Halloween VS Christmas

Hi everyone! I am planning a vacation for my family (2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 and 9) for next year. I either want to go the very end of Sept/beginning of Oct for halloween, or the 2nd week in Nov. before Thanksgiving for Christmas. I was just wondering everyones opinions on Halloween VS Christmas decor and the extra holiday parties (not so scary halloween, whatever the xmas party is called). Also, I'm looking for minimal crowds. Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

• Minion

Re: Halloween VS Christmas

tough call but i would have to go with Christmas, its just an unparalleled experience

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyn6884 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am planning a vacation for my family (2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 and 9) for next year. I either want to go the very end of Sept/beginning of Oct for halloween, or the 2nd week in Nov. before Thanksgiving for Christmas. I was just wondering everyones opinions on Halloween VS Christmas decor and the extra holiday parties (not so scary halloween, whatever the xmas party is called). Also, I'm looking for minimal crowds. Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!
    I went to WDW on the week of the 4th of July and the crowds at MK were nuts on the 4th! It took us 30 minutes to crawl our way out of MK (rest of the week was fine though) and from what Ive heard that's the second worst date of the year for crowds and the first one is Christmas. So for minimal crowds you might want to skip Christmas.

• In a Disney World Daze...

Depends on which holiday everyone in your group enjoys more and crowd tolerance as well. Both should be busy, but christmas will be far busier.

Check out the special events that are going on during each holiday and if there are any events going on that really appeal to you I would let that influence your decision as well.
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

• Minion

According to the crowd calendar at Disney World | Disneyland - Vacation Planning Tools, they're predicting bigger crowds in the first half of November than in the first half of October.

• Mkcoastie

I would love to do Christmas, we went in November years ago and a lot of the decorations were up. Beautiful. With that being said, however, my family always end up going in the late fall or early spring (like September/October) because we still want to be able to swim. Giving up the pool time at a resort would be a tough one for my family, but that is the main sticking point. If your family is not as into the pools, or you arn't staying at a resort, I would go for Christmas. If there is any flexiblity in your date the first weeks of December are supposed to be some of the lightest crowd wise. Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time

• Minion

I'm tentatively planning my next trip for November 2012, but the week after Thanksgiving instead of before. Crowds are usually thin, and resort rates low (although not rock-bottom). I've never been there to see the Christmas decorations, and I can't wait!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Well depends how long you want to stay at the theme parks. For those who think an 11 day venture is too long well you might be right but only a few can last that long at WDW. You would attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party on Halloween night and then wait either 7-9 days for the first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party to start, the 1st night you would attend. This way you would be able to do both. But the dates are of course subject to change. That's one big BIG trip adventure where you would get the most bang for your buck.

Usually you would get free dining your entire stay, depending if the deal returns next year which it would mostly do so. Then you get the "deal" of the longer you stay the cheaper it costs versus 2 divided trips over October and December, you know in case you wanted to do both next year.

That's my BIG idea. You can even cut in the middle of the vacation and visit other parts of Florida, the beach to break the 9+ days of a stay at WDW. But remember to get the free dining you would need to stay on property.

Now will a 5yr old and a 9yr old last long? Doubt it. This plan would work if you had family in Florida where you could go for a mini 2 day off property visit but most of us don't know anyone in Florida.

So if this just isn't an option, the mega trip. Then I would choose Christmas. There's just more to see and do at all four parks for Christmas. The more bang for your buck. Halloween is usually just Magic Kingdom now. Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are already getting ready for Christmas 1st week of November.

Plus you get free cocoa and cookies all night long during the Christmas Party. It's a small token of free but it's worth it when you're in the park.

In the end my vote goes for Christmas. I plan on going next year for Christmas. Hopefully Christmas Day. Usually I book a New Year's Eve trip last week of December through the begining of the new year. This way you get the Christmas Parade free during those weeks since the parties are over and you get to ring in the new year inside the Magic Kingdom. Just remember if you chose this option that you MUST be in the Magic Kingdom very early in the morning and don't even think about leaving during the day because if the Kingdom is full to capacity they won't let you back in.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Hello, new member to the boards!

My husband and I are going Dec 11-15th. I am so excited! I have never been able to be at Disney at Christmas. We've always gone at the beginning of May.

My question is: is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas worth the price? Are there any rare characters in the meet n greets? I appreciate it.

I remember seeing pictures of Uncle Scrooge selling Christmas trees at Toon Town...anything cool like that?
    Last edited by NCDisneyQueen; 10-04-2011 at 06:47 PM.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

If you want to go for Christmas, I would recommend going that first week of December, during the weekdays. Not sure if that necessarily counts as going "for Christmas", but you'll still get to see all of the decorations and the crowds will be much thinner than later in the month (though you'll still have to watch out for weekends).

Also, October can be unpredictable weather wise in Florida. Sometimes it's great - cool and breezy, and sometimes it's Hellish with highs in the mid 90s. You definitely won't have a problem with the weather in December though.

I would personally choose Christmas, but that's just because the decorations really are beautiful. If you're kids are too young to appreciate the beauty of the park, then maybe Halloween is your best fit as there's trick or treating options you can do.

Ultimately, however, I say Christmas.

Photo Via jdhilger