Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I see in Muppet Vision

Art of Animation Resort

Today on the Disney Parks blog they revealed what the Family Suites in the art of animation building look like. They look pretty cool to me.

First Look: Family Suites at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort « Disney Parks Blog

Finding Nemo, LionKing and Cars wings will all have family suites, While the Little Mermaid wing will be regular hotel rooms.
    Attachment 12641
    Name:  nemo.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  246.1 KB
    Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  235.5 KB
    Name:  carshotel.jpg
Size:  239.2 KB
    Name:  lionking.jpg
Size:  192.9 KB
    Name:  mermaid.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  187.5 KB

• Program

Re: Art of Animation Resort

I was trying to find the regular Mermaid rooms in the booking system and couldn't find any for any time next year...

Didn't have any problems finding the family rooms though

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by mess98 View Post
    I was trying to find the regular Mermaid rooms in the booking system and couldn't find any for any time next year...

Didn't have any problems finding the family rooms though
    hmmm interesting i looked after you mentioned it and i also didn't see it. At first I thought maybe they would be finished later than the rest of the resort. But isn't the mermaid section going into the part of the resort that was basically pre-existing?

Perhaps they are trying to market the family suites because they can get more money for them. They know that they will be able to fill the generic hotels rooms but want to try and fill the more expensive ones first.

The rooms look really good save for the carpet, which makes me feel dizzy looking at it. And the comforters look rather cheap looking.

Of course, I love the Lion King bed since that's my fav Disney movie growing up. I can't wait to see it again in the theatre.
    Last edited by thedude76; 08-16-2011 at 10:45 PM.

• WDW will always be home.

So am I the only one who thinks this looks really cheap and tacky? I know I'm at WDW; I don't need to be hit over the head with it when I walk into my hotel room. I realize that's the concept of this resort, but IMHO the entire concept is of very questionable taste...
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    So am I the only one who thinks this looks really cheap and tacky? I know I'm at WDW; I don't need to be hit over the head with it when I walk into my hotel room. I realize that's the concept of this resort, but IMHO the entire concept is of very questionable taste...
    the lion king one leaves something to be desired and i'm not a fan of the cars one much at all, but the sea-themed ones are neat. I like the various theming of the resorts but at the same time the rooms usually look so drab anyways and usually not as nice as paying less at a marriot or something so these colorful rooms are worth the attempt with me.

And yet as a kid growing up with the Disneyland Hotel, it wasn't a "themed" hotel it was just disneyland's hotel and the building lobbies all played movie soundtracks and I thought it completely enhanced the magic of being on a trip to Disney, since no other place is allowed to play those songs, or play the old cartoons in the lobby, or gave free Disney channel back when it was premium. There's something to be said about "hitting you over the head with it" when it's pure atmosphere and not necessarily overt advertising(best kept disney secret!!)

Of course it's cheap and tacky. That's the Disney Recession Way Look carefully at those pictures. Get the feeling that you're in IKEA with a Disney theme?

But this has been done before. The rooms at the Caribbean Beach Resort, where I have had the unfortunate opportunity to stay for one night, are equally hideous. They hit you over the head with a really, really ugly theme, awful beds, and horrible comforters that must immediately go onto the floor.

There is a reason why I'm thinking of sleeping in my own sleeping bag in my own tent the next time I go.

• I see in Muppet Vision

You have to remember that this is a "Value" resort. So it is not going to be on the same standards as your room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge or Polynesian...

I agree that it looks tacky. However most of the value resorts have this tacky Ikea-esque look.

I believe that as the first year goes by the rooms will stay nice but then they will begin to decline fast as most of the modern elements in a years time will no longer be considered modern.

As for the Cars rooms those happen to be my favorite of all the rooms. They are almost a modern 70's look to them. However that tan orange color is quite hideous and i do not see it aging well.

I really think a lot of the elements are this modern look because they want to convey the look of being in a cartoon.

The Nickelodeon hotel called, they want their look back.

I think I'll stick to the All Stars, they look much better IMO.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    You have to remember that this is a "Value" resort. So it is not going to be on the same standards as your room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge or Polynesian...
    I'm very aware of that, but even the existing Value resorts have much more tasteful interiors (despite their hideous exteriors).

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    I really think a lot of the elements are this modern look because they want to convey the look of being in a cartoon.
    I think you may be right which is why I question the taste of the entire resort concept. There's a way to evoke the themes of animation without making it cartoony, being tacky, or hitting you over the head with it. The Nemo rooms at Caribbean Beach come to mind as a much more tasteful approach. I'm not sure if it's the direction they're getting from the top or the current crop of Imagineers (I'm inclined to lean towards the former) but this appears to be just one more example of how, over the last decade, WDI has really regressed in terms of the subtlety and sophistication they've always been world-renowned for. That, IMHO, is truly sad.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Tomorrow's Child

Not just you.

First word that popped into my head when I saw the pictures was "vile". Paris' Santa Fe looks better than this - and that's saying a lot.

I appreciate that its a Value resort and the rates they charge are lower so you wouldn't expect Deluxe resort theme but honestly WDI - less is more!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

I still can't believe the price tag for this hotel. The family suites are gonna cost somewhere over $300 a night and they're classifying this as a Value Resort. That is insane. I said it before you can get a standard deluxe room for a helluva lot cheaper than that.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I still can't believe the price tag for this hotel. The family suites are gonna cost somewhere over $300 a night and they're classifying this as a Value Resort. That is insane. I said it before you can get a standard deluxe room for a helluva lot cheaper than that.
    But you can't fit 6 people and you only have 1 bathroom. While the price is a little high, (and the decor is undeniably tacky), I do think it's a smart move to make a predominately family suite hotel. And I'm glad they are using the Legendary Years buildings finally, though I wish they would have kept the full century at Pop.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

I do like the carpets in the Nemo and Mermaid rooms.

• Tomorrow's Child

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    But you can't fit 6 people and you only have 1 bathroom. While the price is a little high, (and the decor is undeniably tacky), I do think it's a smart move to make a predominately family suite hotel.
    Well when you put it like that, it does make a great deal of sense. It will make an attractive option for a lot of guests - especially those large family groups. Which in its own right is a fantastic addition to the offerings at any resort.

Perhaps what I'm guilty of is a little fan-snobbery. Not that its a value resort (I must to emphasise that point), but that we as the most ardent of fans expect a higher level of detail no matter what end of the cost spectrum. Granted I'm sure the cost they are charging effectively sets the level of presentation in the rooms, but just because the rooms are "cheap" do they need to therefore decorate them accordingly.

I'm sure that there will be guests who will love these rooms no matter what, and there are those who will just accept them for what they are, but personally I expect better regardless of if they charge $300 or $1,000 per night.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast