Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking What Happened to Roger

Hi Im corry and Im new to the group. My good friend Caryn andI have made it our mission to find out what happend to Roger Rabbit? I know he used to be in DW back in the late 80's I have the pictures to prove it lol but what has happened to him since? was he too adult for Disney? any ideas would be grea thanks

• Minion

Re: What Happened to Roger

there's an unresolved legal dispute that's kept roger out of the parks except for his previously constructed ride at DL.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    there's an unresolved legal dispute that's kept roger out of the parks except for his previously constructed ride at DL.
    Do you think they will ever bring him back?

• The magic is in the shoes

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforRoger View Post
    Do you think they will ever bring him back?
    I hope so. I'm trying out for Jessica if he does..

• Shubisha

at this point no, probably not. Maybe in a long while if something's resolved and one of those "family fun day" rare character things happens again. Otherwise, they pretty much replaced him with Genie in any "Wacky" situation. He'd likely show up again in Tokyo before anywhere else if anything got settled.

so i guess i better get my passport and head to Tokyo lol

I do hope that Disney and Spielberg reach an agreement. If Disney can reacquire Oswald 80 years later then I'm confident they will one day have Roger back :P

I'm sure there was a rumour a few months ago of a sequel... If they ever do any TV/Movie stuff with him then the character will no doubt show up in the parks. Until that day, I don't hold much hope

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Roger is my favorite character, and I constantly wish that they could pull him out... he used to be part of Spectro Magic, but was replaced by the Genie.

He was/is an epic character, and I wish that there wouldn't have been all the legal issues regarding him. Sigh....
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• WDW will always be home.

It's kind of funny, all of this ties back to a clash of egos between Spielberg and Eisner in the early '90s... This was exacerbated when Spielberg became the chief creative consultant for Universal Orlando, and then formed Dreamworks SKG with Katzenberg after he left Disney under, ahem, "less than friendly" circumstances.

Other than possibly the conflict of interest with Spielberg's stake in Universal, you would think that all of this could have been resolved by now. It's been a long time, and keeping Roger locked up isn't profiting anyone. Eisner's gone, and Iger has already shown himself to be "the great peacemaker" by rebuilding similar burned bridges with Roy E. Disney, George Lucas, and Steve Jobs. I wonder if Disney is just no longer interested in Roger? With Iger's obsession with creating/acquiring valuable "franchises," you would think this would be a priority...
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I knew there had been some legal issues regarding Roger Rabbit--involving bad blood between Mr. Eisner and Mr. Speilberg. But we thought we had read that the dispute regarding Roger had been resolved a while back.

ORWEN: Disney theme parks have been putting out Roger Rabbit merchandise for the past few years again--like pins, watches, plush toys, etc. So we thought that proved the dispute had been settled.

ORDDU: We just assumed that the reason Roger, himself, hasn't made any more appearances in the parks was because he'd been out of sight for so long that Disney management decided they could get along without him. But if the legal dispute is still on-going, how can there still be merchandise sold at the Disney theme parks for Roger?

• Shubisha

They've shown Roger again on TV recently.. if they can manage to settle the money dispute for airing rights I feel like they could resolve it for theme park appearances. But it might just be an issue of now they have to pay more for the character's use, and they're not willing to do that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    They've shown Roger again on TV recently.. if they can manage to settle the money dispute for airing rights I feel like they could resolve it for theme park appearances. But it might just be an issue of now they have to pay more for the character's use, and they're not willing to do that.
    TV, Broadcasting, Video, rights are very different than theme park, personal appearance, and retail licensing.

Roger Rabbit 2 is in the pipeline right now, and I think that if it does finally get the green light, I think that this legal issue will get resolved. I just think that right now there is just no interest, on either side because they don't see it adding any value.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I thought I saw Roger Rabbit in a parade just a few years ago but just in the parade, not out where you can line up to take pictures with the character.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    It's kind of funny, all of this ties back to a clash of egos between Spielberg and Eisner in the early '90s... This was exacerbated when Spielberg became the chief creative consultant for Universal Orlando, and then formed Dreamworks SKG with Katzenberg after he left Disney under, ahem, "less than friendly" circumstances.

Other than possibly the conflict of interest with Spielberg's stake in Universal, you would think that all of this could have been resolved by now. It's been a long time, and keeping Roger locked up isn't profiting anyone. Eisner's gone, and Iger has already shown himself to be "the great peacemaker" by rebuilding similar burned bridges with Roy E. Disney, George Lucas, and Steve Jobs. I wonder if Disney is just no longer interested in Roger? With Iger's obsession with creating/acquiring valuable "franchises," you would think this would be a priority...
    I think this is it more than anything. Although Disney seems very interested in featuring their characters right now, I think they're more interested in promoting characters that they know audiences are familiar with and are showing a current interest in. And to be honest, I doubt many modern guests would even recognize Roger Rabbit.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I think this is it more than anything. Although Disney seems very interested in featuring their characters right now, I think they're more interested in promoting characters that they know audiences are familiar with and are showing a current interest in. And to be honest, I doubt many modern guests would even recognize Roger Rabbit.
    True, but he's a heck of a lot more recognizable than Oswald... And for some reason, getting Oswald back was important enough for Iger, the TV guy, to trade an ESPN analyst for
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast