View Poll Results: Best Theme Park Entry Land in Orlando?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magic Kingdom

10 26.32%
  • Disney Hollywood Studios

6 15.79%
  • Epcot

0 0%
  • Animal Kingdom

12 31.58%
  • Sea World

1 2.63%
  • Islands of Adeventure

9 23.68%
  • Universal Studios

0 0%

Which Theme Park has the best themed entry land?

Which theme park has the best themed entry land:

For the purposes of the discussion Epcot is up to Spaceship Earth, and count theming for Production Central at Universal Studios but not the Rides.

So is it the classic Magic Kingdom, Hollywood version of Main Street at DHS, The Oasis at DAK, The Bland Epcot opening, Exotic IOA, Seafront Sea World or action packed USF?

• Minion

Re: Which Theme Park has the best themed entry land?

Port of Entry at IOA hands down.

• All-American

MK's Main Street is nice, but it's lost some of its charm since it's now effectively one large turn-of-the-century themed mall. Even the vehicles don't seem to run as much as they used to.

Epcot used to have a very grand entrance, but now the War Memorial is too distracting.

If you had asked this question circa 1998, Hollywood Studios probably would have been the clear winner. Like Main Street, but with art deco icons of vintage Los Angeles, towering palm trees, and an axial "weenie" that tied in better to the entrance than Cinderella Castle. Of course, this too is now compromised by the placement of a giant hat.

I would say Animal Kingdom's Oasis now has Disney's best entrance, with its winding jungle pathways.

That said, I think I'll have to give Islands of Adventure the best entrance in Orlando overall. A clever amalgamation of styles spanning several centuries, all combined to create a very beautiful place that seems familiar, yet exotic and not reminiscent of anywhere in particular. Sets the right tone for a theme park to be explored.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

For me it is a tie between Islands of Adventure and Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

In my opinion it would be a tie between Islands of Adventure and Hollywood Studios. It would have been Magic Kingdom, but Main Street has lost pretty much most of it's charm. Now it's just a stage for traveling trolley shows and even less charming unending little parades during the day. The charming little shops have all been replaced by the awl-matification of the Emporium. Any of the attractions on MainStreet have been eliminated and/or replaced by a gift shop or outdoor vending cart. On top of all that any shade trees and all the park benches have been removed.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I don't get to Disney World too often, but from my last memory of it, I voted Animal Kingdom. I agree that Magic Kingdom has lost a bit of it's magic in recent trips. It surely would have been my answer.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Musical Fireman

I say Disney MGM Studios (yes I still call it that) frankly because I love the early 20th century 1920's-1950's.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

I echo some of the above sentiments regarding Original Design & Intent versus Current Practice.

Main Street, Hollywood Blvd & Port of Entry were all brilliantly designed. In their heyday, they were full of unique shops & merchandise, entertainment, and curios. Then the loathsome Paul Pressler-style commercialization took hold in Orlando and much of the uniqueness and charm gave way to turning these lands into giant Disney(Universal) Stores. I am particularly dismayed by the way Port of Entry - which from a purely design standpoint is my favorite entry land - has so many merchandise racks and Univeral Express/MealDeal banners/booths shoved out in the path.

So currently, the best has to go to Oasis, which remains beautiful and hasn't been commercialized.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 10-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.

I'm afraid I've never been to IoA, but I'm sure that I would like the entrance area if it's anything on the level of MK or AK. I voted Animal Kingdom, just because the idea behind the transition from parched desert to lush Oasis is simply executed beautifully. Full immersion and a sense of calm.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    I'm afraid I've never been to IoA, but I'm sure that I would like the entrance area if it's anything on the level of MK or AK.
    You can use Google Maps Street View for a full 360 degrees, up & down, walkthrough of IOA... it's pretty awesome. Go to Google Maps, Locate IoA, then zoom in all the way (or drag the yellow man icon onto the park). It's the closest thing to walking through Port of Entry.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    You can use Google Maps Street View for a full 360 degrees, up & down, walkthrough of IOA... it's pretty awesome. Go to Google Maps, Locate IoA, then zoom in all the way (or drag the yellow man icon onto the park). It's the closest thing to walking through Port of Entry.

...And I've found what I'm doing for the next hour.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

Disney Hollywood Studios is my least favorite park but not because of the entrance - I actually think the first section of the park has the best theming - I love the old Hollywood look. Beyond that it's Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You forgot Busch Gardens. Their entry is themed to Morocco and it's done better than one might think.

I voted for Islands of Adventure. Port of Entry is themed to the HILT.