• Original

91 66.42%
  • Don't know

10 7.30%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Original idea vs. Avatar poll

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin6592 View Post
    It's a genius business move. An Avatar land is going to bring in more people than an original concept built from the ground up. It is genius in that regard and that's why I'm all for it. However, this question is being presented on a Disney affiliated website full of Disney fans. The results are going to be obvious. Give this poll to people outside of the Disney realm and the results are bound to be different. That's why it's erroneous. The answer is obvious about what we want but what will actually work in the business world is completely different from what we wish for. So yes, it is erroneous.
    Your argument is a fallacious appeal to presumed bias: it is founded on the presumption that any poll on this fan site must be biased, and that any poll of "people outside of the Disney realm" will be accurate. The argument is erroneous, the poll is not.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

One is not more accurate than the other. A combination of the two is what is accurate. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I said was that a poll taken outside of this website would see very different results. Mind pointing me in the direction where I said those results would be the correct ones? Thanks.

• Senior Minion

One is not more accurate than the other. A combination of the two is what is accurate. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I said was that a poll taken outside of this website would see very different results. Mind pointing me in the direction where I said those results would be the correct ones? Thanks.
    "Accurate," "different" or "correct," your argument is still a fallacious appeal to presumed bias. Your argument is also irrelevant: the poll does not presume to measure any opinions except those on this forum; what a hypothetical poll of people "outside of the Disney realm" would measure is hypothetical, and thus irrelevant to the results of this poll.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

lolwat

It's obviously irrelevant to the results of this poll. This poll is this poll. My point, which isn't a very hard one to understand, is that the results would differ if taken outside of the site. Everyone here wants original lands. That's not a hard thing to figure out. I'm a staunch supporter of the Avatar land construction, but that doesn't mean I'd rather see it than an original, from scratch Disney based land. However, as a business student, I understand the advantages for the park an Avatar based land provides over a brand new purely Disney created land so I don't have trouble supporting it. That's why the poll in and of itself is faulty, I can answer the question two different ways for two different reasons. But that's besides the point.

I don't mean to be mean, but you really can't call it a "genius business move" if half your die hard fans hate the idea

It is a genius business move though. Talking strictly business, this is an option that is going to bring in a huge amount of money and attract crowds. Even the people that claim they hate the idea are going to visit it when they go to Animal Kingdom.

• Minion

It is a genius business move though. Talking strictly business, this is an option that is going to bring in a huge amount of money and attract crowds. Even the people that claim they hate the idea are going to visit it when they go to Animal Kingdom.
    Well of course people already there will visit it simply because...they are already there. but what people are saying and I don't think your hearing, is that it wont DRAW a significant amount of people to the parks for that specific addition.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Well of course people already there will visit it simply because...they are already there. but what people are saying and I don't think your hearing, is that it wont DRAW a significant amount of people to the parks for that specific addition.

I think it will draw a lot of people. Just comparing the film success to the 8 Harry Potter films shows i'ts a popular franchise wit more more movies on the way. As far as merchandising goes Avatar is pretty weak at the moment but I could see that being a strong seller inside the parks as well with the way DAK merchandises it's products and the tie ins to conservations.

Avatar Box office $2,782,275,172

Harry Potter Box office Total (8 films):
    $7,701,234,647

numbers are from the two films wiki pages

People who honestly think Avatar won't be a HUGE draw don't understand the magnitude of this deal. As biggsworth posted, Avatar brought in more than a fourth of the money that the entire Harry Potter franchise made in one film. Many people are right that the draw was the effects and the mindblowing visuals but don't you guys see that that is exactly what the draw will be here as well? People are going to say, "Man, those visuals were amazing cinematically, imagine what it's like in real life." Pandora/Avatar land is going to bring in a huge amount of people. Whether or not the draw will be as big as WWoHP remains to be seen, but if you honestly think the numbers at WDW will remain the same after this land's opening, then...well I don't even know what to tell you.

The only reason they did this press conference was to see what fans on-line think of the idea, and half the fans said "no thanks" ...so it's be kind of crazy to go ahead with it

And telling people "you should like the idea of Avatar-land, because if you did like the idea it would make Disney a lot of money" really isn't winning anybody over

Wait, who said that? Posters here, or are you referring to words said during the PC?

Also, you guys should go check out the WDW facebook page. There's pretty solid evidence that there are many in favor of the idea. Some of them have even said that they're "sure it will be good, but it's just a little confusing". There are also people who don't like the idea, but the conclusion that the online response has been largely a resounding "NO" is pretty off base.

• Metro-Retro Historian

It will bring in a large amount of people when it's new and shiny. Most things like this do. The real unknown is if this theme will hold up over time or if the company will have to drop another large some of money a decade down the line to halfheartedly re-theme the area to something else.

When I first heard about this, I was hoping that they were just buying up the rights to Avatar just so nobody else would get them.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I think if the rides are fun and the scenery is beautiful, it will hold. Again, Song of the South isn't even legally obtainable here, yet sure enough, Splash Mountain is one of the most iconic rides in theme park history. I think it's more about how well they do in creating this land and its attractions than it is about how well Avatar itself does.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I voted Original Idea. I personally think Disney doesn't have faith in an original idea like Beastly Kingdom. It's like they want to go for a sure thing. Same goes for Universal Studios. U.S. uses their movies & TV shows to create attractions. But why not an original idea for U.S.? They bought a "sure thing".

Now Disney mostly bases their newest additions lately on their own material so I don't fault them for going after a sure thing.

I suspect Disney is afraid to fail. What Disney should do is create the Avatar Animal Kingdom experience and the new Beastly Kingdom area as a duel project. 2 new additions to Animal Kingdom. Beastly working along side Avatar. It's a completely far fetched idea but most ideas here are. Just an idea.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Food for thought: The movie Avatar (an original, unproven, heavily-hyped, groundbreaking, hugely expensive and hugely risky project) was the filmic equivalent of WDI spending $500 million on creating its own new land from the ground up (original, unproven, groundbreaking, risky) for Animal Kingdom.

I voted original, am fine with Avatar if executed right, but there is some irony in that Disney is taking the safer course by using a film that was one of the biggest gambles in movie history.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast