those I like the atmosphere in most because they are open, inviting, intricately themed, set up the story, keep you entertained, and you dont feel like youre standing in a line. All from DHS and AK which both do a great job of atmosphere in general.

(no particular order)
    Star Tours
    Great Movie Ride
    Tower of Terror
    Kali River Rapids
    Expedition Everest
    Dinosaur
    Its Tough to be a Bug

• formerly very helpful

It's been a few years since I've been to WDW, so I have to base this on my last trip there in 2006.

Star Tours - as far as I'm concerned, this is where the attraction starts. It brings you into the adventure from the first step in the building. Very entertaining.

Pirates of the Carribean - flawless execution. Looks completely authentic, makes me feel like I'm there.

Tower of Terror - again, impeccable theming. It makes the whole building - and therefore the adventure - seem like it's in a real place.

Muppets - that holding area with the muppet props, and the TV screens with the pre-show are pee-in-your-pants funny, especially for any self-respecting muppets fan.

It's Tough to be a Bug - makes me feel like I'm really getting small. I love the "Broadway" posters and the buzzing music. Hilarious, but subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    #8 The American Adventure. This building is so detailed, and the exhibits are top notch. I know it doesn't reek 'theme park' but the details are there if you look. This place is severely underrated

Honorable Mentions
    - If we included the pre-show.. I'd put Haunted Mansion up there along with the exterior.

I think a good varient of this thread is.. 'Top 5 load stations'
    #1 RNRC
    #5 UoE - come on man.. a movie theatre that converts to a moving attraction. I still love that
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeNameMLS View Post
    3. Mummy - Great cue, only complaint is that its WAY to Dark, has interactivity and just a tomb lol
    Oooo good choices! Love all of those. I also think Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge deserves a mention for both its former and current cue.

• formerly very helpful

People have mentioned Haunted Mansion. Funny. I really, really love Haunted Mansion, but I've never thought of the stretching room and walking part as a part of the queue. To me, it's all part of the ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Ok I have to give Star Tours 2 major Props, and it should replace Journey Into Your Imagination on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    - Pirates Of The Carribean
    It's this high because it has my all-time favorite gag in the entire Disney empire- the skeletons playing chess. The pieces are arranged in such a way that neither person could win. It's the ultimate in subtlety.
    Get outta town, really??? I didn't know that! How cool to come on this board and learn something new!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    People have mentioned Haunted Mansion. Funny. I really, really love Haunted Mansion, but I've never thought of the stretching room and walking part as a part of the queue. To me, it's all part of the ride.
    This

• Lemony Goodness

#1: HM
    #2: Test Track (That music is just so catchy and I love the "tests")
    #3: Space Mountain (Once again, love the star tunnel music)

Flynnibus's lists are excellent.

Here goes -

Expedition Everest
    POTC
    The Seas with Nemo and Friends
    Haunted Mansion - if you count everything prior to boarding the Doom buggies a queue.
    Muppets 3D
    Great Movie Ride
    Kilimanjaro Safari
    Test Track
    It's Tough To Be A Bug -LOVE the walk back into the tree roots and all the animals carved there.
    Space Mountain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast