Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro WDW....

• In a Disney World Daze...

Retro WDW....

So I was cleaning the spare room today and found a nice stack of really old pictures. Some pictures Epcot wasnt built yet. Most were the first years Epcot was built. And a few, not many, as I was older and AK wasnt built yet.... Thought I would scan one here and there and share. They are not the best quiality. Infact many of the pcitures were taken by myself and I didnt remember taking them, but one of the pictures shows me taking a picture of my dad taking a picture...I just have his side of it and the camera I am using is none other than one of those really old outdated DISC cameras ...so you cant expect much from them...but they do show some history, and some I never knew I expereienced ...so here is the first, many to come..Feel free to scan your own an add to the experience of the nostalgia!!

Name:  epcot 15th.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  151.9 KB

15th aniversary of Epcot...at least I think it was. Not totaly sure. I am more thinking it was the 15th anniversary of WDW but again I am not sure. After doing a google search It is indeed the 15 year anniverasary of WDW not epcot. I thought the picture looked more dated than Epcots 15 year

So I have many more, and the quality is only about to go down...but the fun is sitll there with the nostalgia!! Speaking of, no monoliths! (or grave stones)...

*EDIT*
    I know double posting is a big huge NONO...so I just wanted to ask the question and add to my new thread.....I just thought I would scan a pictue every day or every other day or even once a week or some sort of combo. Is it Okay if I keep adding a pic every now and then to this thead and not be in trouble? and if it it isn the same day it would obviously be in the same post .....understood
    Last edited by DWD Imagineer; 09-09-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: adding a question to moderators
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Retro WDW....

Very cool. " I have some old pics lying around, I think I'll dig them up for this thread.

Fantasyland Expansion ?
    Name:  FLexpansion.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  111.3 KB
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

• <3

Awesome! Can't wait to see other pictures you have!

I wasnt kidding about the Kodak Disc camera lol. And look Its Canada! I really wish I had kept all my Disney clothing I have bought during the years. Whatever the heck it is I am wearing was a doozy

Name:  CanadaDisc.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  128.7 KB

The castle in the 80s. Did they remove those trees? I dont remember them being so obstructive?

Name:  80sCastle.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  168.2 KB
    Last edited by DWD Imagineer; 09-11-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Adding a 2nd picture

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That photo of the 15th anniversary is actually for the Magic Kingdom. I recognize that logo. I was there during the 15th in 1987 (the celebration started in 1986). EPCOT Center itself was only 5 years old. And that photo SCREAMS late 80s to me. But that's definitely the logo for MK's 15th. My dad bought a license plate for the front of our motorhome that had that logo on it (and that plate stayed there until we sold the motorhome in the early 90s.. the plate is now mine).

And OMG Disc camera! My grandma had one of those! She loved that thing for some reason.

Oh yeah and yeah those trees in front of the castle have been long gone for years. Too bad. I miss them. They provided some nice shade in the hub area.

Great pictures! I was there for the 15th anniversary celebration, too. Good memories.
    Steve Burns
    Burnsland.com - Disney Railroads and more! Home of the Disney Railroads Discussion Board.
    Burnsland Blog - Pictures and new stuff daily!

I had a Kodak Disc camera, they had the worst image resolution, because they used these tiny 16mm negatives (instead of the standard 35mm)

But I love all the 80's fashion, and white sneakers

Another Dark ride that bites the dust ...but I loved it as a kid. Espeically the dragon and the ship scene!
    Name:  WOM.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  110.7 KB

Whats that smell? Man I miss this ride !!!!
    Name:  orangehorizions.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  105.9 KB

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

• Shubisha

Trees on main street have been gone since after Wishes debuted and many people complained.. at least I believe Wishes is what finally sparked the change.

Quote Originally Posted by DWD Imagineer View Post
    So I have many more, and the quality is only about to go down...but the fun is sitll there with the nostalgia!! Speaking of, no monoliths! (or grave stones)...
    I had forgotten there were acrylic spires on the fountain as seen on this photo and if I recall, they used to change colors at night. Such a nice decorative accent, I wonder why they took them down? Come to think of it, Epcot's entryway could use a major remodeling or at least restore the old look of it which was more cosmetically pleasing and futuristic.

I loved how open EPCOT Center's entrance plaza was. Now with the "graveyard" it feels much smaller and compressed... almost claustrophobic in a way. Those things REALLY need to go. I miss the acrylic sculpture that was on the entry fountain as well. Was so pretty at night.

I miss the acrylics as well. They probably removed them because they housed the original Epcot Center logo which in turn each pavillion had its own logo. I miss those logos. Oh and look, and old postcard was in the same box of old photos....ENJOY!

Name:  postcard1back.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  Postcard1front.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  84.7 KB

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by DWD Imagineer View Post
    Another Dark ride that bites the dust ...but I loved it as a kid. Espeically the dragon and the ship scene!
    Name:  WOM.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  110.7 KB

Whats that smell? Man I miss this ride !!!!
    Name:  orangehorizions.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  105.9 KB
    Times 100!!

Hey I have that postcard too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast