Thread: any thoughts?

Red Face any thoughts?

My husband and I are torn. We are going to WDW from late Jan to early Feb. we booked a room at the Westin Swan for our stay. Disney just announced that during our stay they are offering the free dining package. Now we can't decide if we should book at a moderate resort with free dining or stay at the Swan and pay for dining. we do have reservations at 4 sit down restaurants that would qualify for the dining package. We originally picked the Swan for the amazing beds and walking distance to EPCOT and DHS. should we bail on the Swan to take advantage of the dining package?

• WDW will always be home.

Re: any thoughts?

To me the question is - what's the cost difference between the moderate you're thinking of booking and your current reservation at the Swan? If the moderate is the same price or cheaper, and you don't place a lot of value on staying at the Swan, then to me the choice is obvious - take the free dining at the moderate. If you'll be paying more for the moderate, then it comes to how much more you'll be paying vs. how much you'd spend on dining if you stayed at the Swan (and how much value you place on staying at the Swan).

Two important things to remember:
    1) Free dining is an alternative discount. You are not getting dining for free. Dining is included because you are paying full rack rate for the room, which you would almost certainly not be doing if it wasn't for the "free dining" deal. Often this is not a good deal because the amount of money you save by not paying for dining is less than the additional money you spend by paying full rack rate.
    2) DDP isn't necessarily the best way to eat at WDW. It's nice if you can get it "free" or at a steep discount, but most people find it both to be too much food and restrictive in terms of vacation plans. You feel the pressure to maximize the deal, so you often feel compelled to take advantage of all your entitlements and get the most expensive items possible. This often adds up to too much food for comfort (literally) and lots of dining reservations to worry about on your vacation that interfere with your freedom to do what you want when you want. So keep that in mind.

Really, only you can make this decision, but hopefully the information I and others provide will be helpful to you.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Program

Free Dining early next year?! WHAT?

Not only the dining, but you mentioned that the Swan was picked because of it's walking distance proximity to EPCOT and DHS. Will the moderate resort allow for that as well. How would you feel having to rely on the transportation system every time you left the room. Also keep in mind that depending on where in the moderate resort your room is located you may have to spend 15 - 20 minutes or so riding around the resort picking up others before you actually head on out to the destination. All the moderates are huge properties and have multiple bus stops.

• Super Old Guy

Well, yeah, the moderates are large and have multiple bus stops (except for Port Orleans French Quarter, if I'm not mistaken). But 15 to 20 minutes to make the loop? That's a little much. The busses at the Coronado Springs make the full loop through the resort in about 5 minutes, so it's not really that bad.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Having stayed at all the moderates and the Dolphin, I can understand the dilemma. I am not a fan of the Dining Plan, and if you aren't planning on utilizing it to its fullest. (i.e. use the full credits you have) then I would stay away from it. Also, the location and luxury of the Swan and Dolphin resorts are truly amazing. GREAT beds, and taking the boats is so convenient!

The best thing would be to call Disney and see what the price for free dining would be. I would take the less expensive of the 2 options. Of course, if you don't think you would be able to stay at a deluxe again, then I would stick to the Swan. Otherwise, do a cost analysis to see which would be more cost effective - great rate at the Swan or the DDP at a moderate (I would suggest the French Quarter if you choose this, which does have only 1 bus stop, is a lot smaller, and such a wonderful resort in general)

Let us know what you pick!

And mess98, info on free dining is here.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    The best thing would be to call Disney and see what the price for free dining would be.
    Well, the price of the free dining would be . . . NOTHING!

(I knew what you meant, though . . . )

I enjoy the dining pkgs.but, ihave never had the pleasure of staying at the Swan.I probably would love the beds and convenience of walking to a park. We also like the convenience of dining being pre paid.just figure a 20% tip and your done.

• Super Old Guy

Unless you want an appetizer or an alcoholic beverage, that is . . .

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. we decided to stay at the Swan and not worry about missing out of the "free" dining.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Well, the price of the free dining would be . . . NOTHING!

(I knew what you meant, though . . . )
    A classic example of typing faster than thinking.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!