Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Addicted to Disney

James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-Themed

Here is a new article from the Disney Parks Blog that I thought you guys might find kind of interesting. Not really any new info, but nice to see anyways. James Cameron Explores Disney

Re: James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-The

Name:  The man with a plan.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  96.9 KB

This picture. Jitters. Cameron and Rhodes - the men with the plen.

Is plen plural for plan? I don't think so. Oh well, it is now.

Seriously, even though there's no new info, it's good to know that they're doing this right, and really taking the time to look at the possibilities - as the amount of money being spent would seem to indicate.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

Re: James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-The

Good stuff. I expected this sort of ultra-anal need for perfect from Cameron though.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Still don't really care about Avatar, but Joe Rohde being involved (and I hope he will be all the way through) does make me more optimistic: Animal Kingdom is his baby, design wise, and so far been a stickler for detail and ambiance. I count that as a good thing, even though Beastly Kingdom was his project too, which likely will never happen. His involvement at least promises quality and quirkiness.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Still don't really care about Avatar, but Joe Rohde being involved (and I hope he will be all the way through) does make me more optimistic: Animal Kingdom is his baby, design wise, and so far been a stickler for detail and ambiance. I count that as a good thing, even though Beastly Kingdom was his project too, which likely will never happen. His involvement at least promises quality and quirkiness.
    I agree. I was worried that this would be done either without his involvement - or even worse - without his consent. But if he is closely involved in the project, than I am much more optimistic about the prospects of the entire expansion. He's done a great job on everything he's been in charge of (as far as I know, AK, Aulani - feel free to name other things he's done).
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

This makes sense as a means of wooing Cameron, not as something to do after it has been decided to add a whole new land.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    This. The Avatar project still makes me sad, but Rohde's involvement makes me a lot more optimistic that it may not be totally detrimental to DAK as a whole. As you say, DAK is Rohde's baby, and if he's involved, that gives me a lot more faith that there will be a legitimate effort directed towards maintaining thematic coherency. No one wants to see their own child develop an identity crisis...

---------- Post added 10-18-2011 at 10:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldBee View Post
    This a a no-brainer! The Terminator attraction at Universal blew away anything Disney ever did!
    It's true. T2:3D is better than Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, the original EPCOT Center, Haunted Mansion, the Indiana Jones Adventure, Tokyo Disney Sea - anything Disney's ever done. Ever.

Last edited by PSUMark; 10-18-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

He was like "let's take that out, and let's take that out and we have to take the AK Tree out and put in the Avatar Tree..."

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Oh James...
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

*deleted*
    Last edited by aimster; 10-19-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Because people apparently take offense if you don't have the same opinion as them.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    It's true. T2:3D is better than Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, the original EPCOT Center, Haunted Mansion, the Indiana Jones Adventure, Tokyo Disney Sea - anything Disney's ever done. Ever.

No 3-D/4-D attraction Disney has ever done matches T2: 3D, I think that's what the poster meant. Some people may like It's Tough to be a Bug or PhilharMagic over T2 but the fact is T2 has higher production values, theming, and coherency and relevance than any similar attraction Disney has made. James Cameron directed the film featured, which itself is the most expensive movie ever produced in terms of cost per minute. There's also a decent storyline mixed with live action and innovative effects...so yeah, I think it's safe to say Cameron's involvement in a Disney attraction is going to be stellar.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    No 3-D/4-D attraction Disney has ever done matches T2: 3D, I think that's what the poster meant. Some people may like It's Tough to be a Bug or PhilharMagic over T2 but the fact is T2 has higher production values, theming, and coherency and relevance than any similar attraction Disney has made. James Cameron directed the film featured, which itself is the most expensive movie ever produced in terms of cost per minute. There's also a decent storyline mixed with live action and innovative effects...so yeah, I think it's safe to say Cameron's involvement in a Disney attraction is going to be stellar.
    I was with you until the "relevance" bit. Everyone knows, and most people love, the classic Disney characters portrayed in PhilharMagic, which is why that attraction is timeless. How many people under 30 have seen T2 or care about the Terminator franchise at all? There's a reason why The Sarah Connor Chronicles lasted 2 seasons (and personally, I actually enjoyed the show) - Terminator just isn't relevant as a franchise. Nothing Cameron has ever done has been capable of sustaining a franchise. And it's not for lack of trying.

As has been said countless times before, Cameron is great at making spectacular special effects driven event films which shock and awe, and then quickly fall off the cultural radar into irrelevance. That's all he's ever done. And his theme park track record - a grand total of one attraction, which was a "4D" film - proves absolutely nothing about his ability to create a believable and immersive persistent 3D space.

This story is important and gives me hope for "Avatarland" for one reason - we now know Rohde is involved.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Marching along

If nothing else, that photo is a shrewd and deliberate PR move designed to give the critics pause, and it seems to be working wonders. Excellent play Disney.

I personally do hope it's more than PR, that Joe Rhode will indeed be deeply involved. His talent and experience are desperately needed.

I wonder though-- how much of his input and influence will make it to the finished product? Will this be a Joe Rhode production or a James Cameron production?

It will be interesting to see how egos play out as Avatarland takes shape.

I love Animal Kingdom. I can't wait to see what JR and JC come up with. Where is Bob Iger in this pic?

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    I was with you until the "relevance" bit. Everyone knows, and most people love, the classic Disney characters portrayed in PhilharMagic, which is why that attraction is timeless. How many people under 30 have seen T2 or care about the Terminator franchise at all? There's a reason why The Sarah Connor Chronicles lasted 2 seasons (and personally, I actually enjoyed the show) - Terminator just isn't relevant as a franchise. Nothing Cameron has ever done has been capable of sustaining a franchise. And it's not for lack of trying.

As has been said countless times before, Cameron is great at making spectacular special effects driven event films which shock and awe, and then quickly fall off the cultural radar into irrelevance. That's all he's ever done. And his theme park track record - a grand total of one attraction, which was a "4D" film - proves absolutely nothing about his ability to create a believable and immersive persistent 3D space.

This story is important and gives me hope for "Avatarland" for one reason - we now know Rohde is involved.
    Oh please, The Terminator and Titanic are two of the most iconic films ever made and the man has advanced special effects in film with those and Aliens, The Abyss and Avatar as well has having a huge influence on popular culture. Its pretty laughable how you deduce his work to a handful of forgetable popcorn flicks. You may not be excited about the project which is fine but that arguement is hardly sound. And it has also been said countless times before that a spectacular attraction can be made out of any source material or none at all. I don't know why people don't get that. The quality of the film does not equal or determine the quality of the attraction. I don't think I have to list examples, just look around all the parks.

• Senior Minion

"You go in the Kingdom? Cage goes in the Kingdom? Cameron's in the Kingdom.

Our Cameron.

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies
    Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain
    For we've received orders to sail back to Boston
    And so never more will we see you again."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast