• MiceAge Columnist

Rilous Carter leaving Epcot; Erin Young to replace him

The VP of Epcot, Rilous Carter, hasn't been in the job very long (recently he switched roles with Dan Cockerell, who went to Rilous's old position at DHS). But he's now moving to be VP of Catering/Convention Services (and Park Event Operations).

The new VP of Epcot will be Erin Young.

Edit: this is word of mouth, so far - no official source.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Re: Rilous Carter leaving Epcot; Erin Young to replace him

I never really liked what Carter's done with DHS so I'll take his departure from Epcot as a win. However, I don't know much about Young so I won't be jumping for joy just yet.*
    Last edited by mr. taag; 08-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well Rilous used to be at Coronado Springs, and he has an amazing attention for detail for events. So i think that this is a perfect fit for him.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Surfin the net with Duffy

The org announcement went out today, so yes it is true!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• WDW will always be home.

The thing that I don't get about this is that both Rilous Carter and Erin Young are now supposed to be reporting to Jim MacPhee. Why? Jim is the VP of Next Generation Experiences. If Erin is a park VP, shouldn't she be reporting directly to Meg Crofton (who I assume Jim also reports to)? I would think it'd also make sense for Rilous to be reporting Meg as well. Why are they both reporting to Jim?
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Know More Than You Should

Jim MacPhee's official title is Senior Vice President NextGen and WDW Parks. So he's head of NextGen but he's also the Senior VP of the WDW parks- the park VPs report to him and then he reports to Meg.

Clearly I am way behind- I spoke with Dan briefly back in June when he was VP of Epcot, and I had no idea that he and Rilous had switched and that Epcot had a new VP. And now Epcot has a new VP again! Things sure do move fast in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    But he's now moving to be VP of Catering/Convention Services (and Park Event Operations).
    This makes sense. There is more innovation happening in catering and convention services than in the EPCOT

• keep moving forward...

I met Mr. Carter on my college program just before he switched to Epcot, he took the time to meet every cp and get feedback from them. On the occasion I met him, he gathered the entire restarunt I worked at to try other food from around the park, talk about what we wanted from our program, and how we were doing so far. Because the park was small enough, he was able to visit with each student, however, he didnt have to do that and really went above and beyond. I hope he is able to do that kind of thing in a bigger part of the corporation.