Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• WDW will always be home.

Re: There are plans to fix the yeti on Expedition Everest!!

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    WHAT!? You can't be serious....

So because the Yeti isn't perfect, you want to shut down all of Expedition Everest for nearly TWO YEARS???? That is absolutely ridiculous.

You would be depriving well over FIFTEEN MILLION people of one of the greatest attractions in Disney World, to fix an audio animatronic you see for 4 seconds.

That's ridiculous. Unfathomable.
    You say ridiculous and unfathomable for a long down-time to fix it. I say "ridiculous and unfathomable" to leave the climax of the ride broken for years.

Look, I don't know how long it would take to restore it to its original state. I am assuming a really long time. And yes I am completely serious. The park operated for several years with no Everest. For all the years we've been arguing about this, it could have been fixed three times over already. Add more e-ticket attractions first? Fine. But do it already. Both of these things should have been done already, and we could all have moved on and not even be having this discussion. If it's a one or two year fix, I'd rather see that time happen EARLY in the attraction's forty to fifty year life span (just taking a guess here) than later. I'd like to comment on what "partial fix" is being planned here but since we have no idea what it is exactly, I won't, and will stick to my advocacy for a return to original function.

Clearly there are two camps here: Camp "A" The original yeti was spectacular enough that a long and costly repair is justified; and Camp "B" the orignal yeti NOT worth the time it would take to restore. I am camp A, you are camp B, and we are never going to agree!
    I have to agree with Lily here. DAK was open for 8 years before EE. Was DAK totally worthless as a park for that time? Some attraction closures are necessary - TDO is scared to death of them but the alternative is that your attractions are all falling apart and none of the effects work... Like every E ticket in DAK.

Ideally, TDO will greatly expand DAK's attraction roster, then close EE and replace the Yeti with a fully functional one. But they should've done that yesterday. Closing EE without any new attractions would have serious consequences for DAK's capacity, but it's better than nothing. And a couple years is a small price to pay for what will hopefully be decades of operating at full functionality. It's true, some people taking their once-in-a-lifetime vacation would miss out on EE entirely, but that's the way it goes with all attraction closures. If someone visited WDW in the summer of 2007, they missed out on HM, arguably a more important attraction than EE. Does that mean the 2007 HM refurb was "ridiculous" and "unfathomable?"

In either case, I think it would be appreciated if everyone could refrain from ad hominem and hyperbole when discussing this issue further.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I know... it would be worth it in the long run. The Yeti is amazing when it works as it should. They could make additions to a ride that in many ways no longer work as it should. The Yeti is just one of the problems.
    Itīs all a waste. Now itīs just an average coaster in a nice package. The Yeti is a symbol of what is going on in Disney today.
    I just wanted to point out that this is a symbol of what is going on in Walt Disney World today. Here in California Disneyland is chugging along with lots of attention being paid to it and it shows (and not just the fixes for DCA). I visited WDW a few years back and the quality and upkeep was sub-par to Disneyland. It's too bad, really, becuase WDW could be absolutely incredible.

Is this a case of the Imagineers who worked on this ride being short sighted? Why would you install an animatronic that can only be repaired by ripping apart the ride? Aren't imagineers (and engineers in general) supposed to come up with solutions to problems that MAY OR MAY NOT arise. It seems to me they just installed this guy without making him easily repairable WITHOUT having to rip a whole into the side of the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    I can't agree with this. The yeti is not just another animatronic like a pirate sitting on a bridge, or one of the chickens on the boat at the end of splash. It was an incredible thrill: this giant monster, towering over you, nearly grabbing you right out of the train (or so it seemed)... It was fundamentally unique to this coaster, a crowning glory of thrills unlike no other,

Personally I think it should be fully restored, in spite of taking an extraordinary amount of time and money to do it.

---------- Post added 08-22-2011 at 08:38 AM ----------

I've seen this argument before and I just don't buy it. This is an attraction that will presumably be operating for decades to come. It ought to be running as it was intended, with it's spectacular finale, five years from now, ten, twenty, and so-on. Yes, it will be absolutely crappy for the people who come when it's down for, say, twenty months in the years 2???, but there's no un-doing of the mistake/structural flaw, other than to put in the time and money needed to fix it properly. Then it can be fully enjoyed by all, in all it's glory, forever more.

I know it's disappointing to have it shut down for months, but the real disappointment is that it wasn't built properly in the first place
    I have to agree that the Yeti is a key part of the show, the thrill, in this attraction and needs a fix. It's been broken for far too long. When I was at WDW in March, my enjoyment of the ride was greatly diminished by its current state. The way the strobing was done, I couldn't even see that it was a Yeti. All I could see was a blurry bit of hair swinging. It looked like Spanish Moss hanging down inside the cavern.

However, I have to say something. The problem with the Yeti was NOT that it wasn't engineered or built properly or there was a structural flaw or it was built on the cheap. I don't want to reveal the identity of the person who told me, but, suffice it to say that it was someone who would definitely know. You'll have to trust me on that. What I (and other people who were with me) was told was that the Yeti animatronic was pushed beyond what it was engineered to do. If you push any mechanical thing beyond what it was engineered for, it will eventually fail. Then, on top of not being properly operated, it was also not properly maintained. The combination of those two factors over time caused the problem to get serious enough with the eventual structural breakdown, so that it is now not an easy fix without major work, as we all have heard. I just want to clear up the misconceptions about the cause of the problem so that everyone has the real story.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The ridiculousness of what people say it will take to fix the Yeti just continues to grow.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by stitch1085 View Post
    Is this a case of the Imagineers who worked on this ride being short sighted? Why would you install an animatronic that can only be repaired by ripping apart the ride? Aren't imagineers (and engineers in general) supposed to come up with solutions to problems that MAY OR MAY NOT arise. It seems to me they just installed this guy without making him easily repairable WITHOUT having to rip a whole into the side of the mountain.
    No. Of course the Yeti can be worked on without ripping apart the mountain. The "received wisdom" (I'm not sure if this has ever been tied back to a concrete source) is that structure the Yeti is attached would have to be replaced because it is unable to handle the force of the Yeti in full motion. The issue isn't that the Yeti is broken; the Yeti is turned off because the force generated by a fully active Yeti is in danger of causing the Yeti's support structure to literally break apart.

I'm not making excuses - I personally think they should do whatever is necessary to fix things. But the issue isn't that they can't work on the Yeti without disassembling the mountain, it's that they have to replace the entire support structure in order to support full A mode, and that would require disassembling the mountain (again, if one believes the conventional wisdom that's circulated around the message boards).
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    No. Of course the Yeti can be worked on without ripping apart the mountain. The "received wisdom" (I'm not sure if this has ever been tied back to a concrete source) is that structure the Yeti is attached would have to be replaced because it is unable to handle the force of the Yeti in full motion. The issue isn't that the Yeti is broken; the Yeti is turned off because the force generated by a fully active Yeti is in danger of causing the Yeti's support structure to literally break apart.

I'm not making excuses - I personally think they should do whatever is necessary to fix things. But the issue isn't that they can't work on the Yeti without disassembling the mountain, it's that they have to replace the entire support structure in order to support full A mode, and that would require disassembling the mountain (again, if one believes the conventional wisdom that's circulated around the message boards).
    For what it is worth, Lee says the story of structural issues is not true. He cites issues with a specific part, that has caused bigger issues, within the animatronic itself as the culprit. Fighting over which part of the company will pay for the fixes has also been a continued source of contention that has stalled movement.

To me this story sounds the most logical, especially with the way that the "requirements" for fixing the issues continue to grow when they are based around the other stories such as the foundation, structural support system or even the Yeti itself being a single unit that cannot be taken apart.

Yeah, I'm up in Washington State--furthest you could be stateside from WDW.

I was soooo excited to get back down to WDW to ride the new Everest ride that had been open for a few years and was new to me. I wanted to see this awesome Yeti.
    When I finally rode the ride, I never noticed the Yeti other than the shadow they project of him ripping the track up. I chalked it up to maybe I missed it.
    Then I rode it again later that day, and saw the face of the AA Yeti, but you go by so fast I couldn't really see it. I thought this ride kind of sucks. Not too thrilling, and kind of stupid. Give me Big Thunder, Matterhorn, or even Splash over this.

It wasn't until a few months after that trip that I read that it hasn't worked in years. I'm a HUGE Disney fan and am willing to forgive these little things, but what if you weren't up on all things Disney. I think most people would be tremendously disappointed with that ride. Please get it fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post

This has also been my understanding, as well.
    The issue is structural, not the Yeti animatronic.

WDW now shutters major attractions for extended "rehabs" -- even during peak times of the year -- which is something they never should have started doing. Many attractions and dining venues never open at all anymore. Many others open late and/or close early.

The bottom line is that WDW/Disney just doesn't want to spend the money.
    Period.
    One need look no further than the broken attraction elements and deferred maintenance scattered all over the property to discern what's going on.

No problems building DVC properties, though.
    I'm more than disgusted.

FYI, as a local, I rode EE numerous times right after it first opened.
    The Yeti has always been a hit-or-miss problem element since day one; It didn't just "break" one day.
    I don't think I've ridden EE, with the Yeti actually working, more than one time.
    That's not acceptable.

• Banned User

My first trip to WDW was in 2007, and I guess we were lucky, because the Yeti worked perfectly. He was, indeed, awesome. I'll never forget his roar and his vicious swipe at our coaster. I would love to see him back in full force, but it looks like that will never happen.

Disney pushed the boundaries of AAs when they created the Yeti, and I give them a lot of credit for creating something great, even if it couldn't last. I don't expect them to tear up the mountain in order to bring the beast back to its former glory, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt now. I believe they will give us an animatronic yeti again, even if he doesn't move as forcefully as before. Clearly, the engineering problems are difficult, so let's be patient. The beast will return to his lair!

• Sasquatch

I rode EE in 2007 as well with the full-functioning yeti and it was great. I rode it twice this past February with disco yeti and while it was still a great roller coaster, I basically missed the yeti appearance the first time I was on it. For all the hype in the queue and the theming of the ride revolving around the yeti, it was a little sad that he is so easy to miss when he used to be so noticeable.

With all the engineering complications it's understandable if they wait for some other component of the ride to break to have a bigger reason to shut it down, but would be great to see him back again.

• Coming soon...

I saw the Yeti in 2006 as a moving AA and in 2009 as a static disco-yeti. I'm perfectly happy for them to have a static yeti, but if you've made something that impressive and big, they could at least light it in nice atmospheric colours from the front so we can actually see it. I think that bothers me more than the non-moving part of it.

• Program

Quote Originally Posted by quatchi View Post
    I rode EE in 2007 as well with the full-functioning yeti and it was great. I rode it twice this past February with disco yeti and while it was still a great roller coaster, I basically missed the yeti appearance the first time I was on it. For all the hype in the queue and the theming of the ride revolving around the yeti, it was a little sad that he is so easy to miss when he used to be so noticeable.

With all the engineering complications it's understandable if they wait for some other component of the ride to break to have a bigger reason to shut it down, but would be great to see him back again.
    The Yeti doesn't work because it's too busy hiding in your avatar!

I have some friends that work in maintenance in Everest. The actual problem is with the Yeti's movable base, it is basically like a sled, that gets pushed out with an actuator from his back. It is this movable sled that has stress cracks, not the foundation of the mountain or anything structural like that. They have made adjustments and try other fixes but it didn't help. The latest plan is just have the Yeti fixed in place and still have some limited functions.

• In a Disney World Daze...

Wish they would actually give us some sort of reason of why the Yeti isnt fixed, or cant be fixed, rather than all this speculation and everyones inside information.

If it isnt the foundation that would require a major shutdown of the attraction I guess I dont understand why they dont take out the figure itself and close it for a week and replace it with a non animatronic figure intact with the A100 Strobe shining on it they could rework the figure and replace it with minimal downtime

Logic tells me that if it was that simple it would have happened already...This kinda tells me to belive the structural integrity rumor...

Never seen the true Yeti in motion....but they sure like to show us how it is supposed to move when they advertise the attraction....
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast