Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

More Talking Mickey Tests - getting better!

From the Disney Parks blog

Certainly staged videos.. but looks like the dialog and flexibility of the implementation continues to advance! Looking good
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: More Talking Mickey Tests - getting better!

It's Teddy Rupskin creepy-like. Of course, it's still not as creepy as the original character costumes from when DL first opened.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So does that mean that the next time I meet Mickey in the park, we can have a conversation?
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

As a kid, I was always disappointed that Mickey wouldn't talk to me. It is great to see that the talking Mickey is getting better and better. Perhaps not quite there yet, but pretty darn good.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    So does that mean that the next time I meet Mickey in the park, we can have a conversation?
    Still only being done in very limited tests... but when you see this, plus the characters talking like this in the stage shows... I have high confidence this will become mainstream in the next year or so... especially when done in a controlled environment like the M&G locations done in Orlando

Am I evil? yes, I am

• The Darkness to Light

I think the reason it feels staged is because the audio is really clean. At least in some parts.

That and the lack of "snapping" actions to trigger the blinking and mouth actions, which is a plus, really.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    I think the reason it feels staged is because the audio is really clean. At least in some parts.
    And considering the fact that Disney posted this on their own blog (if you watch the video on YouTube's site, you'll see it's posted under the official Disney Parks account). Yeah... definitely staged.

Regardless, it creeps me out. I have more fun with the characters now than as a kid because I love how they interact through mime and such. I always avoid the face characters because I never know what to say to them. But the fuzzies... it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    It's Teddy Rupskin creepy-like. Of course, it's still not as creepy as the original character costumes from when DL first opened.
    Funny you should mention Teddy Ruxpin. For some reason, this talking Mickey reminds me of the talking Mickey that was made by Worlds of Wonder from the late 1980s! Here's a magazine ad:

And a commercial for the product, courtesy of YouTube (surprise, surprise): The Talking Mickey Mouse - YouTube.

But seriously, it would be neat to see Mickey talking in the parks! I wonder if they'll get that effect working for Fantasmic? It would be interesting to see him actually say, "Some imagination, huh?"

• Shubisha

It's hard to say that it's "getting better" or not. The first test at Disneyland had the voice of Mickey talking live and everyone liked it. The 2nd test seemed to have conversation generated messages and people thought it was very limited. This WDW test seems to be another live version, especially since it's a staged youtube film.. Probably this was for the video and in person it'll be the generated version though.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    It's hard to say that it's "getting better" or not. The first test at Disneyland had the voice of Mickey talking live and everyone liked it. The 2nd test seemed to have conversation generated messages and people thought it was very limited. This WDW test seems to be another live version, especially since it's a staged youtube film.. Probably this was for the video and in person it'll be the generated version though.
    T'would be a shame if the public version were just pre-recorded responses.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    The reason I say its getting better is the vocabulary or means to generate speech is getting better because the words used in this set are more diverse and too far off normal to be just recorded phrases. It's also why I said it's staged (obviously in any case, Disney would have pre-selected and coached people for a video like this..) because that would be significant if the staging included key conversation queues.

IMHO - this is more 'live' then the max pessimist would believe.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    Funny you should mention Teddy Ruxpin. For some reason, this talking Mickey reminds me of the talking Mickey that was made by Worlds of Wonder from the late 1980s! Here's a magazine ad:

And a commercial for the product, courtesy of YouTube (surprise, surprise): The Talking Mickey Mouse - YouTube.

But seriously, it would be neat to see Mickey talking in the parks! I wonder if they'll get that effect working for Fantasmic? It would be interesting to see him actually say, "Some imagination, huh?"
    I actually have one of these along with the Goofy. No clue if they still work, I couldn't find the tapes for them. I'm surprised these were saved by the dumpster!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

I still find it mildly creepy, but it's good to see that the kids like it. They don't have all the years of expecting Mickey to be silent that I do!

• WDW will always be home.

I view this as a positive. It's obviously not ready to be rolled out on a wide scale yet (or else it would be) but I'm glad to see that they're continuing to develop the technology and test it on both coasts. I'm sure it will continue to improve and grow less creepy as time progresses, just as the fur costumes in general have (if you want to see something really creepy, look at the Mickey and Minnie costumes from the premier of Snow White).

I really do think this is the right direction. Face characters already talk and, in general, the performers are wonderful - it proves that talking characters as a concept can work. There's no reason why it shouldn't extend to fur characters. It removes an element of "unreality" and makes the whole experience more immersive and personal. I mean, it's great to say, "Mickey's saving his voice for the show," but that's a pretty lame excuse that's only used because it has to be. While it may be weird for old-timers such as myself, I think that, once the kinks are worked out, it will only improve the experience of future children who interact with the characters and will look at this as commonplace.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Mkcoastie

Smile Re: More Talking Mickey Tests - getting better!

I do hope it is live talking. I have to think that the technology Is already there in some form (turtle talk). I think this is an overall positive thing. Furry characters are getting more and more common. Heck, kids can hug a cow in Chick- fil-a most days. What used to be a special experience at Disney is slowly becoming more everyday for kids. This is just the right thing to bring back the magic to these moments. If your a 5 year old meeting Mickey and he actually. Talks to you.........that's enough. To make you think you just met the real Mickey Mouse. It'll.take us a while to get used to it, but I think we'll Come round eventually. Its a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast