Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Big Thunder Mountain long-term rehab announced

Rehab dates have been announced for BTMRR.

Jan 9 - May 28

With it being a 5+ month rehab, lets hope we get all those major effects back in working order!

5 months I must assume they are doing some ride vehicle upkeep.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: Big Thunder Mountain long-term rehab announced

This is actually great, great news.

• Shubisha

That's fine. But don't you dare shut down HM for a few weeks to install haunted mansion holiday.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    That's fine. But don't you dare shut down HM for a few weeks to install haunted mansion holiday.
    Tangent.. but we know why they don't do it.. they don't need to! They don't need to keep pulling APs back to the park.. so little need to do seasonal overlays.

But I would like to see the overlay done on odd years or something.. every other year, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Not here to help

They should shut down the entire resort and have it refurbed... but BTM needs it alot... that giant hole in the tunnel is as painful to see as the yeti statue just standing there.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 10-09-2011 at 05:48 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Metro-Retro Historian

I hope they add a few Johnny Depp animatronics from the upcoming Lone Ranger flick.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• WDW will always be home.

Thank God!! This is great news indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Tangent.. but we know why they don't do it.. they don't need to! They don't need to keep pulling APs back to the park.. so little need to do seasonal overlays.

But I would like to see the overlay done on odd years or something.. every other year, etc.
    At the recent Trick or Tweet-up, Imagineer Jason Surrell was quoted as saying that DLR has a 70% to 30% AP holder to non-local vacationer ratio whereas WDW is the exact opposite, and that's why WDW doesn't get the overlay. When you take into account all the people that don't get to WDW that often, it's the right call IMHO. I'm at WDW 1-4 times every year, but if I was going once every five years, once every ten years, or once in a lifetime, would I want to see the classic HM that may very well be the best dark ride ever created, or some cheap Tim Burton overlay (not to mention all the people that would miss HM entirely as it has to go down for almost a month before/after the overlay)? I've seen it at DL, and it's a fun overlay, but it can't even begin to compare to the genius of Claude Coats/Marc Davis. And unlike a rehab/refurb which is necessary to keep the attraction running at Disney show quality standards, this is a completely optional change-up (that can't even accurately be said to be "plussing").

Normally, TDO making excuses about once-in-a-lifetime visitors is just that - an excuse, but in this case it's not about deferred maintenance, it's about a seasonal overlay. And under the circumstances it's the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    They should shut down the entire resort and have if refurbed... but BTM needs it alot... that giant hole in the tunnel is as painful to see as the yeti statue just standing there.
    Amen.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 10-08-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• In a Disney World Daze...

Not me. I would prefer a sort of "Holiday world" attraction in itself that changes with the seasons and the holidays.

The load queue would be all the trees with the holidays and the interior would reflect those holidays....

For WDW that I would like to see....
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

This is FANTASTIC news!!! One can only hope that they refurb EVERYTHING!!!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Rehab dates have been announced for BTMRR.

Jan 9 - May 28

With it being a 5+ month rehab, lets hope we get all those major effects back in working order!

5 months I must assume they are doing some ride vehicle upkeep.
    Glad to hear it's getting some love
    just glad it's in January.
    We are in the parks this week (Oct 10-18).

P.S.: Kinda weird posting in WDW forum.
    First time posting over here.
    (also not a fan of the swan hotel)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• In a Disney World Daze...

Maybe we will even get some plussing....the last refurb was more or less a paint job and some minusing.....
    Contestant in the The Future of Imagineering Season 2 contest here on Mice Chat in the Celebrate the Parks section/Disneyland.
    Latest Prjoect in the Contest:
    http://disneyworlddaze.blogspot.com/2011/10/future-of-imagineering-season-2-project.html

"Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

"Bon Voyage!"
    -S.I.R.

"My friends are exciting, just like fireworks igniting, they're inc-reeeeeed-ible."

• Shubisha

I've avoided replying cuz I felt bad for derailing the thread but I have something on-topic to ask now. So first.. I think it's worth noting that many many people still come up to the country bear jamboree and ask "So this is the Christmas show version right?" Even WDW's attendance has a much lower ratio of APs, if a ride overlay is popular it's popular regardless of who's riding it. No way to determine how the reaction will be until they try it but they aren't taking the chance and I think they should have. They clearly don't care about doing special things in the park to get people to attend but I'm surprised they didn't try it to see if it helped their pitiful attempt at pushing NBC merchandise in the park =P

And on-topic =D Paging Big Thunder Mountain-obsessionist Kevin Yee: How long have these effects been down/missing for again? I've gotta wonder.. were they gone so long because they decided a significant downtime was the only way to fix them a long time ago and it's taken them THIS long to get around to it? Or is the ride finally just due for the long maintenance.

• Minion

Good news! That may be why they've let so many little things go, if they knew that they'd have time to fix them during this long refurb.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    At the recent Trick or Tweet-up, Imagineer Jason Surrell was quoted as saying that DLR has a 70% to 30% AP holder to non-local vacationer ratio whereas WDW is the exact opposite, and that's why WDW doesn't get the overlay. When you take into account all the people that don't get to WDW that often, it's the right call IMHO. I'm at WDW 1-4 times every year, but if I was going once every five years, once every ten years, or once in a lifetime, would I want to see the classic HM that may very well be the best dark ride ever created, or some cheap Tim Burton overlay (not to mention all the people that would miss HM entirely as it has to go down for almost a month before/after the overlay)? I've seen it at DL, and it's a fun overlay, but it can't even begin to compare to the genius of Claude Coats/Marc Davis. And unlike a rehab/refurb which is necessary to keep the attraction running at Disney show quality standards, this is a completely optional change-up (that can't even accurately be said to be "plussing").

Normally, TDO making excuses about once-in-a-lifetime visitors is just that - an excuse, but in this case it's not about deferred maintenance, it's about a seasonal overlay. And under the circumstances it's the right call.
    Jason has nothing to do with Haunted Mansion Holiday, and he has very little idea of AP make-up between WDW and DL. Although his percentages may be correct, when you look at the actual numbers of DL and WDW APs, they're about the same. WDW just has more visitors in general, hence why the percentages are so different from DL's. Jason is a great writer and story-teller, but he could sell snake-oil to a snake. The real reason WDW doesn't have Nightmare's Overlay is because Phil Holmes didn't want it, and sent it to Tokyo. Phil doesn't particularly care for NBC, nor does he want to deal with the downtime associated with the changeovers twice a year.
    -Bill

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ...when you look at the actual numbers of DL and WDW APs, they're about the same...
    I have no inside information, but from what I've read over the years I'm having a really hard time believing this. DL has something like 900,000 AP holders. I can't see WDW having anywhere near that number.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast