Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it worth it to skip rides at other parks?

Is it worth it to skip a ride at a Disney park just because it is a clone from another park?

I understand that with the cost of Disney vacations that time saving needs to be done and to see as much as possible, you may need skip a few rides that you have done countless times over at your regular Disney Park.

I just don't necessarily agree with the mentality that a ride is better at one park, so why waste my time seeing it at another park?

• Banned User

Re: Is it worth it to skip rides at other parks?

Yes. It is a clone. The ride is the same. The difference is the queue. There could be slight differences on some rides. Perhaps you can review your list and decide which clones are significantly different.

Some rides at WDW are worse. Could skip Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and Space Mountain.
    Some are better at WDW. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder.

• Seasick

Depending on time constraints, it can certainly be worthwhile to research which rides are identical or inferior, and prioritize accordingly.

I'd also focus on how different attractions are. Space Mountain is certainly inferior in Florida, but it's so different from Anaheim that I wouldn't skip it.

I agree that one should not have the mentality that riding an "inferior" ride is a waste of time. It's your vacation, and if something is fun, it's not a waste. Pirates is a worse ride in Florida, imo, but if I still enjoy it I haven't wasted my time. Riding a really bad attraction (i.e. Sounds Dangerous), is a bigger waste to me, than riding an attraction that is identical or inferior to its' west coast counterpart.

Part of the fun is comparing as well. WDW actually has the better Haunted Mansion right now, and as similair as they are, I'd hate for anyone to miss it because they've ridden the original often.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

True enough. I just feel like no matter which park I'm at, it's a Disney park and I can't not do classic Disney rides even if they are clones that are worse lol.

Of course that doesn't even begin to take into account the fact that many rides at WDW are in need of serious repair and the park is slacking whereas DLR is thriving.

Thanks!
    Just joined! Can't believe I haven't joined sooner.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

@SwopeMouse18

First give a list of what you are thinking of skipping... because honestly for us Disney Geeks, we know that nothing is an "exact" clone, because there are differences.

That being said, if you are super time constrained, as a blanket statement I would say any FILM based CLONE is worth skipping.

i.e. It's Tough to be a Bug, Captain EO, Muppets 3-D. That being said I do think their their queues (minus EO) deserve to be inspected.

But while Dinosoaur might be an exact clone of Indy in California, it is deff worth riding because it is a different attraction...

However spinners i.e. Dumbo, Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Rockets, Triceritops Spin, all could be skipped...

But give a list of what you are thinking of skipping.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I'm sorry, I should have prefaced this by saying I am an east coaster and have been to WDW multiple times and have yet to visit Disneyland. I wasn't necessarily asking what rides to skip at a park, but just for people's opinions on skipping rides.

I have read that because of the superiority of DLR rides, it is not uncommon to skip the clones at WDW. As a WDW regular, I'm planning on going to DLR for the first time very soon (after all of DCA is finished) and I was just thinking to myself that when I go, I don't think I could justify skipping a ride because I have been on a clone (regardless of superiority issue) because the kid in me would kick myself for not going on a ride.

I apologize for any confusion!

-Zach

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Hey Zach,

No worries, I stand by my... skip the film based attractions then.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Hey Zach,

No worries, I stand by my... skip the film based attractions then.
    Very good point. Also, as previously posted by disneygeek... things like sounds dangerous. which as far as i know, isn't even open haha
    Last edited by SwopeMouse18; 07-25-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Just joined! Can't believe I haven't joined sooner.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -Walt Disney

I wouldn't skip clone rides, unless they are 3-D movies. The rest, while the same ride technically, are different in many ways. There are no rides between DL and WDW that are exactly the same.

Personally I think the so-called clone rides are the most fun! Except for film-based rides as KingEric said (good point he makes there). I too am currently living in the east coast. I went to Disneyland growing up, and get out there now once in a blue moon. I LOVE doing the same rides, because they are not the same at all. Pooh is different, Buzz is different, Pan is different, jungle cruise is different, Space is different, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, need I go on? They're all a little or a lot different. And you can't help but say, "this one is better here, or there", but it's just so much fun to see your favorite "classic" ride that's the same, yet different than what you are used to! It's a little disorienting, in a fun way!

You say you are going to Disneyland in the future, my advice is to go on all the rides that are the "same", except Soarin, Bug's Life etc..., and be sure to add Alice and Mr Toad, California Screamin.

I should mention here a fellow mincechatter advised me to skip DCA's version of Toy Story Mania, which I did, so I can't comment on that. The same person advised me to go on Tower of Terror, and I was glad I did! (Because it was different enough to be fun)

(sighs) All this talk is REALLY making me want to get on a plane and go to Disneyland!!!

Enjoy!

• Imagination is the Start

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Some rides at WDW are worse. Could skip Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and Space Mountain.
    Some are better at WDW. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder.
    This is all a matter of opinion too.

Pirates ill agree with, haunted i actually find better at wdw now, yes to small world only because of the characters, space mountain is very different, different cues, different trains, semi different track as well

Imagination is just the start

I follow these simple ride guidelines:

1) always ride my favorite rides

2) always ride rides I haven't ridden before (say that three times fast)

3) if time remains, re-ride my favorite rides

Honestly depends on the ride. Any spinner ride or 3D show that exists at another park i would definitely skip. Try to hit most dark rides though, they're usually very different from one another. WDW generally got the short end of the stick in dark rides, either that or they haven't been updated in forever to be decent. Examples of this trend are Snow White (current version, definitely not the replacement ride coming) and Peter Pan. Pirates at WDW is by far the worst version of the ride in any Disney park. Only redeeming quality is probably the queue (what is in the ride is still good, but it's heavily stripped down and shortened). Pooh is actually superior at WDW (though Tokyo beats it).

Best rides to go on at WDW that are better than their Disneyland counterparts include- Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and Tower of Terror. I'd just go ahead and ride all the rides you can except for spinners or identical 3D shows.

Looks like the "poor clone" mentality that has plagued WDW for a while is now starting to diminish. WDW now either gets solid clones with pros of its own (looks like Little Mermaid will be great), or entirely new original rides (7 Dwarf Mine Train). Not to mention the stuff at other parks.

If i didn't know beforehand what a ride was like, i'd definitely hit the cloned version at another park. I found out early on in my childhood while visiting Disneyland Paris that the same ride at a different park can be VASTLY different (going on Pirates at DLP was a major shock to see such an amazing improvement).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CodeNameMLS View Post
    This is all a matter of opinion too.

Pirates ill agree with, haunted i actually find better at wdw now, yes to small world only because of the characters, space mountain is very different, different cues, different trains, semi different track as well
    Haunted Mansion is much better at Disneyland. The elevator is for real. At WDW, you walk on by. The built up is better.

The Space Mountain at Disneyland has sound in the cars. I haven't been to the updated MK Space Mountain, but the sound is no longer in the cars. Will it make a difference? I think so. When the finally fixed the faulty sound system in Disneyland's Space Mountain, the ride is much better and it significantly improved the experience. I especially enjoyed the Halloween version of Space Mountain.

I have to say, opinion is one thing, but Disneyland's versions are much better in terms of technology, show, and functionality.

• All-American

I've been to DHS several times since Toy Story Midway Mania opened... but I have yet to ride it there since I am much more willing to wait and ride it the few times that I can get out to Disneyland (where I've ridden it 3 times, and the wait is never higher than 45 minutes) than wait in the 2+ hour lines at DHS.

Conversely, never seen ITTBAB at DCA. Other than that, I'll pretty much ride anything at either resort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast