View Poll Results: How Much NEMO?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The rehab is just fine. Kids love Nemo. Why not go 100%?

7 24.14%
  • Disney should update the pavilion, but a little more Nemo is OK.

10 34.48%
  • Update the pavilion, but no more Nemo! What we have is good, but this isn't Fantasyland...

10 34.48%
  • Do not touch the pavilion. It's perfect as-is.

0 0%
  • Get rid of Nemo! The characters don't belong in Epcot.

3 10.34%
  • Other - you decide

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Lightbulb Epcot's Living Seas - How Much Further Should they Go?

We've heard that Disney Imagineering has big plans for Epcot's Living Seas pavilion - despite the changes we've already seen (Can You Find Nemo?, Bruce's Sub Shack, Turtle Talk with Crush, Meet and Greet, Merchandise, Video Screen Narrations).

From what we've heard, the Imagineers are potentially looking at swapping the entrance and the exit, removing the hydrolators, possibly including a brand new ride or walkthrough (not the Sea Cabs), and essentially turning the pavilion into a total Finding Nemo "experience."

(Hollograms of the Nemo characters were being designed for the Sea Cabs, but due to disrepair of the area, that project was cancelled).

How far has Nemo gone? What do you think of an update, but keeping the Seabase Alpha/Nemo balance?

Well considering anything they would suggest is in your eyes a step in the wrong direction, why even ask?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Underworld
    Well considering anything they would suggest is in your eyes a step in the wrong direction, why even ask?
    Digital -- The purpose of this thread was to poll the MiceChat forums on what they think should be done to the Living Seas. Let's not turn this into an attack thread.

• Dread Pirate Roberts #137

IMO, The Living Seas was good while it lasted, but right now it's past its prime. Walking through the pavilion a few years ago, guests just seemed to be wondering what they were doing there, and what the heck is this supposed to be about again, and where's the rides. The best thing about the pavilion was its ambition...I mean this is one gargantuan attraction! And I liked how there were so many options...the hydrolators, the movies, the omnimover Sea Cab experience, etc. But it's time to face facts: times are changing, and guests are riding Test Track and M:S while skipping LS.

I always liked how sponsorships were handled at LS: UT was used as a partner to glimpse into future technologies of the Seas, and not as a simple advertising opportunity like at other pavilions. Disney needs to keep that aspect.

My suggestion? LS should be updated with new character-driven experiences, but should include other H20-based franchises such as the Little Mermaid. This is realistically the best thing that Disney can do without gutting or removing the pavilion. LS had all of the Epcot educational elements, but now that the pavilion is waning in both attraction technologies and popularity, the most logical thing to do would be to create a connection with characters like Nemo and Ariel that are known throughout the world. Think about it: a child would literally run into a pavilion that had Nemo and Ariel on the marquee, even though that child would have most likely balked at going into LS in times past. But this shouldn't just be a half-***ed job, EVERYTHING should be tied into the new theme. The movies should still be educational, but the presence of Nemo and Ariel would make them much more bearable. Heck, they could even replace a section of the attraction and feature an all-new Little Mermaid show (similar to the one at Tokyo DisneySeas) that highlites the advantages of exploring the sea. Remember, the name of the game is still "edutainment," and frankly the "tainment" part has been lost on LS.
    Trivia: On April Fool's Day 2004, Disneyland guests found -- at the insistence of the board of directors -- the gigantic dragon featured in Fantasmic replaced with a gigantic Roy Disney (leading to a reprimand to the cast member playing Mickey Mouse when he hugged the giant instead of fighting it)

no no no no no no.
    leave the characters out of EPCOT. characters belong in the other parks (especially MK). epcot was not designed to showcase cartoons, it was designed to showcase the more realistic side to life.
    placing character rides inside it will make it lose it's originality. that's why the stupid wand/hand on spaceship earth looks terrible... because it's out of place with the design ofthe park. not to mention it just plain takes away from the icon.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimatronicsGuy
    no no no no no no.
    leave the characters out of EPCOT. characters belong in the other parks (especially MK). epcot was not designed to showcase cartoons, it was designed to showcase the more realistic side to life.
    placing character rides inside it will make it lose it's originality. that's why the stupid wand/hand on spaceship earth looks terrible... because it's out of place with the design ofthe park. not to mention it just plain takes away from the icon.

I agree with you AnimatronicsGuy. Characters should be left out of Epcot. They should probably update all of the technology in the attraction though. They should also put in some sort of fast food restraunt and a new attraction of some sort.

• Minion

The movies should still be educational, but the presence of Nemo and Ariel would make them much more bearable. Heck, they could even replace a section of the attraction and feature an all-new Little Mermaid show (similar to the one at Tokyo DisneySeas) that highlites the advantages of exploring the sea. Remember, the name of the game is still "edutainment," and frankly the "tainment" part has been lost on LS.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I love LS as it is because I love the underwater world. Kids though? Not so sure about them. IMO, they definitely need someting to bring the kids in while also appealing to adults' desire to learn and explore. Having the best of both world's is very doable.

Food would be good too.
    Although serving seafood might not be so good for the morale of the living fish!
    "Ahhh! No! They're eating Bruce!"
    Last edited by Pacha; 03-11-2005 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

• Original Mice-Chatter

I suddenly had this vivid image of them putting a real girl dressed as Ariel in the big tank and people watching her swim around!

• Know More Than You Should

Nemo is fine and everything, but enough is enough. I dont want to have to start visiting an Experimental Pixar Community Of Tomorrow.

Disney should forget the things like "The Living Seas" and leave them to Sea World who are the experts in this field. Epcot deserves better rides and attractions than fake lifts and small fish tanks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AndRu
    Disney should forget the things like "The Living Seas" and leave them to Sea World who are the experts in this field. Epcot deserves better rides and attractions than fake lifts and small fish tanks.
    AndRu --

The aquarium in the Living Seas is the largest manmade sea environment in the world. There's no going back.

• Minion

I still think that if done right, you can have the best of both worlds: Good character theming and good scientific content. I guess I just don't understand how having Nemo characters in the environment would spoil the attraction. :confused:

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I think that LS should be updated, but not upgraded to the point of being completely Nemo. I really enjoy the movie, but LS was not built to be about Nemo. LS was built to teach us about sealife and creatures of the ocean. That is what Epcot is supposed to be about anyway! Education. I am afraid that if you bring Nemo comepletely into LS that it will take the education out of this pavilion. LS will just be the place to go and meet Nemo and his friends. It just kills me everytime people talk about education in our country and how it has gone down. This is one way to show what is happening to our education in this country. It is all commercialized now. A kid can tell you all you want to know about a movie that they watch, but they are not able to tell you about what kind of fish are in the movie, and where they live. It just kills me!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Minion

I respectfully disagree. I really think they can combine the two and not lose on the education end at all. In fact, I'm willing to bet the education end would be more effective for kids if themed with characters.

For example, let's say you want to teach your kid about sea turtles. Which do you think most kids would listen to more intently; an animated Crush or a voice over from a generic announcer? I'm willing to bet the Crush would be the more effective teacher for kids than some generic method.

I'm all for the character theming if it's done the right way and not overdone to a point where adults can't enjoy it. i.e. not over-commercialized.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

But Disney is all about over-commercializing so what do we do???
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast