Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Bring back the Keelboats!

First time at WDW - have a couple of questions for y'all

Hi,there! We usually go to DL for our vacations, but in January, we will be flying with 1 of our grands to WDW. I haven't been there since 1983 (I heard it has changed some) and my hubby and 10-yr old grand have never been.

Is Mid-January a good time to visit? I know it will still be warm. What about average temp then?

We are staying 10 days at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savannah view. Does anyone know approx. the hours for the Parks in mid-January? Are all the outdoor shows like Illumination still running then? Are the busses and shuttles pretty good? I think we will be pretty far away from the Monorail station there.

Thanks to all for any suggestions and help. Hubby will be in mobility scooter -- probably set on Bunny mode, so we will be hopping to keep up with him!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Program

Re: First time at WDW - have a couple of questions for y'all

I was there this past year during President's Week (Mid-Feb) (surprise! I had no idea what this was) and it was quite warm, to be honest. However, quite warm for someone from California is quite different that someone from Toronto.

Assuming that Janurary's weather is similar to Feburary, you should have temperatures between 25 - 30 degrees C... er... 77 - 86 degrees F.

Busses were often enough, however, the MK bus on EMH days were stupidstupidstupid busy, so we took a bus to Epcot and worked our way to MK from there.

10 days?! So very jealous.

If I remember correctly, most of the parks close around 8 or 10 except MK which closes around 12... and all the parks have their respective shows.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Welcome to my home-state. I really can't add to the conversation related to the busses. Living here, I tend just to drive myself around! Being from SoCal, you should be fine in January, no worries. Occasionally, the temps drop into the fifties, and for us Florida folk, that causes us to freak out. Understand too, being this is Florida, you can't really just waltz into the nearest store and grab a sweatshirt. THey aren't really big sellers, per se, down here. You have to go around and look for them.

But, in all honesty? Winter in Florida is truly exceptional. You'll be fine.

A quick scour of the interwebs shows me average attendence during the time you're here; Illuminations should be going down as well. The Animal Kingdom is in a fairly secluded corner of the park--but it is absolutely exquiste. It is an attraction upon itself. I still advocate for, and always have, renting a car. Unlike SoCal, where hoofing it a few yards past the gate, you can find Perkins, food stores and hotels, you cannot escape here. If you want to grab breakfast to have in your hotel room, you have to snag Disney stuff marked up.

Hope that helps!

Peace,
    Roo

PS: Always good to welcome a fellow author. Is your stuff available digitally yet?
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Billy

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Hi,there! We usually go to DL for our vacations, but in January, we will be flying with 1 of our grands to WDW. I haven't been there since 1983 (I heard it has changed some) and my hubby and 10-yr old grand have never been.

Is Mid-January a good time to visit? I know it will still be warm. What about average temp then?

We are staying 10 days at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savannah view. Does anyone know approx. the hours for the Parks in mid-January? Are all the outdoor shows like Illumination still running then? Are the busses and shuttles pretty good? I think we will be pretty far away from the Monorail station there.

Thanks to all for any suggestions and help. Hubby will be in mobility scooter -- probably set on Bunny mode, so we will be hopping to keep up with him!

Hello. I am a retired Walt Disney World cast member.
    I have stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in a savannah view room. It is great. (nice choice)
    The park hours will be cut some during the winter, but you still will have plenty of time in the parks.
    The weather usually will be nice, but cool. Last year it did get pretty cold here. I volunteer every year at the Disney
    World Marathon in January. Some years are real nice, and some not so nice for weather. (just a hit or miss thing)
    But you will enjoy it as the crowds are lighter, except for the weekend of the Marathon. About 40,000 extra people
    that weekend!
    All the shows will be up and running, and the bus service is very good to get around to the parks. (some routes take some
    time to get to where you want to go, so plan for travel time) Enjoy and Have A Magical Trip!
    If you want to contact me, you may at [email protected]
    Billy

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post
    Welcome to my home-state. I really can't add to the conversation related to the busses. Living here, I tend just to drive myself around! Being from SoCal, you should be fine in January, no worries. Occasionally, the temps drop into the fifties, and for us Florida folk, that causes us to freak out. Understand too, being this is Florida, you can't really just waltz into the nearest store and grab a sweatshirt. THey aren't really big sellers, per se, down here. You have to go around and look for them.

But, in all honesty? Winter in Florida is truly exceptional. You'll be fine.

A quick scour of the interwebs shows me average attendence during the time you're here; Illuminations should be going down as well. The Animal Kingdom is in a fairly secluded corner of the park--but it is absolutely exquiste. It is an attraction upon itself. I still advocate for, and always have, renting a car. Unlike SoCal, where hoofing it a few yards past the gate, you can find Perkins, food stores and hotels, you cannot escape here. If you want to grab breakfast to have in your hotel room, you have to snag Disney stuff marked up.

Hope that helps!

Peace,
    Roo

PS: Always good to welcome a fellow author. Is your stuff available digitally yet?
    Thanks, Roo for your help! We are looking forward to the trip.

Yes, my books are on Kindle and Nook. Thanks for asking! This trip will also be research for me for possibly something in the future!

---------- Post added 08-08-2011 at 10:45 AM ----------

Thanks for all the replies so far. Everything will help! I am sure the busses and transports are accessible for the motorized scooter we will be bringing. We will just have to be patient.

As for the temps being around 70-85, awesome!!!! That is our regular temp where we live and love it.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

I've been there in late jan. early Feb. and actually, it's much cooler than summer, but it's not too cold.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Weather is very difficult to predict that time of year. It could be hot, warm, cool, or cold. One year we were there in January, it was 25 degrees in the morning! I'm not kidding. Just keep watching the forecast, and pack accordingly

• I see in Muppet Vision

I have never been there in january but bus transportation around the resort especially from the deluxe hotels is very good. And when you stay at the disney deluxe hotels the buses drop you off right near the park gates.

And as for if you get a park hopper pass you can always take the monorail from Magic Kingdom to Epcot. If you are not park hopping you could just take the monorail for a spin.
    I also recommend using the other means of transportation the resort provides. They might not be the fastest way but can be fun.

By the magic kingdom there are boats you can take across the 7 seas lagoon to the resorts. and by Disney Hollywoods Studios and Epcot (world showcase entrance) you could take a boat to the boardwalk and stroll the boardwalk like you are in Jersey/New England beach town instead of central florida.

Since this is your first trip (in a long time) I highly recommend the book "Mini Mickey" The Pocket-Sized Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. They should sell it at your local barnes and noble or online. It is a great little book that gives you the ins and out of the park and even provides touring plans. I used it to see almost all of Disney world in 3 days in July a few years back.

Because you are going for a long duration of time you should have no trouble seeing all the sights you want to see. I would even recommend checking out some of the other resorts while you are there to just walk around and explore. It's pretty cool sometimes.

• WDW will always be home.

As others have said, the weather can vary quite a bit. I've been to WDW in late Dec./early Jan. when it's been below freezing. Most recently I was there in early Jan. 2011 and it was in the low 40s in the morning, warming up to somewhere in the 60s during the day. I would definitely plan on at least bringing a light jacket and long pants.

All of the outdoor shows will be running except for Fantasmic! which will be closed for refurbishment from January 6 to February 12 (but honestly, you have the far superior version of Fantasmic! in DL anyway so you won't be missing much).

The buses and shuttles are adequate. General consensus is that you don't want to have to rely on them (except maybe if you're going to the MK) if you don't have to. If it's in the budget to get a rental car, that will eliminate what could add up to hours over 10 days spent waiting for a bus and will be a lot more convenient.

I and several others have recently written some very extensive posts on transportation, crowd, dining, and attraction recommendations at WDW for DL natives in this thread. You may find it helpful.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

What everyone else has been saying about the weather. Mid-January can be downright COLD, especially at night. And when it's windy... OMG it's almost unbearable. My advice is to keep an eye on the 10 day forecast here:

10 Day Weather Forecast for The Walt Disney World Resort - weather.com

And plan/pack accordingly.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post
    Illuminations should be going down as well.
    What do you mean by this? As far as I know, IllumiNations runs year round, and only goes down for major refurbs occasionally.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    What do you mean by this? As far as I know, IllumiNations runs year round, and only goes down for major refurbs occasionally.
    I know there are rumors of an illuminations update. But we all know rumors are just rumors. but D23 is coming up. never know if a rumor might pan out to be true.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    I know there are rumors of an illuminations update. But we all know rumors are just rumors. but D23 is coming up. never know if a rumor might pan out to be true.
    From the context, I'm pretty sure that RooBear meant "going down" as in "happening." For example, "The D23 expo will be going down in Anaheim this August." I don't think Roo was saying it would be shut down for refurb. There's been rumors about an Illuminations upgrade, but I don't think any have been so detailed as to specify a refurb date.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Thanks. I for one am not yet ready to say goodbye to the current version of IllumiNations!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

PSUMark, my new best friend, is hip to the lingo. "Going down" means, "yo, yo, yo you got it GOING DOWN, hog!" Meaning it is happening.

I'm so 'street.' Next they'll start calling me macho and saavy.

Now--back to the Original Post!

Peace,
    Roo
    Last edited by RooBear; 08-10-2011 at 06:00 AM.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast