Page 1 of 33 123411 ... LastLast

Re: Disney now has rights to AVATAR for Theme park attraction!!

I never saw the movie and don't really have interest in seeing it, but this is good news to me. Animal Kingdom does need a little bit of love and this addition coming soon after the Fantasyland expansion is what WDW needs. Hopefully this will continue to disperse and evenly distribute crowds.

• Banned User

Before everybody chimes in about how this is the death of Animal Kingdom, not true to original vision, blah blah blah I would point out that

a) Animal Kingdom has always been focused on animals and their environments both real and fantasy
    b) taking that fantasy angle and applying it to alien worlds is a unique approach

I imagine this becomes AK's "Tomorrowland" of sorts.

Also: this is obviously the true response to Harry Potter (or, more accurately, part of a multi-faceted approach including the Fantasyland expansion).

I'm all for it, though I do expect a hate brigade as well.

• Disney + Menken fan

Love it<3
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Really didn't care for Avatar but curious how they hope to pull this off. We're still several years away on this.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist

People left the theater dying to go to Pandora, so I think it's a natural fit for a theme park. Might be the Potter-killer they've been seeking.

(but yes, it does fly in the face of edutainment.... but I think I'm OK with it)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Moderator

Added the official blog posting to the first post:

AVATAR Coming To Disney Parks « Disney Parks Blog

• WDW will always be home.

Just when you think things are starting to look up...

Yes, Avatar could make for a great themed experience, but at DAK??? DAK did have the best, most cohesive theming of any park in Orlando (with the exception of Chester & Hester). There goes that...

I can kind of accept that TWDC under Iger is no longer willing to support the creation of grand, original concepts like Horizons or PotC or HM or heck, even Expedition Everest unless it's tied into a successful franchise. I wish they would at least stop bastardizing what's left of the genius of the past.

Coming soon: Lord of the Rings in World Showcase!! The Hunger Games in Adventureland!!! Twilight in Liberty Square!!!! They're popular franchises, so of course they're going to be teh awezomez and if you disagree you're obviously just a hater!!

EDITED TO ADD: In proactive response to everyone who sees this and wants to reply to it, this post was my initial, emotional reaction to a fairly shocking announcement. While I still stand by what I said, I did temper it with a follow up post, partially quoted here:

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think this could be done in a way that's tasteful. I guess it's just an indication of my opinion on the latest from WDI that I have very little faith that it will be done in a tasteful manner. It also probably reflects that I thought the film, while visually stunning, was terribly unoriginal and overrated. If this is going to happen, I just hope it gets the necessary funding and creative control from the right people in order to be done right.

And Beastly Kingdom would have been preferable and made a lot more sense, but my guess is that's too risky for Iger which is just sad.
    If you'd like to challenge my views on the matter, please take the entirety of the above into account. Thanks
    Last edited by PSUMark; 09-20-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

LOL, and you were all worried about Marvel coming to the parks! SURPRISE! I think its great, I cant wait to see the art for it.
    Last edited by mickey11; 09-20-2011 at 10:17 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator

There's a link at the bottom of the blog post to email questions for Tom Staggs to answer. I encourage everyone to think of some good hard hitting questions and hope he answers!

Yes, Avatar could make for a great themed experience, but at DAK??? DAK did have the best, most cohesive theming of any park in Orlando (with the exception of Chester & Hester). There goes that...

I can kind of accept that TWDC under Iger is no longer willing to support the creation of grand, original concepts like Horizons or PotC or HM or heck, even Expedition Everest unless it's tied into a successful franchise. I wish they would at least stop bastardizing what's left of the genius of the past.

Coming soon: Lord of the Rings in World Showcase!! The Hunger Games in Adventureland!!! Twilight in Liberty Square!!!! They're popular franchises, so of course they're going to be teh awezomez and if you disagree you're obviously just a hater!!

And if you think it's a good idea and welcome addition you're obviously a bigoted idiot who isn't a true fan of Disney? Alright...

• Banned User

Franchise aside, how is this any different of a theme clash than the almost there from day 1 Beastly Kingdom?

Blog Entries

I'm interested in seeing more on what they're planning here. If they do this in a major way, then it could be very interesting. If this just becomes another 3d movie then count me as not interested.

Edit: ^ Sup fellow Seminole Disney fan

I'm excited. Animal Kingdom needs more attractions. It's still a "half day" park in most people's eyes (and it totally is unless you do all the walking trails and Rafiki's Planet Watch). I think it's a huge stab at Potterland, and combined with the Fantasyland expansion it just might be enough to compete.

Page 1 of 33 123411 ... LastLast