• formerly very helpful

How about some Communicore?

Maybe I'm an old fashioned guy, but I really miss Communicore from Epcot. It may not have been as "flashy" as Innoventions is - or tries to be - but it had a slow-paced charm that I think was wonderful. My problem? Other than I can't travel through time to experience the extinct Disney attractions, that is. I have no photos of Communicore. I know there must be some Disney fantographers who have some pics of Communicore they can share. Thanks in advance.

• formerly very helpful

Re: How about some Communicore?

I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Communicore. Now I DO feel lonely.

• Marching along

I really enjoyed Communicore, though I only saw it once around 1988 or so.

Sorry I don't have any pics... just thought I'd let you know you're not alone!

• around for awhile

Google: widen your world communicore

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I loved Comunicore!

And check this out:

Communicore to Innoventions - Ultimate Tribute 1 of 2 on Vimeo

Communicore to Innoventions - Ultimate Tribute 2 of 2 on Vimeo

Spaceship Earth 86 and Communicore – Ultimate Tribute - Martin's Videos

Martin Smith makes the BEST Disney attraction tribute videos. He goes in depth about the history and everything.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Communicore. Now I DO feel lonely.
    I LOVED Communicore! But sadly, I have no pictures to share.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Metro-Retro Historian

Hey, I can make you feel better by saying lots of nice things about Communicore. It had a really nice open layout, not the ugly highway themed Labyrinth that Innoventions has become. It didn't punch you in the senses at every turn. It had those nice big windows that filled the space with natural light all day long. The plaza had those pretty palms and ponds that look amazing compared to the concrete wasteland that exists there now. (though the fiber-optic concrete is really cool) I spent a lot of time messing around with those touch screen games, especially the one where you had to pick 3 vehicles to get you across the city without running out of fuel.

I have some old video of the place. Maybe someday I'll get around to digitizing and posting it.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Captain EO forever

I posted some pictures of Communicore on my blog last month (these are all scanned from my "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center" book that I scanned.

I didn't visit Epcot until 1996 so I missed Communicore and all of it's unique exhibits =(

The Electronic Forum's News Center is where guests could stay up-to-date with news from around the world. I'm sure the phones at this station did a great job of spreading germs to thousands of people every day.

• WDW will always be home.

Ah, Communicore... This is the one EPCOT Center attraction from my early childhood that I have absolutely no memory of but really wish I did. Communicore definitely needed to be updated in the mid-'90s, but as with most Epcot revisions from that time period, those in charge made the mistake of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In fact, they threw the bathtub out too and replaced it with a spray bottle.

Perhaps the biggest mistake is that Disney felt the need to "modernize" the design/layout of the structure, and turned it into a dark and disorienting trade show. It was a decent refresh in the mid-'90s, but Innoventions is now hopelessly dated to that period, whereas current sensibilities have very much caught up to the open, bright, and simple layout the graced Communicore from 1982 until its regrettable close. It's a travesty that so much of WDW (*cough* obnoxious purple entrance gates *cough*) is still stuck in the aesthetic mire of Eisner's concept of "entertainment architecture" from the mid-'90s but I digress...

Innoventions in its current state is less relevant and less futuristic than Communicore ever was.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

I agree with each of these sentiments. Disney really messed up, IMHO, when it came to "reinvigorating" these attractions. Communicore was just such a fun place to be. I felt like it was much more of an attraction than Innoventions. I always feel like I am wasting time there.

And it's really nice to see SMRT-1 again.

• Tomorrow's Child

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I loved Comunicore!

And check this out:

Communicore to Innoventions - Ultimate Tribute 1 of 2 on Vimeo

Communicore to Innoventions - Ultimate Tribute 2 of 2 on Vimeo

Spaceship Earth 86 and Communicore Ultimate Tribute - Martin's Videos

Martin Smith makes the BEST Disney attraction tribute videos. He goes in depth about the history and everything.
    Thanks for the link - those were incredible!

I loved Commuicore too. Innoventions can't hold a candle to it - just another one of those late '90's/turn of the century failures.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

Thanks, Hathaway!

• Epcot's my fave park!

innoventions music is lovely!
    Epcot rocks! I luv Capt Jack Sparrow, alongside Will & Elizabeth!
    twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
    myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
    Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
    youtube.com/svhwdwnut