• Forgotten Spirit

Splash Mountain is the perfect example...

...Of how a ride should be cloned.
    I've never been to Magic Kingdom myself, but, I do visit Disneyland nearly every week.
    Through videos, I've noticed how almost every scene in the attraction is different, but still holds the same story.

Does anyone know if there was a reason behind doing this?

• All-American

Re: Splash Mountain is the perfect example...

Agree with you on the cloning. It brought similar attractions, with the benefits of saving development costs, to both coasts, but made the attraction experiences different enough that there was still appeal in seeing the other coast's version to see how it was different.

As for possible reasons, I can think of 2 -

Space. Look at Disneyland on Google Earth, and you'd be amazed at how tiny Splash Mountain's footprint is, compared to other flume/dark rides like Pirates or Small World. By contrast, WDW had (as they often do) the luxury of much more space to work with. This may have something to do with people's comments that the pace of the Disneyland ride feels faster than the WDW version.

Theme. Disneyland got the benefit of basically giving an entire land over to Splash Mountain, and considering the land in question is basically an extension of New Orleans Square, it allowed the attraction to stay perfectly true to Song of the South's southern theme. Not so with WDW, where the attraction had to be thematically shoehorned into Frontierland, taking up the space next to BTMRR. You'll notice a change in music for that reason - WDW's music is more rustic and western, with lots of banjo and harmonica, while Disneyland's is more orchestral and jazzy.

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Splash Mountain is the perfect example...

Another practical reason why the two attractions are very different is that Disneyland's Splash Mountain, which opened first, is populated primarily by Audio Animatronics that were cannibalized from America Sings. Because all of those animatronics were used up in the creation of the Disneyland version, brand new audio animatronics had to be created for the WDW version, many of which look very distinct from their DL counterparts.

Remember also that this attraction was developed/budgeted prior to 1994 when WDI had a lot more control over the budgets for the attractions they created w/o accountaneers breathing down their neck. Thus, WDI had a lot more freedom to take the time and funding necessary to differentiate these two attractions rather than being forced to create exact duplicates for purposes of "efficiency."
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney