Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Plan: Discovery Bay for MK

There was once a bluesky plan within WDI to add a Vulcania/Discovery Bay section to the Magic Kingdom. I drew this conceptual site plan to explore where such a land could go and how it might be laid out:

The key to expanding north of FLE would be a themed bridge that goes over the East-West access road and keeps all those backstage areas from view. Tokyo DisneySea has just such a bridge leading to/from its Mysterious Island:

Discovery Bay would be home to a version of Journey to the Center of the Earth, but with an extended outdoor section that drops out of the volcano's side and does two high speed helices above and below the shoreline and around a smaller caldera before re-entering the volcano for disembarkation:

Since such an expansion would require an alternate western access point, I imagined WDI planning two new sub-areas to Frontierland: a gunslingers town called Outlaw Ridge with its associated E-tick and an area I call White Canyon based on Pueblo cliff dwellings. There would then be a wilderness trail looping around the Rivers of America and connecting with Discovery Bay (with its 1880s San Fran/Barbary Coast motifs).

In this plan, I also explored the recently-discussed idea of creating a Wonderland sub-area to Fantasyland (with the recently re-named Cheshire Cafe). In this plan, Cosmic Ray's would become the Queen of Hearts banquet hall, the teacups would receive the glass petal roof and the northern half of the Speedway would be given over to a Giant Mushroom Garden play area and new Wonderland dark ride (LPS) that begins in an English Country House. This would make a thematically consistent transition from the Hub to Fantasyland. (with a new archway added to transition to Tomorrowland:

Since this is an ideal build-out site plan, I drew my hopes that Tomorrowland would one day be brought under a coherent thematic umbrella of Deco-Tech Industrial Fantasy Future. I added a walkthrough futuristic power plant based on the Large Hadron Collider over the southern half of the Speedway (to keep some of the trees/greenery in the land) and added an large, original E-ticket taking over the the Carousel of Progress & parking lot.

Thoughts on a long-term expansion plan for the MK?
    Last edited by RandySavage; 11-16-2011 at 05:42 PM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Site Plan: Discovery Bay for MK

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Musical Fireman

I love this whole idea and more Jules Verne since I'm Steampunker, but spare my beloved Carousel of Progress on behalf of my C.O.P loving brethren and "Sisteren" on this dog eat dog world we call home. It had Uncle Walt's influence for (Stinky) Pete's sake.

Other than that I have a few ideas my self so its nice to see other's still interested in this forgotten land!!

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

I really love your maps, and your expanded Frontierland sounds reminiscent of the mythic Western River Expedition, but I thought the Jules Verne/Discovery Bay/Fire Mountain stuff was allegedly going to be in-between Adventureland and Frontierland, between the Pirates and Splash Mountain show buildings...

And I'm still holding out hope they'll put the Villain's Mountain area back behind the Fantasyland Expansion some day. It's seems kind of suspicions that they're putting Gaston's Tavern back in the corner where the Villain area was rumored to go

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Thoughts on a long-term expansion plan for the MK?
    Not an expansion per se, but an overall improvement for the Magic Kingdom: Armchair Imagineering: Improving the Magic Kingdom. Only my idea will not include a Discovery Bay, but a Toontown (renamed Mickeytown), but either way, you've just given me the solution for how to go beyond Fantasyland. Here's the link for that concept: A new Toontown for WDW. Won't you please contribute ideas for that area?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tl77 View Post
    I really love your maps, and your expanded Frontierland sounds reminiscent of the mythic Western River Expedition, but I thought the Jules Verne/Discovery Bay/Fire Mountain stuff was allegedly going to be in-between Adventureland and Frontierland, between the Pirates and Splash Mountain show buildings...

And I'm still holding out hope they'll put the Villain's Mountain area back behind the Fantasyland Expansion some day. It's seems kind of suspicions that they're putting Gaston's Tavern back in the corner where the Villain area was rumored to go
    even if they wanted to put something like that in said area, all of the new attractions have literally blocked in the expansion possibilities. the only way to build something beyond the fantasyland expansion now would be to destroy something they just built.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    even if they wanted to put something like that in said area, all of the new attractions have literally blocked in the expansion possibilities. the only way to build something beyond the fantasyland expansion now would be to destroy something they just built.
    That's not true, there's a back exit planned through Belle's Village and Gaston's Tavern, plus they knocked down bigger chunks of MGM and DCA shortly after they were finished for expansion

That's not true, there's a back exit planned through Belle's Village and Gaston's Tavern, plus they knocked down bigger chunks of MGM and DCA shortly after they were finished for expansion
    I don't think Discovery Bay fits the theme of the Studios.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

^Wait, what?

I... I don't think anyone was suggesting that it does.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Minion

I've never heard of this and if it were true i would assume it would be emergency exits, which are mandatory for the building to have, or small utility entrances that lead to the backstage. even so, your supposed to walk through buildings of belles village to get through too another land? that just doesn't make sense. also your argument involving DCA and MGM are of a totally different issue. this is because in both cases they were either a) intentionally temporary constructions or b) ill advised and poor additions to begin with that needed to be changed for the betterment of the park. neither of these are the case with any part of belles village as it seems so far.

ummmm? ok? There seems to be some confusion on the ol' interwebs tonight...
    Name:  discoverybayprint.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  48.2 KB

First off, the original concept for Discovery Bay was inspired by two films..."20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Island at the top of the World"...

So theoretically this "Film based" attraction would fit the theme of the Hollywood Studios, if someone were reeeeally trying hard to find a reason to put it there... which I'm not

But some of Discovery Bay did end up in Discoveryland in Disneyland Paris...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-paris.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	15620

and the design of the airship also influenced this attraction formerly at Epcot...

Name:  3-itopworld2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  235.9 KB

But if they were going to put Discovery Bay in MK (which coincidently is the name of this thread) I think they should put it where they originally going to put it in Disneyland, the north west corner of the park, accessible by train or boat, and maybe connect by air ships to the north at end of Tom Sawyer island, or the cheaper option would be to just re-theme the current parts of Tom Sawyer to Discovery Bay...

And by the way, if you want to discuss putting a Toon Town type land at the Studios? You might put it where they were "originally" going to put it, which was on Sunset Boulevard in one of these 2 locations...

Name:	6-disneystudio-small.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	15622

But getting back to the theme of the show, "Future Expansion at The Magic Kingdom" my point is this...

There's this really large area behind the new Fantasyland buildings...

It's so big in fact, you could fit the show buildings for both "The Haunted Mansion" and "It's A Small World" back there...
    And if you look at the finished model they unveiled at the D23 this year...

That building in the center of the photo is part of Belle's Village, and behind it there's this large archway...

Name:	10-FantasylandModel-crop.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	15623

here's another view

You can tell Arch way is pretty big, but I thought there was supposed to be something behind it, so I took a look at the original Blueprints that leaked out in 2009... and originally there were supposed to be 3 Buildings in Belle's Village (below they're colored in)

Name:  11-blueprint-color.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  238.1 KB

The buildings in the back is labeled "Restrooms" next to the right is the "Merch" building, and on the left is "Gaston's Tavern" and here's a closer look without the color

Name:  12-blueprint-blowup-crop.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  235.1 KB

If the "restrooms" were part of the model, they would be visible in one of these photos

Name:  13-blueprint-photo.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  226.6 KB

sooooooooo ANYWAY? My "thoughts on future expansion at the Magic Kingdom?" Maybe they'll put something in that huge space behind the new Fantasyland, and ya know that opening at the back of Belle's Village... the one with the big Arch way to nowhere? I think that would be a perfect entrance to that Future expansion...

-hope that clears up the confusion, thank you... and good night

My "thoughts on future expansion at the Magic Kingdom?" Maybe they'll put something in that huge space behind the new Fantasyland, and ya know that opening at the back of Belle's Village... the one with the big Arch way to nowhere? I think that would be a perfect entrance to that Future expansion...

That MAY be a good spot for the expansion, but I think that "archway to nowhere", as you called it, may be about not where to go but where from. As goofy_donald explained, that may be emergency exits.

