Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: There are plans to fix the yeti on Expedition Everest!!

I used to be a cast member at EE, and trust me when I say...this is no simple fix. While it kills me to see the Yeti in such a dissaray (trust me...it took more of a toll on someone who had to see it EVERY day, and hear about it EVERY day from guests), there is absolutely no reason to take the ride down for extended period of time right now. It is one of the best attractions in Walt Disney World (cause let's face it...Disneyland will always kick WDW's behind) and one of two anchors in DAK. Courtesy comes before show, and its most definitely not in the best interest of the MAJORITY of the guests to take down the attraction at this point and time.

All of you whining and moaning about the Yeti being a symbolism of what's going on with Disney today...I totally agree with you...but only at WDW. Disneyland is still looking great, and Cars Land is going to be a-mazing. I know it sucks to see one of WDW's most beloved attractions being taken down a notch, but until DAK gets some more E-Tickets it can not afford to close EE.

As for those saying DAK is not worth it sans EE and this and that need to realize why some of us LOVE DAK...It's a Walt park. It's completey immersive and well themed (minus Chester and Hester). There's so much attention to detail and intricacy woven into DAK. The only reason I will be going to FL in October for vacation is to see friends and see the new HM stuff. If I had to choose between based on nothing but parks, I would go to Disneyland (even though I just went in July) cause it will always exceed WDW for me personally.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    This is obnoxious and selfish.

So because the Yeti isn't absolutely perfect (which you see for a total of 4 or so seconds), we must shut the ride down and disappoint thousands, if not millions of riders for what (even without a fully functioning Yeti) is widely considered the best ride in Walt Disney World?

Get off your high horse.

This isn't a simple, 1-day fix. The Yeti will take weeks, possibly months to fully correct. I think it's in the park's best interest to keep the ride open until they can find a good way to restore the Yeti AND do it quickly. Until then, wait it out and go disappointed for 4 seconds of the ride.
    Normally I'd agree if it was only the Yeti that was broken, but half of the effects aren't working on the ride. This ride needs to close as soon as a plan can be implemented, then they need to do some major work to restore the broken effects (or replace the ones that didn't work, because they cut the budget in the construction process), and do a lot of other things to the ride. To heck with any guests who are disappointed... it's Disney's own fault that guests would be disappointed if you close Everest because they built the park with NOT ENOUGH TO DO!!!!
    -Bill

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwingsson View Post
    there is absolutely no reason to take the ride down for extended period of time right now

Yes there is. Because it's broken.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwingsson View Post
    cause let's face it...Disneyland will always kick WDW's behind
    A bit off-topic, but no, that's not true at all. The "Disneyland is so much better than WDW" phenomenon is relatively recent, and dates back only to Matt Ouimet's tenure as DL president beginning in 2003. Prior to that time, the only things DL had on WDW were the Indiana Jones Adventure, the Matterhorn, and the superior version of PotC. Both properties began to decline around the same time (1994) and the only reason DL is better now is because it's getting love from the executives whereas WDW has continued to decline. For a good chunk of WDW's lifespan (1971-1994 give or take) it was much more up to date, exciting, and had a lot more to do than DL; and both properties were equally meticulously maintained. There's no reason this can't happen again. The only reason it's not happening now is because the current executives - both locally (TDO) and at corporate (Iger, Staggs, Lasseter) - don't seem to give a crap about WDW.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Just good enough

I rode EE for the first time in 2009 and I thought it was an amazing attraction, without the Yeti working properly. Being that it was my first time, I had no idea the Yeti was broken to begin with but it still remains one of my favorite rides at WDW. The intensity building up in the queue, the climb up the mountain, the broken track and going backwards! It's an awesome experience! I loved every part of it. I only assume that I would enjoy it EVEN MORE with a working Yeti.

As far as time-frame to fix this, well obviously that depends on the extent of the work needed and the ability for Disney to pay for it and authorize the work. I can't imagine it taking 2 years as someone suggested when they are planning to build Carlsand itself in what, 3 years? My best guess is probably somewhere in the 4-6 month range if done promptly and efficiently with no delays.

Matterhorn is getting a facelift for that length of time in early 2012 to put in new sleds and upgrades, why is it so hard to believe that this can't be done over a short period of time? I understand they need to tear apart the mountain if it in fact is a structural issue, but they're not rebuilding an entire ride, are they?

I still think it's an awesome ride without the Yeti working, but I can't imagine how much more awesome it would be with the AA working properly.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• Minion

I know it sucks to see one of WDW's most beloved attractions being taken down a notch, but until DAK gets some more E-Tickets it can not afford to close EE.

As for those saying DAK is not worth it sans EE and this and that need to realize why some of us LOVE DAK...It's a Walt park. It's completey immersive and well themed (minus Chester and Hester). There's so much attention to detail and intricacy woven into DAK.
    These seem like contradictory statements to me. Can you elaborate?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I think it is awful that the Yeti hasn't been working for this long. I do want it fixed. That said, I think it would be pretty crummy to have the attraction shut down for two whole years - people have been planning their vacations and will probably be more disappointed that the ride is closed for a long time as opposed to the Yeti not working or with a different fix that doesn't bring him back to his original glory but is something better than what is there now.

WDW management, overall, needs to step up their game.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234