Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Test Track Vehicle

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a new Test Track vehicle. Pictures by Shawn Howard, a Twitter user who was able to snap a couple photos, can be found at my site, interactiveWDW.com. Story is on the front page.

They look really cool, and apparently, a sponsorship is in the works! Feel free to comment! Thanks to Shawn Howard for breaking the news and taking the pics!

• In a Disney World Daze...

Re: New Test Track Vehicle

I hope they refurb it and make it more interesting before the thrill part. Everything about this ride is a pass for me. Always has the longest queue in epcot (next to sorin and still dont desire to ride that yet) and the first half of the ride is what we can do in a car.....Needs some sort of excitement before the thrill to make me wait 50+ minutes when the park is dead...

I seem to be alone in the fact that I dont like this ride at all and wish for world of motion to come back....

Shrug The takeoff is cool once it gets going fast!
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

Quote Originally Posted by DWD Imagineer View Post
    I hope they refurb it and make it more interesting before the thrill part. Everything about this ride is a pass for me. Always has the longest queue in epcot (next to sorin and still dont desire to ride that yet) and the first half of the ride is what we can do in a car.....Needs some sort of excitement before the thrill to make me wait 50+ minutes when the park is dead...

I seem to be alone in the fact that I dont like this ride at all and wish for world of motion to come back....

Shrug The takeoff is cool once it gets going fast!
    Definitely are not alone in wishing World of Motion was back. I guess the club is up to 2 members! I find myself being more of a (in my mind) Disney Traditionalist (wishing it would go back to the way it was when I was a child....in the 90s)! I miss my Epcot the way it used to be when it actually was futuristic and every ride was educational. I miss the old Living Seas (not being themed to a Disney movie) and learning something, as well as the Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons, etc....that's another topic for another day!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

So, looking at the pics of the new vehicles, what's new about 'em?

• In a Disney World Daze...

Quote Originally Posted by interactiveWDW View Post
    Definitely are not alone in wishing World of Motion was back. I guess the club is up to 2 members! I find myself being more of a (in my mind) Disney Traditionalist (wishing it would go back to the way it was when I was a child....in the 90s)! I miss my Epcot the way it used to be when it actually was futuristic and every ride was educational. I miss the old Living Seas (not being themed to a Disney movie) and learning something, as well as the Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons, etc....that's another topic for another day!
    Hearing things like "welcome to seabase alpha"

and "Its fun to be free"

"veggie fruit fruit"

"and what about science"?

Yea I remember feeling sad when they tore down world of motion...watched it happen, or at least a stage of it, and thought YEA Disney is going to make something better...only to find out I could do the same in a convertable car made me mad...

Im all for plussing attractions but I think test track needs to be redone completely....They did it to better attractions...and this one is getting a better car? To do what?
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    So, looking at the pics of the new vehicles, what's new about 'em?
    New design, new screens in them, etc.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Evidently, Test Track is going down for a 4 month refurb in January. The hope is that they are going to try to make the ride more futuristic and less like the cold, empty, sterile, lifeless, test facility it is now. I don't know how much of that can be accomplished in 4 months, so I'm not going to hold my breath. The new cars do look nice though. I hope they come in a variety of colors.

I've seen comparisons made between the vehicle pictured and the Chevy Volt. I hope the plan isn't just to replace all the vehicles with ones representing different GM models. While that is still better than the ugly crash test cars, it would put a nail in the coffin in any hopes that the ride would become futuristic.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by interactiveWDW View Post
    ...apparently, a sponsorship is in the works!
    It'd be more accurate to say, apparently the GM sponsorship will continue (as they're already the current sponsor)

Quote Originally Posted by DWD Imagineer View Post
    No. Not at all. Not even remotely the case. WoM is up there with Horizons, Toad, 2KL, and If You Had Wings as one of the most beloved extinct WDW attractions of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Evidently, Test Track is going down for a 4 month refurb in January. The hope is that they are going to try to make the ride more futuristic and less like the cold, empty, sterile, lifeless, test facility it is now.
    Last I heard this was just rumor. Has there been any evidence unearthed? Either way, I really, really hope this happens. Even if it's not the refurb we're all hoping for, I seriously doubt they could make Test Track worse.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-30-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• When Will It Return?

GM rarely improves anything it touches. Where's Toyota who actually manufactures cars in the USA unlike GM?

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    WoM is up there with Horizons, Toad, 2KL, and If You Had Wings as one of the most beloved extinct WDW attractions of all time.
    While this may be true for you, it is not for me, and I'm guessing for most folks. Look, I enjoyed this attraction when it was open, but it was by no means one of my favorites. And it always had the shortest line in Futureworld, which spoke for its lack of popularity. I was more upset about the concept of losing a big, multi-AA attraction than I was about the attraction itself.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Name:  test-track2.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  test-track1.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  41.0 KB
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While this may be true for you, it is not for me, and I'm guessing for most folks.
    Well, my point wasn't how much I miss it, my point was that if you take a look at sites devoted to WDW, this is always one of the now-extinct attractions that is the most fondly remembered/lamented. Obviously not everyone will feel the same way - as I'm sure is also the case for Horizons, Toad, 2KL, and If You Had Wings as well - but it's undeniable that most WDW geeks really miss vintage EPCOT Center, particularly Horizons, WoM, and (the one I forgot to mention before) Journey Into Imagination.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Program

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    GM rarely improves anything it touches. Where's Toyota who actually manufactures cars in the USA unlike GM?
    GM produces a lot of models (including Camaro) just outside of Toronto... so that kind of almost is the USA?
    Kind of?

But about the new cars, fantastic. They don't look ugly and from the 80s anymore!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

A lot of people seem to not like this ride on hear, and this makes me worry a bit about Radiator Springs Racers. I have not ridden Test Track, so for those of you that did do you think adding a story overlay would help the ride be more interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    A lot of people seem to not like this ride on hear, and this makes me worry a bit about Radiator Springs Racers. I have not ridden Test Track, so for those of you that did do you think adding a story overlay would help the ride be more interesting?
    Speaking for myself, my biggest problem with Test Track isn't the ride system/technology so much as it is the fact that it doesn't fit/belong in Future World at all. There's nothing remotely futuristic or even progressive/forward-thinking/optimistic about this attraction at all. It's just a fake "demonstration" of automobile testing ca. mid-'90s. Beyond that, it fails as a thrill ride. The only "thrilling" part of the attraction is the high speed loop which is no different from driving down the highway in a convertible. It's a fun experience, but after doing it once or twice it's kind of mundane. The fact that Test Track got rid of World of Motion, tends to break down a lot, is poorly maintained, and for inscrutable reasons always tends to have a long line also doesn't help it win any popularity contests.

All that said, this ride system does not have to result in a totally lame ride. Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo DisneySea is also based on Test Track technology, and may be the highlight of that park. If you know anything about TDS, that's saying a heck of a lot. JttCotE succeeds artistically because it benefits from a compelling, engaging, and totally immersive design complete with quality AAs. JttCotE succeeds as a thrill ride because it has a much more exciting track. As someone who's experienced both Test Track and JttCotE, I'm cautiously optimistic about RSR.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast