Flags - Who do I ask?

Hello all,

I am a Reservist in the Navy. I have the flag off my ship from Desert Storm when I was active. This flag will be part of my retirement case.

About 7 years ago I started a project where I have flown my flag around the country at various historic sites, ships and monuments. Some of the special places (at least to me) are -

USS Arizona on Dec 7th
    USS Utah on Dec 7th
    Fort McHenry on the days of the bombing (the writing of the National Anthem)
    Iwo Jima Park of the 50th anniversary of the landing (from the SEAL landing to the raising of the flag)

I was going through the Hidden magic and it mentioned the flag ceremony. I was curious is there anyone I could contact to have my flag flown one of the days I am there?

Thanks,
    Jim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Flags - Who do I ask?

Probably Guest Relations at City Hall.

How large is the flag? Is it a garrison flag? The flags at the park I believe are standard size...if you have a garrison flag I'd definitely would love to see that flying at the park, though it might drawf everything around it...

Thanks for serving, and I hope to see your dream fulfilled...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Mouseketeer since 1994

Any Guest Relations place maybe? I have never needed to ask a question at Disney World at GR but they might be able to help you out. And it's also important to know what size the flag is, because if it's really big then there might be difficulties raising it up to fly, so you might want to measure the flag before asking GR.
    I'm Silver. And I've been a Mouseketeer since 1994!

• Theme Park Paradise

Sent you a message

Got it.

Thanks folks. I have to measure the flag but I believe it is a 4 x 6. "Steaming" flags are normally larger than a standard (3 x 5) but (luckily) smaller than a garrison.

It would be a great addition to the list for my flag. While many of the places it has flown are historically meaningful they don't have to be. Besides this is an American flag and Disney is about as American as you can get

It has flown at 40 different sites and I have many more to go but this, if it can happen, will be a wonderful addition.

Jim

A bit of trivia: How many US flags are flying on Main Street USA at WDW?

Answer: Just One. The flag on the flag pole is real with 13 bars and 50 stars. The little flags on the top of the buildings all have something wrong with them (missing bars, too many stars, etc.) They are therefore banners and not flags. An American flag must either be taken down at night or be properly illuminated. Since the banners on the buildings are neither taken down or illuminated, it was easier to make them look like American flags from the street rather than have actual flags fly up there. Or at least that is the way it was back in the 80's....