A Journey Back: Lake Buena Vista Village

Ah, I remember the days back in 1975 of that sleepy little village on a back road to Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. They called it “Lake Buena Vistas Shopping Village” it was mighty peaceful, in fact it was too peaceful for some folk. So it was decided to change the name of the place to “Walt Disney World Village” in the hope of drawing better crowds. Here we have two maps. One from the fall of 1975 and another from the summer of 1978.A Journey Back: Lake Buena Vista Village | Disney by Mark

• formerly very helpful

Re: A Journey Back: Lake Buena Vista Village

There was something really nice about that quiet and quaint little village. I miss it.

• All-American

I actually remember those days... and I'm not that old. Back then on our visits to WDW, my kind-of-cheap family would (just as we do now) take days off from theme parks and stroll around the grounds of hotels instead. Two of our favorites (also just like now) were Port Orleans and Dixie Landings. Sometimes we'd grab a brunch at one of the two hotels, and then take a boat down the Sassagoula River to what my parents called "the Disney Village." They'd let me ride the train little there, and we'd shop and eventually eat lunch there. It was a much quieter, less crowded place then - it seems like I remember it being often near-empty. Lots more trees too.

A Journey Back: Lake Buena Vista Village

Ah, I remember the days back in 1975 of that sleepy little village on a back road to Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. They called it “Lake Buena Vistas Shopping Village” it was mighty peaceful, in fact it was too peaceful for some folk. So it was decided to change the name of the place to “Walt Disney World Village” in the hope of drawing better crowds. Here we have two maps. One from the fall of 1975 and another from the summer of 1978.

A Journey Back: Lake Buena Vista Village | Disney by Mark

• The Voice of the Jungle

Mark, your blog posts are superb! I have enjoyed skimming through your blog enough to award your blog with the Pygmy Seal of Approval! Can't wait for more awesome journeys back in time