Has anyone done an in room celebration?

I'm specifically interested in the Christmas ones. I really want to do Christmas (and new years) at WDW in 2012 but my husband is really concerned about the Christmas tree, or lack thereof. After some minor searching I discovered that you can get a tree in your room and other celebratory Christmas things and I think that might sway him. I realize we're more than a year off but we're big pre-planners and before officially pitching it to the Hubs I'd like to be super informed. So anyone with experience (and PICS!) I would greatly appreciate some insight. Even if you haven't done a Christmas celebration I'd like to know what your experinces are with the Dream Makers and in room celebrations. Thanks a bunch!

PS A little about our family:
    We're both in our late 20's
    We have a 3 year old daughter (she'll be 4 by the time we go)
    We've been to WDW once, summer of 2010
    We'll probably stay at a moderate resort not sure which one yet.

Re: Has anyone done an in room celebration?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

::cricket cricket::

I've not done an in-room celebration, but I've seen several sites that say that the 4' Christmas tree you can purchase costs $400. If you want the tree and its decor shipped home, which I'm sure you would, it costs another $100. When I see numbers like that, I start to consider how I could do it myself. If that seems a bit too expensive to you as well, I recommend that you buy a 4 foot, pre-lit artificial tree for $50 and not unpack it until you get there. It could just be checked as luggage, which would still be a lot cheaper than the $500 tree.

Also, after Christmas this year you should be able to find deals on the Disney store's website for Christmas ornaments to use the following year. (I'd try to buy some that aren't particularly fragile. You can purchase inexpensive, unbreakable sets of globes to compliment the Disney ornaments you find.)

If avoiding all this extra planning is worth $500 to you, then go for it. I just think there are advantages here to doing it yourself. Your daughter may actually appreciate and remember decorating the tree herself more than it just showing up in the room. If you did want a personalized surprise in the room, you could go with one of their Christmas gift packages that range between $40 and $90. The link below shows what packages they offer:

http://ftdfloristsonline.com/disneyfloralandgifts/category/holidays/christmas_holiday_magic/display

Name:  1322982107.png
Views: 1040
Size:  21.1 KB

Keep in mind, that if the item is being shipped, you can have it shipped to you c/o the hotel and it should just be there when you arrive.

Obviously, contact the front desk and find out if they have any labelling requirements ( e.g.: HOLD FOR YOUR_NAME CHECK-IN 2011-12-20 or whatever... )

Doesn't matter to UPS if they deliver it to your house, or the Grand Floridian...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

$400 for a Christmas tree in your room? Are they mad? Wow.

If it were me, I'd just go to the closest Walmart or Target when you get in town and buy a fake 2' table-top tree for $30 or less and do it all yourself.

At Bay lake tower there is orange Halloween lights hanging from a couple of room balcony's.

Those are great ideas thanks! I think hitting up a Target or Walmart once we get there sounds perfect and it would be more fun to decorate it ourselves. What about the other celebration options? Welcome gifts family totes etc? I'm pretty informed about what you get and how much things cost I'm more interested in what kinds of experiences people have had with ordering and delivery of celebration items. Thanks!!

• Minion

well I have never personally done it but I know a friend who has and they said it was a great experience. They went through the Disney company's floral and gifts department (the site they direct you to from the wdw site) and got the Christmas family treats tote. They are a young family so they used that for their 2 kids' christmas eve present, they never got the tree though so I cant tell you about that, all I know is they thought they got a pretty decent value for it in comparison to a lot of the other items they were considering on the site. From just looking it up now it costs $88 and here is the description:

Enjoy a holiday celebration with this exclusive bag. This spacious, insulated tote features a variety of Disney snacks, such as Minnie's cookies, Goofy's candy, caramel corn, cheese, crackers, juice, water and more. Mickey also included his famous holiday rice crispy treats to sweeten the surprise. And, to brighten your celebration, there's a "light up"Mickey lanyard that says, “Happy Holidays.” These gifts, and more, were tucked inside to fill your merry bag to the brim!

They said the bag was overflowing with drinks, and treats and in comparison to the in store values of each individual item plus the price of the bag they calculated it was pretty much even, with the transport back to your room for free basically. In their mind the best part was that it gave them healthy snacks along with the Christmas eve treats so they could give them to their kids the next day and save money on that front. She also said the bag is pretty durable as she still uses it and she got their family name stitched for free but i don't know if they offer that anymore. hope that helps! if there's anymore vacation questions you have don't hesitate to ask .

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    well I have never personally done it but I know a friend who has and they said it was a great experience. They went through the Disney company's floral and gifts department (the site they direct you to from the wdw site) and got the Christmas family treats tote. They are a young family so they used that for their 2 kids' christmas eve present, they never got the tree though so I cant tell you about that, all I know is they thought they got a pretty decent value for it in comparison to a lot of the other items they were considering on the site. From just looking it up now it costs $88 and here is the description:

Enjoy a holiday celebration with this exclusive bag. This spacious, insulated tote features a variety of Disney snacks, such as Minnie's cookies, Goofy's candy, caramel corn, cheese, crackers, juice, water and more. Mickey also included his famous holiday rice crispy treats to sweeten the surprise. And, to brighten your celebration, there's a "light up"Mickey lanyard that says, “Happy Holidays.” These gifts, and more, were tucked inside to fill your merry bag to the brim!

They said the bag was overflowing with drinks, and treats and in comparison to the in store values of each individual item plus the price of the bag they calculated it was pretty much even, with the transport back to your room for free basically. In their mind the best part was that it gave them healthy snacks along with the Christmas eve treats so they could give them to their kids the next day and save money on that front. She also said the bag is pretty durable as she still uses it and she got their family name stitched for free but i don't know if they offer that anymore. hope that helps! if there's anymore vacation questions you have don't hesitate to ask .
    Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I think if we do end up doing it we'll get a gift bag type celebration instead of a tree and use EpcotGirl and aimster's advice and get our own (much cheaper) tree. I knew Micechatters would be a big help! Any more anecdotes would be fabulously helpful for pitching it to the Hubs!

Regarding the Family Treats Tote, I have checked everywhere and I can't seem to get dimensions on it. I have even called the Disney Florist and they had no idea. They still offer personalizing, they are even willing to work with my 14 letter long last name, but I REALLY want to know how big it is.

• Timelord

Keep in mind too that buying a tree right after Christmas this year would be your best bet. They discount those things down by 75% usually right around the week before/week after Christmas. Anything to save money that you can then use towards your trip =D