137. You may not vote on this poll

36 26.28%
  • Original

91 66.42%
  • Don't know

10 7.30%
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Original idea vs. Avatar poll

Make your vote. Avatar land or an original concept from WDI.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Minion

Re: Original idea vs. Avatar poll

I was hoping for Australia really bad, then I heard this (facepalm)

It's pretty sad that the public seems so vehemently opposed to this land and Disney seems so happy about it. Even most of the cast members I've talked to are excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    Make your vote. Avatar land or an original concept from WDI.
    There isn't an original idea left out there, thats why you see so much "repeat/replay" type stuff out there these days. Movies are about comics we read as a kid, or toys like rock'em sock'em robots.

It's pretty sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    There isn't an original idea left out there, thats why you see so much "repeat/replay" type stuff out there these days. Movies are about comics we read as a kid, or toys like rock'em sock'em robots.

It's pretty sad really.
    Believe me, even the comic books aren't original anymore either.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• All-American

I voted "don't know." Depends on the original concept. Disneyland's 1998 Tomorrowland, Disney's California Adventure, and Dino-Rama were all original concepts, but look how they turned out. I would take an extremely well-themed and beautifully designed Avatar Land than an original piece of cr@p... but if an original design were to be built just as beautifully, than I would prefer that.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 09-24-2011 at 12:25 AM.

• In a Disney World Daze...

Where is the I want both category?
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    There isn't an original idea left out there, thats why you see so much "repeat/replay" type stuff out there these days.
    There are enormous numbers of original ideas out there, all courting a shrinking number of forward-thinking investors and corporate managers who are willing to take a risk on them. Ideas shunned by the big-bonus boys like Bob and Tom, who'd rather roll a half billion on sure-bet reruns like Cars and Avatar than a dime on developing their company's future creative heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by harpist1991 View Post
    It's pretty sad that the public seems so vehemently opposed to this land and Disney seems so happy about it. Even most of the cast members I've talked to are excited about it.
    Not surprising. Joy verging on giddiness was the order of the day at Burbank before DCA opened. (Which does not mean AvatarLand will bomb like DCA did, but which does mean Disney is notorious for believing its own hype.)
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-23-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

If they've suddenly got money to burn, why not spend it on things they've been saying they can't afford? Beastly Kingdom, anyone? How about bringing some of the amazing stuff from the Tokyo parks stateside?

I really want to hear from the people that voted for Avatar over an original idea.

I can't imagine they'd still go through with Avatar-land after this dismal reaction people have had. When news of the Fantasyland Expansion broke everyone on-line said "OMG! I can't wait" but nobody is that excited about the Avatar news.

Personally I'd rather see the Fantasia part of the original plan become the focuses of a new land

I think it's obvious that most people want an original concept over a bought one, but that doesn't mean we can't think the construction of a Pandora land is a good idea. This poll is erroneous..

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin6592 View Post
    This poll is erroneous..
    It's not erroneous. To those who have vehemently defended Disney's Avatar decision as "genius," its results are no doubt aggravating.

But erroneous? Not a bit.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

It's a genius business move. An Avatar land is going to bring in more people than an original concept built from the ground up. It is genius in that regard and that's why I'm all for it. However, this question is being presented on a Disney affiliated website full of Disney fans. The results are going to be obvious. Give this poll to people outside of the Disney realm and the results are bound to be different. That's why it's erroneous. The answer is obvious about what we want but what will actually work in the business world is completely different from what we wish for. So yes, it is erroneous.

•   
    • Minion

I voted for avatar I think it will be a great edition to DAK. I go to the theme parks to escape reality and all of the Disney parks do that for me. I really like the avatar movie. the planet of Pandora can really look great i believe in real life. DAK is my favorite orlando park and definetley needs something of this magnitude to help it out. I only wish it was sooner!!!

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast