Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why are WDW Resort's Beds so Hard?

When I went with my girlfriend last year to WDW, her number one complaint the entire trip was that the beds were hard as a rock, and she was having a hard time sleeping. And this was her number one reason for never wanting to stay in a WDW resort hotel again. We even changed rooms at both of the resorts we stayed at to try to find softer beds. Our only luck was finding more broken in beds. We were even informed over the phone that all of the WDW resorts use the same type of mattress (though some had smaller ones than others), and if we wanted to change resorts, we would be charged full rack rate, rather than the discount rate that we were getting. This really, really raised her anger levels since she had herniated a disc in her back a couple of years earlier.

So to try to keep this thread a little more upbeat, what resort has the softest beds? I've heard a lot about Swan & Dolphin. I'm considering camping out with her and maybe setting her up with tarp/hammock. What's the best option? Why would Disney cut corners on their beds to save money?

Now, to put this whole thing in perspective, we also stayed at the Disneyland Hotel the same year and it had a far softer bed, like the one in the brochure near the TV. But even this softer bed did not compare to the one at the Hyatt just down the road from the Disneyland Hotel that we stayed at for our final night before heading home. Why would all the WDW resorts use one bed, but the DL Hotel use a different one? I figured Disney would just buy all their beds in bulk to save money.

• Indiana Scott

Re: Why are WDW Resort's Beds so Hard?

My guess is so that they will last a lot longer.
    But, I have never found them to be all that bad - I'm able to get a good nights sleep.

• WDW will always be home.

I've personally never had a problem with WDW beds, but I guess I'm not really that sensitive to bed hardness. I have heard great things about the Swan and Dolphin beds, so I'd give those a try - they're not owned/operated by Disney so they're likely to be totally different beds.

WDW and DLR, though they share some efficiencies in terms of operation, actually have two separate resort management teams, so it's not too surprising that the resorts would use different types of mattresses. WDW and DLR both probably have enough beds to buy in bulk without needing to team up to do so.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Hukuna Matata!

I was going to say the disneyland resorts hotels are so nice how can wdw's be so nice.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

When we were there in January of this year, we thought the beds were comfortable. Never had a problem getting cozy and sleeping the whole night through. This was at All-Star Music, FWIW.

Mattresses are sooooo subjective. Can't please everybody. Many people prefer rock-hard mattresses. Not me!

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    When we were there in January of this year, we thought the beds were comfortable. Never had a problem getting cozy and sleeping the whole night through. This was at All-Star Music, FWIW.
    We usually stay at the All-Stars and the beds are very comfortable - but in February I stayed at Pop Century and I noticed that the beds were very hard - I didn't like them. I liked the resort but I'm going back to All-Stars next time.

• Iron-Clad Allie

These are hard times, and everything is effected (even Disney hotel rooms) -
    • hard mattresses
    • harder pillows
    • exasperating, hard to use room key
    • hard to get along with check-in clerks and bellhops
    • hard water deposits in shower, sink, and bathtub
    • hard to get tv channels
    • hard to work remote control
    • hard of hearing room service cms
    • hardened abc gum left stuck to night stand by previous guest
    • maid's hardened, half-eaten churro on floor next to trash can where she missed a shot
    • inflated, hard to pay hotel bill
    • - you name it
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-13-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add words
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm a travel agent, and I just did a travel agent trip to Walt Disney World last December. One of the big trends in the hotel/cruise industry is custom bedding. The Westin started it all about 5 or 6 years ago with their heavenly bed, and now every major hotel and cruise line has their own line of custom bedding (that you can usually buy and have in your own bedroom if you like it). The Swan & Dolphin are essentially Westin hotels so they do have the heavenly beds and they are awesome. Hyatt is my personal favorite. Anyway, Disney just got in in the act and they now have their own custom bedding as well (and again, you can buy one for yourself) but it takes time to replace all of the beds, so not all of the resorts may have them yet. I'm sure they started with the most expensive resorts first, so the all star resorts are probably last on the list to get the new beds. I stayed at the Boardwalk which did have the new beds and I thought that they were quite comfortable but not as soft as Westin or Hyatt. I imagine that they're either already on Disney Cruise Line or coming very soon. Anyone out there bought one of Disney's beds yet?

---------- Post added 08-13-2011 at 11:39 AM ----------

By the way, if you're normally an all star resort person, try the Coronado Springs next time you go. We took tours of most of the hotels and the Coronado Springs is often times reasonably priced (between $149 - $219/nt depending on the season) and it's a significant upgrade to the all stars. Better restaurants, an awesome pool, and it felt to me like we were in Adventureland the whole time.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    • hard mattresses
    • harder pillows
    • maid's hardened, half-eaten churro on floor next to trash can where she missed a shot
    • - you name it

It's hard not to like that list! ;-)

I stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter in June, and the bed was very comfy. Then again, it had been recently renovated. All my poor sleep was due to sharing with a snorer/thrasher.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    It's hard not to like that list! ;-).
    That was just my short list!

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter in June, and the bed was very comfy. Then again, it had been recently renovated. All my poor sleep was due to sharing with a snorer/thrasher.
    I embarased a snore thrasher once when I recorded them and had them listen to themselves when they woke up.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

All deluxe resorts have pillow tops now, not sure about the other resorts. I did stay at Saratoga recently and it was quite firm, actually made me get out of bed early because my back hurt so much.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    All deluxe resorts have pillow tops now, not sure about the other resorts. I did stay at Saratoga recently and it was quite firm, actually made me get out of bed early because my back hurt so much.
    That's where we stayed at for most of the trip. I expected better. But, of course, when I travel on business, I'm usually staying at places like the Hyatt and Embassy Suites. I guess I expected the same level of comfort from Saratoga Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    • hard mattresses
    • harder pillows
    • - you name it
    Nope - never experienced any of those - just the hard beds. Actually, I thought that the All-Stars already did the pillow top thing on some of their mattresses. I seem to remember hiking up the sheet once to see for myself - I wanted my bed at home to feel like that.

•   
    • Minion

The Port Orleans French Quarter beds were really nice stayed there this past Feb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast