View Poll Results: E-Ticket Avatar Ride That Would Send Your Inner Dragon Soaring Highest

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Soarin'r" Ride System That Utilizes Projected 3D Images

    6 22.22%
  • Indoor Coaster &/or Darkride (perhaps w/Outdoor Coaster Element) Including AAs & Projected 3D Images

    12 44.44%
  • Musical Attraction Similar To Small World, With Peter Pan Ride System

    1 3.70%
  • More Than One of the Above Ride Ideas

    6 22.22%
  • Other

    5 18.52%
  • None

    2 7.41%
  • I'll Be Back With You After Discussing This With Producer James Cameron

    2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    314

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    What this comes across as is Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey re-skinned with Avatar stuff. The Forbidden Journey ride expands upon what Universal did in their Spider-man ride with animatronics. The closest Disney has to the Forbidden Journey Ride is Soaring.

    Since the Forbidden Journey is currently my favorite theme park ride, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

  2. #17

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Oh it's delightfully on topic. You are saying that Disney has announced a 3-D flying attraction when that is just not the case.
    My thread title is worded, Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board - meaning concept board. I've related thru my title that it's a concept since Post 1. I could have made this more clear in my conversational discourse. But, I thopught that was understoo, Neverthe less, it is officially on the conceptual drawing board. I think that this and logic dictate that a ride of theis nature is highly likely to be built in Avatar Land.

    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Direct quote from the Wikipedia article linked to: "Although exact details of the attractions have not yet been announced or even devised, James Cameron confirmed that a flying attraction featuring "3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film" was a concept on the drawing board for the area."

    That is a ride concept, and certainly not an official announcement by anyone involved, not even Cameron..he was speaking of a theoretical element, with many more left unsaid I am sure. Just my take on it from reading the source.
    I indicated that the ride is on the conceptual drawing board in my thread title. Plus, my having a poll that asks people what type of an attraction they want demonstrates that I'm not promoting the ride as fact. It won't happen till it happens. That said, it is a new viablel rumor and to that end it is news.

    ---------- Post added 11-27-2011 at 12:29 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    What this comes across as is Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey re-skinned with Avatar stuff. The Forbidden Journey ride expands upon what Universal did in their Spider-man ride with animatronics. The closest Disney has to the Forbidden Journey Ride is Soaring.

    Since the Forbidden Journey is currently my favorite theme park ride, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
    Neither Disney nor Cameron have announced (even conceptually) what ride genra or type the attraction will be. So, no, Disney isn't following Universal's Forbidden Journey lead. If anybody is copying, it is Universal as they new far in advance of Potter that Disney was planning a land of myth and magic for animal Kingdom.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  3. #18

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glendale County, CA
    Posts
    740

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by thedude76
    What this comes across as is Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey re-skinned with Avatar stuff. The Forbidden Journey ride expands upon what Universal did in their Spider-man ride with animatronics. The closest Disney has to the Forbidden Journey Ride is Soaring.

    Since the Forbidden Journey is currently my favorite theme park ride, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
    The closest I can see such a ride getting to Forbidden Journey is Pandora's Box. They can't mirrio the tech used for HP since Universal bought the lock on Kula.

  4. #19

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I don't understand that need to site a 100% reliable news source, as that has nothing to do with the fact that Wikipedia is not reliable. Just because other news sites aren't 100% reliable, doesn't make Wikipedia 100% reliable.

    Disney has not confirmed any attraction for Avatar-Land. That doesn't change because of Wikipedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Oh it's delightfully on topic. You are saying that Disney has announced a 3-D flying attraction when that is just not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Direct quote from the Wikipedia article linked to: "Although exact details of the attractions have not yet been announced or even devised, James Cameron confirmed that a flying attraction featuring "3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film" was a concept on the drawing board for the area."

    That is a ride concept, and certainly not an official announcement by anyone involved, not even Cameron..he was speaking of a theoretical element, with many more left unsaid I am sure. Just my take on it from reading the source.
    Bingo x 3.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  5. #20

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    The closest I can see such a ride getting to Forbidden Journey is Pandora's Box. They can't mirrio the tech used for HP since Universal bought the lock on Kula.
    Avatar has nothing to do with Forbidden Journey, technology, theming, or in any other way. i doubt the natives of Pandora even know what a broom is.

    Correctomundo, Freakazoid. I doubt that the natives of Pandora even know what a broom is.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  6. #21

    •   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Posts
    65,712
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    This is from the Wiki article:

    James Cameron confirmed that a flying attraction featuring "3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film" was a concept on the drawing board for the area.[4]
    The "source" of that quote is attributed to this article:

    Disney to license rights to 'Avatar' for theme park attractions - Los Angeles Times

    And this is in the article:

    A flying attraction, 3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film are all concepts on the drawing board for the park, Cameron said. The creators of "Avatar" say they will be hands-on in developing the attraction, as Rowling was with the Potter attraction.
    So while the LA Times article does attribute the possibility of 3D projections to Cameron, it is not directly quoted from him, but inferred that he actually said it.


    That being said, there is a reason teachers will not let students use Wiki as a source for school work....

    And a related thread where Disney working on an Avatar themed project is confirmed by their own blog:

    James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-Themed

    Feel free to continue to discuss the merits and speculation about the attractions themselves and about the possible rides and attractions that may or may not be on board for Disney in the future, and accept that any source, even the most credible, can at times be wrong with the information they present. And even wiki people can use cites, but can put their own spin in what the write into the wiki article.




    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

  7. #22

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Neither Disney nor Cameron have announced (even conceptually) what ride genra or type the attraction will be. So, no, Disney isn't following Universal's Forbidden Journey lead. If anybody is copying, it is Universal as they new far in advance of Potter that Disney was planning a land of myth and magic for animal Kingdom.
    Wait....what!?

    That just came across as the uber Disney fanboy who loves anything/everything Disney does just because its Disney. How on earth did Universal copy Disney? Since they knew that Disney was building a land of "myth and magic". That's copying? Seriously? Think about that genre: Myth and Magic. Its so infinitely huge that it beyond logic to say that one park is copying another for the use of a Myth and Magic theme.

    It's like saying Knotts copied Disneyland in 2002 with Xcelerator. Or like saying Del Taco copied Taco Bell buy selling tacos. Its beyond me how you can use that reasoning to say that Universal copied Disney. Beastly Kingdom was nothing like Wizarding World. Beastly Kingdom was about dragons and unicorns. Wizarding World is about wizards and Harry Potter.

    Honestly, you come across as a Disney elitist. Disney has to be better than everyone just because their Disney. That is the reputation that Disney has built over the past half-century however I do believe that are losing near all evidence to back it up because Universal has been kicking butt in recent years, especially Forbidden Journey. What's wrong with people comparing it to Forbidden Journey if it is the best? Don't you want the best? I sure do. I'd be content if Imagineering took a que from Forbidden Journey in designing Avatarland.

    None the less, I'm still against this whole idea of putting aliens in an earth-based park. But who cares. Should challenge Imagineers to actually make a super E-Ticket that can rival Forbidden Journey that uses a completely unique ride system.
    Last edited by Ice101; 11-27-2011 at 10:58 AM.

  8. #23

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,495

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Yeah, designs that were cut from a film, and therefore nothing that's been seen before, are MUCH better than original designs by Disney Imagineers. More money wasted.

  9. #24

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    This is from the Wiki article:



    The "source" of that quote is attributed to this article:

    Disney to license rights to 'Avatar' for theme park attractions - Los Angeles Times

    And this is in the article:



    So while the LA Times article does attribute the possibility of 3D projections to Cameron, it is not directly quoted from him, but inferred that he actually said it.


    That being said, there is a reason teachers will not let students use Wiki as a source for school work....

    And a related thread where Disney working on an Avatar themed project is confirmed by their own blog:

    James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-Themed

    Feel free to continue to discuss the merits and speculation about the attractions themselves and about the possible rides and attractions that may or may not be on board for Disney in the future, and accept that any source, even the most credible, can at times be wrong with the information they present. And even wiki people can use cites, but can put their own spin in what the write into the wiki article.
    Thank you, penguinsoda, for locating the LA Times source that had been listed by Wiki.

    LA Times article:
    A flying attraction, 3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film are all concepts on the drawing board for the park, Cameron said. The creators of "Avatar" say they will be hands-on in developing the attraction, as Rowling was with the Potter attraction.

    Due to the fact that the LA times did not place quotation marks around the information they say he made, there is a shadow of a doubt over what he has said. Nevertheless, I find reason enough to believe the Cameron information to be acurate until he says otherwise.

    Like all other rumors, this one may or may not happen. It remains a valid rumor, nevertheless. It is by far not out of the realm of possibility that Cameron and Disney will use holographic projections in at least one attraction at the upcoming Avatar Land.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-27-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  10. #25

    • Insomniac
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Wonderful World of Utah?
    Posts
    1,968

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    My problem with the idea of doing a "flying attraction" is that unless it's a animatronics filled roller coaster there is no way I can even picture it that would make it different from ST. Every time I try to imagine what it would look like I keep seeing Kashyk on ST but with blue people instead of wookies and dragons instead of speeders. Avatar is just too close to the idea of star wars IMO. Forget being original for the business it doesn't even sound like it will be original for the resort. As fun as an Avatar land sounds I just don't know how disney is going to pull it off and make it completely unique. And if it turns out like Dinoland USA I might give up faith in Disney for good.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

  11. #26

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,653

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Thank you, penguinsoda, for locating the LA Times source that had been listed by Wiki.

    LA Times article:
    A flying attraction, 3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film are all concepts on the drawing board for the park, Cameron said. The creators of "Avatar" say they will be hands-on in developing the attraction, as Rowling was with the Potter attraction.

    Due to the fact that the LA times did not place quotation marks around the information they say he made, there is a shadow of a doubt over what he has said. Nevertheless, I find reason enough to believe the Cameron information to be acurate until he says otherwise.

    Like all other rumors, this one may or may not happen. It remains a valid rumor, nevertheless. It is by far not out of the realm of possibility that Cameron and Disney will use holographic projections in at least one attraction at the upcoming Avatar Land.
    true, but that's what others have been saying here. it is a valid RUMOR that these possibilities are true with some backing evidence. there is a big difference between that and what the inflection of your thread has made itself out to be. perhaps for the future you should clarify the statement being made a bit further and give it the rumor title as opposed to news. that way it should avoid any of the "heat" so to speak you have taken so far for the thread.

  12. #27

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    99

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

    It seems obvious that the E ticket for Avatarland would be a Harry Potter-esque attraction but taken to the next level.
    This would also be the best way to immerse guests into the land of Pandora.

  13. #28

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    Wait....what!?

    That just came across as the uber Disney fanboy who loves anything/everything Disney does just because its Disney. How on earth did Universal copy Disney? Since they knew that Disney was building a land of "myth and magic". That's copying? Seriously? Think about that genre: Myth and Magic. Its so infinitely huge that it beyond logic to say that one park is copying another for the use of a Myth and Magic theme.

    It's like saying Knotts copied Disneyland in 2002 with Xcelerator. Or like saying Del Taco copied Taco Bell buy selling tacos. Its beyond me how you can use that reasoning to say that Universal copied Disney. Beastly Kingdom was nothing like Wizarding World. Beastly Kingdom was about dragons and unicorns. Wizarding World is about wizards and Harry Potter.

    Honestly, you come across as a Disney elitist. Disney has to be better than everyone just because their Disney. That is the reputation that Disney has built over the past half-century however I do believe that are losing near all evidence to back it up because Universal has been kicking butt in recent years, especially Forbidden Journey. What's wrong with people comparing it to Forbidden Journey if it is the best? Don't you want the best? I sure do. I'd be content if Imagineering took a que from Forbidden Journey in designing Avatarland.

    None the less, I'm still against this whole idea of putting aliens in an earth-based park. But who cares. Should challenge Imagineers to actually make a super E-Ticket that can rival Forbidden Journey that uses a completely unique ride system.
    Sure. Just because there are a few people on the MC board that insist the only reason that Disney is creating Avatar Land is out of a knee jerk reaction to Universal's Wizarding World (and more particular Forbidden Journey) does not mean that this accusation has been tried and proven in a court of law. I have just as much rationality and right to insinuate the opposite.

    You have already indicated that you accept my earler reasoning that both HP and AL utilizr myth and magic....although you say that leaves too large a gap for a conclusion to be drawn that Uni reacted to or copied Disney. I say it's evidence enough. But to further elaborate, Beastly Kingdom was to have been a completely original and based on the fact that there was no talk of incorporating movie based attractions into it. A large part of the land was to feature magical mythalogical creatures, with drogaons being predomidantly featured.

    So, what did Universal do? They intentionally beat disney to the quick. Uni didn't have enuff imagination or guts to come up with and take a risk on an original land, so it bought in to an outside franchise, Harry Potter....a movie brand that relies heavily on magical mythological creatures. and dragons being heavily emphasized. So, there it is....Uni copied disney, and I am surprised at never having heard a peep over Universal's Potter Land from those here that incessently complain about Disney's lack of compunction to create original non-movie based attractions. Disney did not simply react to Universal. Disney reacted to Universal reacting to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Yeah, designs that were cut from a film, and therefore nothing that's been seen before, are MUCH better than original designs by Disney Imagineers. More money wasted.
    There's nothing here that says that Designs from Disney Imagineers would not be used, too. Plus, the creative license of imagineers could likely be heavily relied upon in the design of those cut from the movie as well. I think that it would be cool if Disney took a risk on featuring creatures cut from the film that nobody saw in the film.

    ---------- Post added 11-27-2011 at 02:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    My problem with the idea of doing a "flying attraction" is that unless it's a animatronics filled roller coaster there is no way I can even picture it that would make it different from ST. Every time I try to imagine what it would look like I keep seeing Kashyk on ST but with blue people instead of wookies and dragons instead of speeders. Avatar is just too close to the idea of star wars IMO. Forget being original for the business it doesn't even sound like it will be original for the resort. As fun as an Avatar land sounds I just don't know how disney is going to pull it off and make it completely unique. And if it turns out like Dinoland USA I might give up faith in Disney for good.
    This is why I didn't mention a Star Tours genra of ride in my poll. A Soarin' type of a ride (with holographic projections used in conjunction) would be quite unique. Hopefully, Disney will consider something along these lines. My coaster and/or darkride idea would accomodate animatronics to the hilt, of course. That would be cool, too. there are plenty of other potential ideas out there. Let me know, if anybody has one to share.

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    true, but that's what others have been saying here. it is a valid RUMOR that these possibilities are true with some backing evidence. there is a big difference between that and what the inflection of your thread has made itself out to be. perhaps for the future you should clarify the statement being made a bit further and give it the rumor title as opposed to news. that way it should avoid any of the "heat" so to speak you have taken so far for the thread.
    Thank you goofy donald. My title underscores that this is a rumor, but i should have listed it as such....even though the report of Cameron's comments by the LA Times is news. In the interest of being more accurate, I will try to re-designate the thread as "Rumor".


    ---------- Post added 11-27-2011 at 03:05 PM ----------


    Quote Originally Posted by wdwprince View Post
    It seems obvious that the E ticket for Avatarland would be a Harry Potter-esque attraction but taken to the next level.
    This would also be the best way to immerse guests into the land of Pandora.
    Couldn't agree more, wdwprince! When Disney takes an attraction type to a whole new level, it can virtually create an exciting new and cleverly different ride genra.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-27-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  14. #29

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    So, what did Universal do? They intentionally beat disney to the quick. Uni didn't have enuff imagination or guts to come up with and take a risk on an original land, so it bought in to an outside franchise, Harry Potter....a movie brand that relies heavily on magical mythological creatures. and dragons being heavily emphasized. So, there it is....Uni copied disney, and I am surprised at never having heard a peep over Universal's Potter Land from those here that incessently complain about Disney's lack of compunction to create original non-movie based attractions. Disney did not simply react to Universal. Disney reacted to Universal reacting to it.
    You do realize Universal's slogan has long been "Ride the Movies"?

    None the less, your logic still baffles me and comes across as a Disney elitist none the less. Not trying to deny that Universal has never copied Disney, but the situation your provided is hardly an example of such.

  15. #30

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    You do realize Universal's slogan has long been "Ride the Movies"?

    None the less, your logic still baffles me and comes across as a Disney elitist none the less. Not trying to deny that Universal has never copied Disney, but the situation your provided is hardly an example of such.
    I respect your difference of opinion, but hold the evidence that I've used to support my counter opinion strong enough to call into question Universal's having reacted to Disney's potential competition at Animal Kingdom.

    You and I do seem to be making progress in our viewpoints regarding Uni and Disney in that we each agree that Uni has been just as guilty in the past of building new attractions simply to react to competition.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-Themed
    By DisneyManiac in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM
  2. James Cameron's 'Avatar' - Poll Added
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •