Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The cheapening of WDW

Does anyone else see a trend here? The restaurant in Norway becoming a 'princess meal' only restaurant. The "re-imagineering" of Alien Encounter to huge merchandise commercial called Stitch Escape. The opening of (and this still fumes me) MICKEY MART at Downtown Disney...an under 10 dollar Disney store. The addition of a Jack Sparrow AA into Pirates (how that will fit into the already thin storyline of the ride is beyond me....I say this because rumours hold that the new AA will be placed in the final scene). Does anyone else find this trend a little unsettling? I turned the other cheek when the All Star resorts opened, but this is getting a little crazy. (and yes, before the fire-storm starts, I understand the need for value accomodations...I just think they could have done it without a giant plastic cell phone and rubix cube...as well as catch phrases spelled out across the length of buildings....NEATO"

• Disney World Aficionados

what is the Jack Sparrpw thing with Pirates?
    It's only been 3 wks since I was there last
    Did I miss something?
    The Disney Diva and Factual Al

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I like Pop Century...They already have huge cokes and bongos, why not a Rubix Cube...Pop Century was made to help you relate to when you were a child. UIt helps to bring back those memories of your youth, and I like it. A Lot!!!!!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Its rumored that a Jack AA will be put into place for the 50th. I think it is stupid because thay r just attempting to make more profit by having sometihng you can really relate to in the ride. Supposedly the AA will actually feature the voice of JD and carry lines from the movie. If they do put it up I hope that they take it down right after the 50th and get PotC back its beginings!!!!!

Jim Hill had an article stating that his sources (questionable) have mentioned that WDI has approved a Jack Sparrow AA for Pirates at WDW to be installed in the coming lengthy rehab. He mentioned this was due to many patrons complaining at city hall that there was no JACK in the Pirates ride. God forbid.

I know that after growing up riding the Haunted Mansion, I immediately expected to see Jennifer Tilley's face in the crystal ball in the seance room once I saw the movie....(exteme sarcasm).

I love reverting back to my childhood as much as anyone else, but I dont need to stay at a cheap hotel with over-sized bongos to do so. I'll just go to the Toys R Us and get a Slinky.

I can't believe that!!
    I will bery very dissapointed if that happens, but it dosen't suprise me. That has to be the most cheesiest thing they have done yet. It will just add to the confusion that is the pirates ride. After going on the one at DL, This one here needs some serious work!

Amen to that!!! You would think with the MK having more land than Dl it would have been longer but no, WDW is considerably smaller than DL's

The strange thing is, there seem to be a lot of people (on other boards) that LIKE this idea. And these are die hard Disney fans? I'm all about updates and change, but this isnt the right kind of change. Adding an element of a popular film (that may not remain popular) to a ride that has proven itself for 30 years just isnt right.

I wish I had the time to go to city hall and address all the issues I have. Apparently the people that take the time to do this are the ones that wanted the McDonalds in the park, that were upset that Alien Encounter scared their 2 year old.

Not only that, but for the "non Disney nut" it is easier to understand the story of the ride! Meanwhile, the one at Mk is just so choppy!

Maybe this is just a internet rumor...I guess we will find out soon enough!!!!!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Think about it this way. They have a free human sized AA sitting in a closed attraction (Time Keeper). It woudn't take much to put a Jack Sparrow mask on him and dress him up. It isn't like they actually green lit the building of a new AA.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceAge Columnist

I say they throw the Timekeeper AA into Pirates intact. Even keep Robin Williams' voice. It would sure liven up the Treasure Room scene!

(it may be noted here that I prefer DL's potc to WDW's....one of the few attractions DL does better)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Add the Haunted Mansion to the list of better attractions at DL. When I left Los Angeles to come here to Orlando, I couldn't believe how sub-par the effects were. Specifically the audio and video effects. The only good thing a Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay would bring is upgraded sound/video systems.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Think about it this way. They have a free human sized AA sitting in a closed attraction (Time Keeper). It woudn't take much to put a Jack Sparrow mask on him and dress him up. It isn't like they actually green lit the building of a new AA.
    You have to think about this Dusty. They will have to reprogram the AA to match a priate's moves. I takes about 15-50 man hours to program 1 second worth of movement into one of the A-100. If they put a Jack in there you know it will be an A-100 plus you have to expect them to have to workon the ride itself to put a place for his AA wires, unless they take out an old AA and put him there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast