• Vacation Club Member

EPCOT Odyssey Restaurant Lake

Does anyone know what is going on with the water in the pond over by the Odyssey Restaurant at EPCOT. We have been going every year since 1993 and it looks and smells like a sewer. I couldn't believe it! Is it from the hurricaines and is there a plan to clean it up?

• Banned User

After the huricins they did repaint the structure... It is used for spcecial Events... (thought the fitrst aid & Bathrooms are public domain...)

• Classic Animation

Why did they close this restaurant in the first place?

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

It was never closed in the first place. They never put the rest. in it like they thought they were going to! It is, however, in the process of becoming a rest. called the Noodle Stand, or something to that nature.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    It was never closed in the first place. They never put the rest. in it like they thought they were going to! It is, however, in the process of becoming a rest. called the Noodle Stand, or something to that nature.
    I thought the noodle stand was going into Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom.

I think another one is going there too.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

That's all good to know that it'll be used more regularly in the future as a regular restaurant, but I wonder if anyone knows about the smell from the water... the original poster's question has me intrigued. When I was there a few months ago and walked by, I actually checked the bottom of my shoe to see if I'd stepped in dog poo.

I think I remember reading somewhere that this pond is actually not a man-made one, but is actually a genuine sinkhole....

• Banned User

It was not becoming a resturaunt again... It is a Special Events pavilion.. (due to the fact not many people dined their in the first palce...)

It is like why the resturaunt on the other side of Innoventions near the Land closed and gets opened once in a while during peek time with specil foods you dont find anywhere else...

and I also herd the rumor it "was" a sinkhole they fixed and kept like that..... They wont remove the building due to the CM cafe is connected to the building... hence why it remains special events Like Flower & garden as well as Food & wine festival...

The Odyssey was a large quick service restaurant when Epcot first opened. It was not used much and later closed. It is now used for Magical Gathering Dinners and Special Events. And it is also sometimes used as a banquet facility for convention groups.

The restaurant on the other side of Innoventions suffered the same, although they did have awesome "breakfast pizza" at one time. The space is now used during the Wine and Food Festival and Garden Festivals for many of the seminars. At one point it was also a pin trading area.

• Santa Barbara, CA

They are prepping the lake for Mr. Eisner's "burial at sea" special event. :devil:
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    They are prepping the lake for Mr. Eisner's "burial at sea" special event. :devil:
    Oh great. Make it smell even worse!

You all are CRAZY! This lake/sink hole has smelled like this for some time. Could it be the all of the bird crap in it, or could it be the WDW/Epcot sewage leaking into it?

• Vacation Club Member

I go to EPCOT four or five times per year and I remember the lake looking bad, but never the smell... it was awful! as we looked down into the water there was a large snapping turtle (I think they call them alligator snapping turtles) swimming around, and a lot of debris under the bridge going into the World Showcase Lagoon. Perhaps the smell was from turtle kill remnants????

The lake was there since Epcot opened and it is not a sinkhole filled with water. As far as smell goes, I'm trying to figure out what smell is being discussed here since there hasn't been any foul odors from the lake ever that I am aware of. As for the cleanliness of the water, well figure in the trash that guests throw in there on a daily basis instead of using the trash cans lining teh walkeway, and multiply that by the 10 million plus visitors a year times the number of years since the park opened in 1982 and see how clean you might be.

• Vacation Club Member

It's not that big a deal except it was so unusual for Disney. Just a few steps from the Future World plaza it looked and smelled like a sewer. They do a great job with a truck load of people spread over a lot of space, and they do it consistantly. that's why it took us off guard.