Still, that would make an ideal way of getting to another land, provided that it's not there for another purpose.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Minion

First off, the original concept for Discovery Bay was inspired by two films..."20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Island at the top of the World"...
    So theoretically this "Film based" attraction would fit the theme of the Hollywood Studios, if someone were reeeeally trying hard to find a reason to put it there... which I'm not
    But some of Discovery Bay did end up in Discoveryland in Disneyland Paris...
    and the design of the airship also influenced this attraction formerly at Epcot...
    But if they were going to put Discovery Bay in MK (which coincidently is the name of this thread) I think they should put it where they originally going to put it in Disneyland, the north west corner of the park, accessible by train or boat, and maybe connect by air ships to the north at end of Tom Sawyer island, or the cheaper option would be to just re-theme the current parts of Tom Sawyer to Discovery Bay...
    And by the way, if you want to discuss putting a Toon Town type land at the Studios? You might put it where they were "originally" going to put it, which was on Sunset Boulevard in one of these 2 locations..
    But getting back to the theme of the show, "Future Expansion at The Magic Kingdom" my point is this...
    There's this really large area behind the new Fantasyland buildings...
    It's so big in fact, you could fit the show buildings for both "The Haunted Mansion" and "It's A Small World" back there...
    And if you look at the finished model they unveiled at the D23 this year...
    That building in the center of the photo is part of Belle's Village, and behind it there's this large archway...
    here's another view
    You can tell Arch way is pretty big, but I thought there was supposed to be something behind it, so I took a look at the original Blueprints that leaked out in 2009... and originally there were supposed to be 3 Buildings in Belle's Village (below they're colored in)
    The buildings in the back is labeled "Restrooms" next to the right is the "Merch" building, and on the left is "Gaston's Tavern" and here's a closer look without the color
    If the "restrooms" were part of the model, they would be visible in one of these photos
    sooooooooo ANYWAY? My "thoughts on future expansion at the Magic Kingdom?" Maybe they'll put something in that huge space behind the new Fantasyland, and ya know that opening at the back of Belle's Village... the one with the big Arch way to nowhere? I think that would be a perfect entrance to that Future expansion...
    first off, nobody is talking about putting this in dhs, i was merely illustrating that the reasons things were knocked down so prematurely in the parks (dca, and dhs's) early years were for much different reasons then you attempted to exemplify in your previous points.

second, your idea for the north west corner of mk would never work as the railroad runs directly through the middle of the proposed area.

third, nobody is saying that the area isnt big enough for an expansion, it would just require a lot of backstage changes and quite a bit of shifting for it to work. there is also the issue of sight lines and providing space for the backstage areas and blocking from the train ect.. a lot more work then you made it out to be and keeping all things in mind, the area would definitively not be enough for a full land.

fourth, no body knows where that archway goes to or if it will even exist in the final design, none of the photos of the actual build i have seen have shown its existence. if it were to be real then most definitely it would be a backstage access point and again would require a lot of changes to make it an entrance way if it were at all possible.

Nice post! I appreciate the pics and cogent thought process. I think we can all agree that any significant post-FLE expansion to MK (a long, long way off, if it ever happens), would require some backstage infrastructure shuffling...

One thing to keep in mind is that, if history is a precedent, Disney can and will re-route train & attraction paths, demo rides and - more easily - re-route backstage roads & support areas - if they have the desire (which has happened at Disneyland many times due to its to size constraints).

Of course this costs more money than building on an empty green field, which makes me think if MK ever expands outward again, the first and easiest location will be the executive parking lots south of Tomorrowland.

tl77, I hadn't considered Gaston's Tavern being the transition to a Villain area... that's a clever idea. I've drawn another expanded version of MK that has a Villain's land, but I demo'd Small World and had a dark alley run north and east of the HM showbuilding, with the Forbidden Mountain serving as a deep backdrop to the Fantasy Forest.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

What can not be re-routed is the north drainage canal... and part of your expansion goes right through it. Also, your area would need to be shut down completely very early every night, as that entire area is inside the fallout zone for the fireworks. Also, that particular road can not be moved or relocated under any circumstance. The only reason you see that archway is because of fire code.
    -Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast