Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disney aficionado

Transportation Around World Showcase @ Epcot

Originally Posted by ttintagel
    I really wish they'd bring back the double-decker buses, or get a trolley, or some other form of mass transit around World Showcase. Even if it only made a couple of stops, I think it would make a big difference for guests. (Especially since World Showcase is something that appeals to older guests.)

A trolley would be an awesome idea. Something that would be worth riding just to ride not just for transportation. I agree the World's Showcase is mainly for older people. It is horrible for older people to get around in the heat for sure. They should have a track that runs a circle with stops just at the entrance to Future World, France, American, Adventure and China.

Even to have a track just from the entrance to Future World to the American Adventure would be nice. It's awful to have dinner reservations at Italy when you are back in Future World seeing Soarin'.

They could even have a couple of ferries or something from Future World to American Adventures. That would be the easiest thing to implement and cut your walking distance in half.

Hopefully, Disney will catch onto these ideas and do something about it before someone dies of heat stroke from walking too much around the Showcase.

Let me know any of your ideas! Maybe, we can convince someone in the know at Disney to do something bout it.
    Last edited by Yackerz; 08-10-2011 at 06:43 AM.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Re: Transportation Around World Showcase @ Epcot

When I was there in 2009 i believe there were still boats that traveled to the different ports around the worldshowcase... I never took them but i knew they were there. However i really do like the trolly idea.

Boats visible in image below. whether or not they still run... i have no idea.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongIslandGuy; 08-09-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: found image

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    When I was there in 2009 i believe there were still boats that traveled to the different ports around the worldshowcase... I never took them but i knew they were there. However i really do like the trolly idea.

Boats visible in image below. whether or not they still run... i have no idea.
    If they were there 2 weeks ago, I was oblivious to the fact. They definitely should put up signs for them and use them if they have them. Maybe, get a couple more and make it an actual time saver rather than walking around the world.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    If they were there 2 weeks ago, I was oblivious to the fact. They definitely should put up signs for them and use them if they have them. Maybe, get a couple more and make it an actual time saver rather than walking around the world.
    Yea i know... It's rough I think it's a lil over 2 miles i read somewhere.... but i do think it is a very nice a leisurely walk if you do it slowly.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

The boats are most definitely still there and running.

The trick to getting around the World Showcase is to just slow down and take your time. If you have to get up to Italy for dinner in 10 minutes, then it's going to be a pain. But if you plan your time a little better, and leave enough time for a wonderful leisurely stroll, then the walk is totally enjoyable, not to mention healthy!

• I see in Muppet Vision

Thanks for confirming. I haven't been there since 2009.

and very much agreed that you need to take your time and just enjoy it! and healthy is always a huge plus!

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    The boats are most definitely still there and running.

The trick to getting around the World Showcase is to just slow down and take your time. If you have to get up to Italy for dinner in 10 minutes, then it's going to be a pain. But if you plan your time a little better, and leave enough time for a wonderful leisurely stroll, then the walk is totally enjoyable, not to mention healthy!
    Well, it would have been nice to know that! O we did plan better than to make a straight shot to Italy in 10 minutes for dinner. We stopped halfway at France to catch the France movie. However, it still was a long walk. We walked around the World Show case starting at Mexico completely stopping everywhere and doing all the rides and shows up to France (skipping the movie at France the first time). Then we completed the loop not stopping anywhere until we were at Soarin'. Then we saw Captain EO. Then we walked back around the loop starting on the Canada side all the way to France, saw the movie, then completed the journey to Italy. It's not so bad once you get later in the day or when the weather gets cooler. However, in the summer it is torture even with stopping to look around at every place! I'm in good shape too.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The boats are called Friendship Boats, I believe, and I rode them a lot on my last trip.

Even riding boats, and trolleys takes time. They only run every so often, and sometimes they aren't there when you want them to be.

My last vacation to Disney World was the only one that I ever took where we didn't have reservations for dining each and every day. It made things much less stressful, and more spontaneous.

A good working wristwatch is a necessity on a Disney World vacation. Especially when one is expected to be at a particular restaurant at a particular time. Although, I guess a lot of people check the time on their phones, more than on their wrists.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Metro-Retro Historian

The Friendship Boats still run. The problem with them is that they shut down for the night once the barges for Illuminations come out. If memory serves, this happens about two hours before showtime.

I'm all for the return of the double decker buses. The walk around the lagoon can be very long, particularly for guests at both ends of the age spectrum.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• All-American

Just measured the distance around World Showcase on Google Earth, just for kicks... it's almost exactly a mile from one point on World Showcase all the way around back to that point (1.05 miles). Since there's never a reason to go more than halfway around if you only need to get to one point, then that means that a really brisk walk to any point should never need to take more than... what... 10 minutes or so?

Definitely agreed on the trolley though. Only problem is that some areas have gotten increasingly narrow over the years - the new Mexican restaurant springs to mind - and weaving two trolley lines (if a 2-way system) through those areas with bad crowds could be a problem. But still, that should definitely be something they look into.

It's not so bad once you get later in the day or when the weather gets cooler. However, in the summer it is torture even with stopping to look around at every place!
    I'll agree with you on that one - all the more reason to NOT visit during the hotter months!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Just encountered this situation last night! We had run to MouseGear to get a very specific gift for someone's birthday and decided, what-the-hey, why don't we grab some counter service. We were ill-prepared, having worn flip-flops and were not looking forward to the hike to Japan, for our favorite, Yakitori House.

Now the boat was running, but, here's the tic, when they bring out the fire barges for Illuminations, they cut one boat. And it goes diagonally from near Mexico to Morocco and back.

We elected to hoof it. OUCH! But we noticed that the streets had gotten very narrow over time and the bridge by the UK/France would have to be some kind of turn around point.

Still, interesting topic to bring up.

I do recommend using the boats when possible. A/C across the water!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'll agree with you on that one - all the more reason to NOT visit during the hotter months!
    I'm a teacher, so I can't really help it. It's between Christmas break which is even more crowded crowded and twice the expense for hotels and the summer months. I'll pick the heat.

I thought the friendship boats only ran to Hollywood Studios / Swan & Dolphin / Beach Club / Yacht Club. I didn't know they actually went around the parks.

They could add a trolley or bus system behind the World's showcase not in front where the traffic is? Not sure how much room there is behind the buildings. They could call it World Showcase behind the scenes or something lol.

I thought the friendship boats only ran to Hollywood Studios / Swan & Dolphin / Beach Club / Yacht Club. I didn't know they actually went around the parks.
    There are two docks on the northernmost point of the World Showcase, and the loop runs between them and a dock in Germany on one side and Morocco on the other.

• Disney aficionado

They must not go frequently enough for me to take notice. That is helpful, but what about people wanting to get from Future World all the way to the midpoint of World Show case? That is a huge walk and the boats don't help you in that case really. I guess once you are in the World's showcase, you are kind of stuck there until you want to leave the park unless you plan on hiking a mile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast